Why Four Accounts?

Why Accounts - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 20th Feb, 2005 - 7:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Matthew, Mark, Luke & John
14th Feb, 2005 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Why Four Accounts?

The Birth of Christ has four different versions in the New Testament and they vary only slightly. Why was it necessary to have four versions of the same event and which version do you think gives you the most complete story of the life of Christ?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Feb, 2005 - 3:23am / Post ID: #

Why Four Accounts?
A Friend

Accounts Why

I knew when I saw this thread that it would be awhile before anyone posted. I also knew that I needed to get my ducks in order before I posted my reply. I have read and studied all four gospels in depth and am familiar with the purposes of each. I also want to respond with out the approach of debating issues between the two, but simply pointing out the differences and major points of each.

The gospel of Matthew was written for the Jews. It was written most likely around 70 AD. Most scholars beliefs have changed as to Matthews authorship, and now believe it was written by a anonymous jewish-christian and was based off of Mark's gospel as opposed to first hand accounts. Matthew emphasizes Jesus teachings siting many Parables in the book. Matthew also puts emphasis on Jesus geneology to show that he was from the line of David.

The gospel of Mark was probably written around 55 AD - 60AD. Its title infers who mostly likely wrote the book, Mark. Mark was written in Greek, most likely for the greeks. Mark himself never accompanied Jesus or directly heard him speak, but rather accompanied Peter and possibly Paul on their ministries and thus wrote his gospel from such. Mark also emphasized Jesus teachings and parables.

The gospel of Luke was written between 59 AD and 63 AD. Luke was a doctor that accompanied Paul on his many journeys. Luke had no first hand knowledge of Jesus and learned most of his information from oral tradition, as did Mark. Luke emphasizes miracles of Jesus to emphasize the power of Jesus. Luke also is the only gospel that recounts the virgin birth as we know it to day. Luke was written to the Romans, specifically to a man known as Theophilus of Antioch. Luke also details many more stories surrounding Jesus that are not mentioned in the Bible else where.

The Gospel of John was written around 85AD by a man identified only as John. The authorship of John has always been in question with tradition. Tradition holds that John the disciple wrote it, but he was most likely already dead. Besides, John never claims eye witness, and never makes statements that incur belief that he was an eye witness. John was written towards the church that was already established. Unlike the other three gospels, in John, Jesus constantly claims Godship and makes inflammatory statements about being God that the other gospels don't record. John was definentely written to a church that already believed Jesus was God and was not written to convince unbelievers of Jesus Godhood.

In all, Matthew provides the most sound teachings of Jesus, and was probably taken from Mark. Luke provides the best chronology of Jesus life as the church believes it to be today. John provides the most sound basis of Jesus being God of all the gospels. Each have their own purpose and each of their own nature in what they do. Each one was necessary because of who they spoke too and what the people would respond too.

Reconcile Edited: konquererz on 20th Feb, 2005 - 3:24am

Post Date: 20th Feb, 2005 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Why Four Accounts?
A Friend

Why Four Accounts? Revealed Bible The

I've thought about this since the question was posted and have come up with a few thoughts. My first thought is that God often declares his will through the mouths of more than one witness. Consider these two scriptures:

Matt. 18: 16:  But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three awitnesses every word may be established.

2 Cor. 13: 1:  This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three awitnesses shall every word be established.

Why would God want or need more than one witness? In a Conference talk given by Keith B. McMullin, a leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he says, "...I raise my voice as yet another witness. This process is referred to as the law of witnesses. This law was established to introduce, affirm, and seal the truth upon the hearts of God's children. One never stands alone in carrying the word of God to the world. Moses was called as a prophet to lead Israel, but he was not left alone. The Lord sent to him his brother, Aaron, not only as a voice, but as a witness with Moses that the God of Abraham had spoken. This law of witnesses ushered in the birth, life, and mission of Christ Jesus. Holy angels, John the Baptist, prophets, apostles, the Holy Ghost, the Savior himself, and God our Father all declared His divinity." Click on article, "Ye May Know" for resource.

Another reason for the four different accounts could be to give more details about the birth of Jesus Christ, since four different people might see, observe, and give different specifics about the same event. Different perspectives can offer more information. That way we are able to learn even more and possibly have a greater reason to believe in Jesus Christ and that he truly was born here on earth to be the Savior of the world. In addition, those men were probably following a commandment or revelation from God to make a record of the events surrounding Christ's birth, which they did to the best of their ability and were being obedient to that. Also, they may have foreseen that future generations would need to have a record of those things. Either way, I love the fact that the Bible contains these four accounts and I have learned from each one of them. I have not made any conclusion as to which version I think gives the most complete story of the life of Christ and I think that they are all equally important accounts included in the Bible.

> TOPIC: Why Four Accounts?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,