Horse Meat

Horse Meat - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 27th Mar, 2005 - 1:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Discuss  Horse Meat Shall we eat it? Are there any benefits to eating horse meat over traditional dinner plate meats?
Post Date: 25th Feb, 2005 - 3:53pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Horse Meat

OPTION OF SLAUGHTERING WILD HORSES ENRAGES ACTIVISTS

For the first time in more than a generation, the mustang -- the very symbol of the American West -- can be slaughtered for horse meat.
Ref. Source

Horse Meat
Horse Meat (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
25th Feb, 2005 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

Meat Horse

I know that this is a very emotional and volatile subject, but I agree completely with the side that says there should be some culling of the herds.

Personally, I would absolutely love to be able to get both a mustang and one or two burros. Of course, I would have to be living out west with a few acres of land in order to do so.

However, I see nothing at all wrong with slaughtering the excess animals, either for human food for Germany, or for dogfood.

I will not discuss the hypocrisy that this article shows me.

Post Date: 25th Feb, 2005 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

Horse Meat
A Friend

Horse Meat Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

The idea of killing horses for meat kind of disgusts me. Yes, I do eat cow and pig, so I don't really have anything on my side about the cruelty of killing animals for food. I think what bothers me is the reasoning for suddenly being allowed to kill an animal. It's not as if horse meat is a staple food of our society. Simply to solve an overpopulation problem? There are other ways to deal with it besides killing the horses. They could easily ship them out to other parts of the United States, or to other countries. It's not as if the United States is suffering from a massive meat loss or anything.

25th Feb, 2005 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Meat Horse

In some societies horse flesh (I don't know what the meat would be referred to as) is just as acceptable as a meat as beef or pork is to us. Many societies eat dogs and cats as well. We have a hard time with this, I think, mainly because we view them as pets not food. In India, do they even eat beef? I know they view cows as sacred, but I don't know if that includes the bull or just milk cows?

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is simply if one animal is o.k. to eat, I don't see why another is not. I think it is just a matter of cultural acceptance.

25th Feb, 2005 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

Meat Horse

There are other ways to deal with it besides killing the horses. They could easily ship them out to other parts of the United States, or to other countries.

While that would be a less cruel way of dealing with the situation, it will no doubt be a lot more expensive. Which is why I am assuming slaughter is being looked at, and if you are going to slaughter them, you might as well use them as a food source.

25th Feb, 2005 - 11:38pm / Post ID: #

Horse Meat

Having seen what many cultures consider food, I have a pretty pragmatic view of this. Meat is meat and as long as it is not human meat I am OK with it. The one caveat is that the animal should not suffer unduely when being killed. Other than that, I have no problems with it.

Offtopic but,
A few years ago, the US had a short lived trend of eating rabbit meat. I am here in Japan and they love whale meat (do not tell anyone that it is on some menus here). I have seen rat meat in china (scary part is...if you only see the final product, it looks like chicken). I have actually had kangaroo and emu meat in Australia (not bad, if they are cooked correctly). I have seen, but so far have not tasted to my knowledge, dog meat in korea (it is now not for the poor, but is a male machismo kind of thing).

Basically, it is really nice that we all live and have been successful in cultures that allow us the choice of: to eat or not to eat!

Vincenzo

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 25th Feb, 2005 - 11:39pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Mar, 2005 - 9:52pm / Post ID: #

Horse Meat
A Friend

Horse Meat

As I understand the subject, the wild horse population IS NOT a threat to residents and other grazing animals in the western US. But, the US Bureau of Land Management would like for the people to believe that - their lie - so that they can carry out their brand of 'herd management'. This management technique was shown on tv a long time ago. It entails sweeping a large herd of horses and burros together using ground troops; men on horse back, all terrain vehicles, and helicopters. They chase animals into a ever-growing mass causing the animals to begin a a stampede. The stampeding animals are then chased toward a certain death - over a steep cliff. Yes, over a cliff. The animals had NO CHOICE. Over the cliff and it was done.

This was scene was actually shown on tv. I remember that it came on as part a news broadcast and I haven't forgotten those images. I don't think that I can forget it.

How humans can treat animals like this, I'll never be able to figure that one out. And then to do it with the authority of our government and call it necessary, that too gives me chills.

GRRRR! furious3.gif

27th Mar, 2005 - 1:02am / Post ID: #

Horse Meat Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Well then, if herd management is necessary, a controlled hunt, or a humane slaughter would be the best way, wouldn't it? I don't know whether or not it is needed. That is a subject that would require some more extensive research than I am currently ready to put in.

I agree that the wholesale slaughter of herds as you described is wrong.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Horse Meat

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,