Age Differences In Relationships - Page 5 of 14

QUOTE One of the reasons my first marriage - Page 5 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 15th Nov, 2006 - 12:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (14) »
14th Dec, 2005 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Age Differences In Relationships - Page 5

So, I pose the question now gentle reader: "What is the appropriate age difference? It seems that where Hollywood is considered, it's perfectly acceptable to bear the children of a man old enough to be your parent and in some instances, grandparent -- but, for women it is taboo to even date a younger man, let alone have a serious relationship.

Is it a case where what is good for the goose is not good for the gander? I'm truly interested in what the other posters have to say. Personally, I've been involved with men who were significantly younger -- not 12, mind you. But old enough to at least vote. Opinions welcome!

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Dec, 2005 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

Age Differences In Relationships
A Friend

Relationships Differences Age

I agree with what Hower said about the difference between the age. It is certainly different for a 16 year old and a 13 year old to be dating, but when they are 23 and 20, it's completely different.

As for a general age difference, exluding children, it really depends on the people. A 35 year old might fall in love with a 20 year old, and they may be completely compatible with one another. My grandpa and his wife are 16 years apart, and they are two of the happiest people I have ever seen. But, two people could be 15 years apart, and be on completely different emotional and maturity levels, and it's just a bad mix.

14th Dec, 2005 - 3:06pm / Post ID: #

Age Differences In Relationships Health & Special Psychology

I respect what you're saying Babyblues. I also agree that when the age difference takes into consideration a maturity level, it's a more acceptable idea. When Mary Kay was brought into the conversation, things got incredibly clear-cut. That was a (what was supposed to be) emotionally mature woman with a 12-yr-old boy. That was not at all what I believe to be acceptable, however I am also not the judge, jury and executioner for anyone except myself. When you're in your 30s and you're seeing someone in their 20s, I don't see what the problem is if you're both on the same emotional "page."

Post Date: 31st Dec, 2005 - 11:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 5 Relationships Differences Age

I don't think you can really lay out an acceptable age difference in these kind of cases. It's just like BabyBlues said on her post. It varies from person to person and the "couple" might or might not be compatible to enter a long-term relationship.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think it's really safe to let a teen be that in touch with an adult, because things can easily go out of control in the flare of the moment, if you catch my drift. The relationship quickly becomes something that neither the teen nor the adult really desired, or that at least one of them didn't. So, no, I don't think such relationships should occur until both of them are effectively mature.

14th Nov, 2006 - 7:50pm / Post ID: #

Relationships Differences Age

I was wondering, what is the fascination with some older men to date younger women? When I used to work on radio, this DJ on his middle/late 30's would not date anyone over 20 or 21, yep...the girls were very young.. 13, 14 or more younger than him. He would choose to date younger girls because it was his preference, based on his opinion and also (based on what he told a co-worker) "young girls do anything that an older men tells them to because they see you as experienced and you are in charge of the relationship for obvious reasons of age and maturity". He eventually got married to a nice woman (yes, much younger than him)

Now, this bring another point: What is the fascination of some young women to date older men? It seems like some of them see the guy as a "trophy", you know... to know that an older men is interested in them, maybe they feel somehow that because of it, they look more "mature"?

Sometimes ago I was in a taxi and the driver stopped at the traffic light, and looking at the window I saw this man probably on his 50's holding hands with a girl not older than 20...in the beginning I thought it was the father holding hands with the daughter until I saw them kissing on a corner. laugh.gif

For men, it seems like dating younger girls make them automatically more "handsome" "younger" and their self-esteem goes to the roof. For younger women, it seems like they are looking for "security" in older men, could it be an absent paternal figure they are looking for? When I was in my last year of High-School I had a very good friend who used to like this guy who worked in clothing store. She was 17, he was 27. She was crazy at the fact that he was "interested" in her, my counsel of not going after the guy were in vain. She end up having only one date and everything went sour after the guy "took" what he was looking for and finished. This same friend, come from a dysfunctional family where no father figure was present. She got married young (when she was 20) to a much older man in town.

What's your opinion psychologically speaking on these two patters?

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2006 - 3:16am / Post ID: #

A Friend

For some, it may be true. But for others, at least I know from my own personal relationship, it's just because we're compatible. Age isn't an issue. The only time we ever think about it is if somebody brings it to our attention.

I think motives can be questioned when you see some 90 year old millionare married to some 20 year old who looks like she should be dancing on a table.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Nov, 2006 - 4:30am / Post ID: #

Age Differences Relationships - Page 5

One of the reasons my first marriage failed (married to a man 17 years my senior) was that he treated me like one of his children - and in fact, I was only 4 years older than his oldest daughter. In the beginning, it wasn't a problem, but once we'd had a child and I'd matured somewhat, it really got irritating.

I do believe that a lot of older men date younger women to feel younger, that somehow dating a younger woman will keep him in a younger frame of mind or lifestyle or whatever it is. The midlife crisis we all hear about. However, I also believe that these men have difficulty "growing up" themselves. The desire to stay in a younger lifestyle is just denying a fact of life - aging.

15th Nov, 2006 - 12:09pm / Post ID: #

Age Differences Relationships Psychology Special & Health - Page 5

One of the reasons my first marriage failed (married to a man 17 years my senior) was that he treated me like one of his children

I think that's one of the reasons some of them do it, because they feel that somehow they can "control" them and do as they please. And it happens...I know many young girls from Paraguay who ran away from their countries to move to Argentina because they were in relationships where their boyfriends/husbands were much older than them and their relationship became abusive.

It is pretty obvious in my opinion who is in charge of a relationship when there is someone much older and experienced than the other person. Not to mention that another reason is more "physical" than anything else, if you all know what I mean.

I know some women may like that (the man always in control) but I think when they grow up and mature things start changing. The fascination or admiration they had for their older boyfriends/husbands fades off and the men (aware of that) start looking for another young woman once again.

Of course it doesn't happen in all cases but I have seen many of them.

Rather off topic, but...
Farseer, this thread reminds me of the experiences you always tell me about in the SA activities. The guys need probably fake teeth but looking for the young girls. rolleyes.gif l

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (14) »

> TOPIC: Age Differences In Relationships

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,