Rules Of War - Page 2 of 4

I think all of you had some good things to - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 10th Aug, 2007 - 1:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Are there actual rules of war that need to be followed or is war something that has no restrictions?
3rd Aug, 2007 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Rules Of War - Page 2

The real rules of War.

Kill or be killed.

Live or Die.

Survive or go extinct.

When the other side does not follow the so called Rules of War what do you do?You fight as dirty as them.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 3rd Aug, 2007 - 12:07am

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Sponsored Links:
3rd Aug, 2007 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

War Rules

QUOTE (Dbackers)
When the other side does not follow the so called Rules of War what do you do?

With the advent of preemptive strikes one has to sit back and wonder who is dirty? Also the use of terrorism which also includes sniper attacks and inside missions - is this part of the 'Rules'?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3215 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

3rd Aug, 2007 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Rules Of War History & Civil Business Politics

I was being a little Tongue in cheek when I wrote this, but I definitely have some quams about the way the Wars are being fought today.

When a country chooses to go to war I believe it is more Humane to go in quickly, try to win it, and do it quickly and violently enough to get to the point where you can help the Population rebuild. Sometimes in doing that members of that Civilian population may get killed. Sometimes you may do something that crosses the line But the first responsibility of a commanding officer is to protect his men.

Consider the following quote from the News week article "Rules of Engagement" by Rod Nordland and Babak Dehghanpisheh:

In the battle for Fallujah the insurgents feigned surrender, waving white flags to approach within killing range of U.S. Marines and Iraqi government forces. They positioned their fighters in mosques, medical centers and civilian neighborhoods. They booby-trapped their fallen comrades' corpses and shot at crews trying to collect the Muslim dead. Practically every taboo has been discarded. Women, children and international relief groups have become deliberate targets. Ambulances are used to smuggle weapons. Torture of hostages has become a public spectacle, with videos passed out like press kits to TV stations, and posted on the Internet when the Arabic channels balk at showing such atrocities.

I would not want to be an American Soldier with the pressure of determining if a wounded man was a terrorist faking it or a truly enemy combatant. Would I shoot the person if I saw his hand go for something in his pocket? I might if I thought my life was threatened. I would probably be in a jail right now because of it. If a group of armed terrorists entered a mosque and I had the option of destroying that mosque would I do it(They did with Christian churches in World War 2)?

The Rules of War are fine if both sides are following it. But when one side attacks civilians intentionally (which Alqueda in Iraq is doing every day) does it not require the other side to change their tactics.

1. Declaration of War.
2. War should be limited to achieving a specific goal and it should end quickly.
3. Protect both combatants and non-combatants from undue suffering.
4. Soldiers should wear a distinctive uniform.
5. Help to bring peace afterwards.

I believe American Soldiers by far follow the rules of war (Of course there are exceptions, but very, very few) even at the cost of their own lives.

The other side follows one. They have declared war, after that they break every rule of war. (Intentionally killing civilians, beheading of captured soldiers, real torture, suicide bombings, never wearing distinctive uniforms, could care less about the suffering of combatants and non-combatants. Peace is the Farthest thing from their minds.)

Again I ask When the other side does not follow the so called Rules of War what do you do?

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

3rd Aug, 2007 - 1:48am / Post ID: #

Page 2 War Rules

QUOTE (Dbackers)
Again I ask When the other side does not follow the so called Rules of War what do you do?

For me full scale war is not much different from a family home invasion, but very different from a preemptive attack. If someone breaks into my home I will first try to scare them off, but if they choose to linger then I will have to give the full treatment for such boldness. I believe the same is needed in any kind of war. However, if I suspect someone may invade my home I do not think there is a 'rule' to say I should go and attack him in his home first. You see, setting up rules puts up questions.

This is how I see it... war is war, there will be killing, bloodshed, rapes, stealing and utter destruction of societal values. The only rules are the ones that the winning army chooses to enforce.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3215 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

3rd Aug, 2007 - 4:02am / Post ID: #

War Rules

We could take this one step further. Say you are a country that declares war on another country and you lose. You sign a treaty of surrender that says you will comply with certain obligations...without objection or defiance. Failure to comply is stated that the war is back on and you will be invaded. You get your cease fire and are allowed to retain your government, but you do not comply with the obligations. You are invaded... was this a preemptive strike or a resumption of the war you started?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

3rd Aug, 2007 - 1:45pm / Post ID: #

Rules Of War

Logically it is a resumption of war, however again with my point... the one has won already and is already in control so at anytime they can say that there was a violation of terms and there is no way for the losing country to prove otherwise to satisfaction of its victors. It is like being locked in a prison and then told to prove your innocence. Again I say there are no real rules save for the ones that the winning country chooses to impose.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th Aug, 2007 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Rules Of War
A Friend

Rules War - Page 2

I have to agree with all you other members but today the world faces a different kind of war.

I remember this scene in a movie where the actress points to a painting which shows a jehadi terrorist with an ak-47 pointed at an unarmed man on his knees.. Then she says, "Who would you rather prefer to be? The person who is going to kill an innocent man or the man who is on his knees waiting to die?"

So, in my opinion, all the rules of war fall flat on their face because we have not seen any war on such a major scale as the world wars...

Post Date: 10th Aug, 2007 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

Rules Of War
A Friend

Rules War Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

I think all of you had some good things to say about this topic. Firstly I had asked my dad about this previously and he said "yeah, there are and most countries try to follow them and try to be as humane as possible, but if the Germans won WWII would their leaders hae been convicted as War criminals, no. Some one added though Ill treat your prisoners nicely if you treat ours and that is the way I like to look at it. I also saw where some of you posted basic rules of War and it had stated that Armies must have clear uniforms, and the green berets are an exception to that rule when they go undercover to train guerillas, but if caught dressed like a civillian they are no longer helped by the Geneva convention rules of prisoners.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Rules Of War

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,