Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence? - Page 3 of 4

A common fallacy related to worthiness and - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Feb, 2007 - 12:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 12th May, 2006 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence?
A Friend

Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence? - Page 3

Of one thing you can be sure: The Gospel is One Eternal Round.

Let us not get hung-up on whether we were valiant or not in the pre-existence.

Those who come to earth and die as infants do not have an "easier" time of it than we do, nor do they have a more "difficult" time of it. The qualifications for eternal life are clear, and they apply to everyone. There is no free pass. Those who come here "just for a body" still have to endure to the end. In our own time and in our own way...we will both have to be tried and tested.

If we are to have Abraham's blessings, then we must be tested even as Abraham was. Not the exact kind of test, but similar in that it will be a deep paradox and will stretch our faith.

Sponsored Links:
13th May, 2006 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

Existence Pre The It Blow We Did

The babies who die before the age of accountability do go to the celestial kingdom, but do they get what us on earth who get married in the temple get? Do the scriptures not say that you need to be married in the temple to be exalted and the people that are not married can get into the CK but are only angels, right? They preach the gospel and serve the Lord. I don't think they can be exalted so is that better than those who do reach the age of accountability and then get married in the temple and go on to lead good lives? Unless they get to "try again" someday? Does anyone know the answer to that?

13th May, 2006 - 1:29am / Post ID: #

Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Angbart those questions seem to be going off topic and I am sure that they are covered elsewhere in this Board - did you Search before asking?

To answer in the simplest terms: Just as Baptism for the Dead was provided because the lord knew there would be those who did not get the 'chance' so too all things will be made available in the due course of time. It is for this reason there is 1,000 years - a time to rebuild, learn, make-up (as you will) and so forth. I believe Knowltonutah established that point well.

13th May, 2006 - 1:29am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Existence Pre The It Blow We Did

The babies who die before the age of accountability do go to the celestial kingdom, but do they get what us on earth who get married in the temple get?
This is the work we do in the temple, we redeem the dead by performing these ordinances for them, by proxy. All those who would have received these ordinances, but were not given that opportunity in mortality, will be given that blessing. This is part of our great latter day work. This also includes all those who lived on the earth during the apostacy.

13th May, 2006 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

Existence Pre The It Blow We Did

I am not completely sure how much I subscribe to this idea, but there have been people who were told in blessings, and other sources, that they would have the opportunity to raise their children who died - during the Millennium. I don't have any theological problem at all with this idea, I just don't take any assurance in it either.

But then my views on mortal progression, as well as many other things, aren't exactly orthodox, either.

Post Date: 15th May, 2006 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Book of Abraham makes it clear that in the antemortal existence that where any two things exist that one shall be above the other. This applies to the intelligences and spirits that were before the world was, as well as the stars and planets of our universe. So certainly there is some variance in degree of intelligence (in the Abrahamic sense of the word) between those who expire as children under the age of 8 and those who continue on past that age.

Out of definitive docrtine and into personal opinion, I believe that our Heavenly Father knows us well enough already. He was able to choose Jehovah to become the Messiah and plot out the time and birth of every one of His children. So what purpose is there in proving us if He already understands how we will respond to trial? I feel strongly that our purpose in being here is to come to understand our own nature, which, as Joseph taught, we do by learning the nature of God. If a child of Heavenly Father made such progress in the antemortal existence as to fully understand themselves and their relation to their Father, then the time they would need on Earth to develop would be substantially decreased and would most likely be limited to a) their need to obtain a physical body and cool.gif what mission they had to fulfill in the lives of others.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th May, 2006 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Did We Blow It The Pre Existence - Page 3

If a child of Heavenly Father made such progress in the antemortal existence as to fully understand themselves and their relation to their Father, then the time they would need on Earth to develop would be substantially decreased and would most likely be limited to a) their need to obtain a physical body and  what mission they had to fulfill in the lives of others.

This is beautifully put, I have never really thought of it in the way you decribed it. I can understand the logic, behind it.

Post Date: 24th Feb, 2007 - 12:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Did We Blow It The Pre Existence Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

A common fallacy related to worthiness and the premortal existence is not often addressed or corrected. Prior to the 1978 lifting of the priesthood ban, many members taught that descendants of native Africans had been rebellious or unrighteous in the premortal realm, and that is why they were denied the priesthood.

This could not be further from the truth, for one simple reason.

There have been millions of African infants/children that have died before reaching the accountable age of eight years old. All of them are assured of Celestial glory. But wait...aren't these the same people (blacks) who were not valiant in the premortal conflict? Isn't that why they were denied the priesthood, I.e. their lack of valiance?

Yet here millions of them are guaranteed Celestial glory hereafter, perhaps millions more than infants/children of other ethnicities "worthy" of the priesthood before 1978. I heave an inner sigh when I hear uninformed individuals within the Church regurgitate the same premortal myth, namely, that blacks weren't valiant in the premortal life.

If that's true, why then have more black children died before the age of eight than Caucasian infants/children? I'm setting forth these statistics based on the populations of Africa anciently and presently, along with the largely-unmitigated mortality rate in that large continent, versus the mortality rate of European or American societies.

I do believe that God determines when, where and to what nation we will be born. It's my opinion that He does not spin the earth, slam His finger down randomly and declare, "So-and-so shall be born here at 750 A.D." With that in mind, it would appear that a large host of the most valiant, worthy and premortally-righteous children of God have entered this life through African descent...the supposedly unworthy "race."

In the interest of clarity, allow me to say that I am Caucasian and have no hidden agenda or message to push by posting any of my views in this regard. I simply tire of the same doctrinal errors regarding the premortal life and whether any "race" or ethnicity blew it based on the pigmentation in their epidermis. I hope this post falls within the purview of this thread's content.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,