Quebec & Canada

Quebec Canada - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 23rd Nov, 2006 - 12:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Canada Will Quebec become a nation unto itself?
13th Feb, 2005 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Quebec & Canada

The last vote for independence was very close. Quebec's government has said that 50% +1 vote is enough to start negotiations for a sovereign nation status. I have many friends in Canada and have talked about this a great deal. First, do you think that Quebec will eventually secede from Canada and become a sovereign nation? Secondly, what do you think will happen to the remainder of Canada in the event that Quebec leaves the union?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_independence

As you can see, Quebec has been working on this for quite some time. They have also, for a long time, seen themselves as different from the rest of Canada.

https://english.republiquelibre.org/history...-movements.html

What are your thoughts,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Sponsored Links:
14th Feb, 2005 - 4:40am / Post ID: #

Canada and Quebec

We used to have an in-depth topic about this presented by a former Canadian member. I was searching for it, but it seemed to be lost now (due to a change over of DB from text to MySQL). One of the concerns that was brought up in that thread was basically if Quebec could support itself and if they would have the same recognition in the World as Canada now does as a whole.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

14th Feb, 2005 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

Quebec & Canada History & Civil Business Politics

I can add a site that shows a thought on that from some people in Quebec. However, they do believe that they could actually stand alone as a national entity. However, I agree, due to their size that they would be hampered being seen in the same light as Canada is currently.

The majority of Canadians that I have talked with (Brittish Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and New Foundland) believe that if Quebec were to secede from Canada, that perhaps all of Canada would eventually seek statehood in the US. I am wondering if some of the members here have the same thoughts?

Also, the writers of the Constitution already saw this as a distinct possibility and Canada's admission to statehood would possibily be fairly easy.

What are others thoughts on this?

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

14th Feb, 2005 - 3:05pm / Post ID: #

Canada and Quebec

Now that is an interesting theory that I have never before heard. Why would Canadians want to give up their independence and sovereignty to fall under the red, white and blue? Is it something you are personally interested in? Why would the US even want to include Canada as a State(s)? Is this really related to the split or are we talking about another topic here?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

14th Feb, 2005 - 4:37pm / Post ID: #

Canada and Quebec

Seriously, I have talked to many Canadians. My work has had me in Canada for quite some time in the past. When the discussion came up on Quebec, it always ended up in that many of the providences would seek statehood. The reason was that Quebec actually represented a significant amount of the GNP of Canada. Should the providence leave, Canada's GNP would severely suffer and many have said that they would then be better off under statehood.

Of course, there were those that said it would never happen. I was more surprised by the overwhelming majority that said the country would fall.

That was why I phrased my question in 2 parts. I was actually interested in whether or not someone on this board would mention it.

Vincenzo

A couple of links (they are biased...but there are those that think like this):
https://members.aol.com/XPUS/ForQCsep.html
https://members.aol.com/XPUS/Canada.html

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 14th Feb, 2005 - 4:46pm

14th Feb, 2005 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Quebec & Canada

Why would Canadians want to give up their independence and sovereignty to fall under the red, white and blue?

Because the US rocks! laugh.gif Seriously, if the remainder of Canada would be so adversely effected, then they cannot allow Quebec to leave. This is much like when the US south wanted to leave the US and form their own country. Our leaders decided that we could not allow such an action. It would destroy the nation as a whole.

I cannot imagine large parts of Canada becoming states in the US. The political and social structure is much different from what it is in the US. I am not sure most US citizens would want to grant statehood to these provinces. The balance of power could change the entire social and political structure of the US, if they did.

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 14th Feb, 2005 - 4:49pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Nov, 2005 - 4:02am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Quebec & Canada

DEBATE STILL RAGES ON 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF QUEBEC'S SOVEREIGNTY REFERENDUM

Quebec Premier Jean Charest called federalism the "best choice for the future of Quebec" as provincial separatists vowed to achieve independence on Sunday, the tenth anniversary of the province's second referendum on sovereignty.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...nty-051030.html

Post Date: 23rd Nov, 2006 - 12:29pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Quebec & Canada Politics Business Civil & History

Breaking News

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he will introduce a motion in the Commons recognizing that Quebecers form a nation within Canada.
Ref. cbc.ca

> TOPIC: Quebec & Canada

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,