Blind Man Abuses Guide Dog

Blind Man Abuses Guide Dog - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 27th Mar, 2005 - 3:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 25th Feb, 2005 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This article outright enraged me. This Scottish man bit and kicked his laborador after the dog failed to lead him across a busy street. He's undergoing a court case at the moment, and if he is charged with abuse, the dog can be taken away permanetly.

It's such a rare find to hear of a blind person abusing their guide dog. Honestly, I find it almost more sickening than a person with sight abusing their pets. A guide dog is there to help you, and has been trained to keep you out of danger. Why would anybody turn on an animal that is only trying to protect you?

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7030822/

25th Feb, 2005 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Dog Guide Abuses Man Blind

I do not know if it is a rare thing really, I personally have seen many blind people abusing their dogs in public and in private. It made me very angry and I blow up on a guy who was kicking a dog because of the same reason the article states. I have the impression that some of these people think the dogs are not there to help them, but that the dogs are their slaves and makes me sick. I am very glad this guy is on court for animal abuse.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 25th Feb, 2005 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Blind Man Abuses Guide Dog History & Civil Business Politics

I agree, I am very glad this man is going to court. I think that abuse by blind people to their guide dogs is probably more common than we think, especially if they haven't been blind long. They may be bitter or angry about their predicament and take it out on the only thing near them, their dog. I wish it weren't so, they need to view the dogs as extra special, treating them better than normal pets. After all, the dogs are the only reason they can have any semblance of a normal life in public!

25th Feb, 2005 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

konquererz made an excellent point about the frustration and perhaps it being taken out on the dogs. I had never considered that before. Another thing is they aren't generally viewed as pets, but working animals. I know you aren't supposed to approach or talk to a guide dog while it is on duty. I think it is so the dog clearly understands when it is time to work and when it is o.k. to relax. I wonder if this may also lead to some of the abuse. The owner only views the dog as a tool, not a friend. I don't know, since I have never had a close relationship with anyone in such a relationship, but it is something to ponder.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

25th Feb, 2005 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

It is very hard for me to digest cruelty to animals, especially dogs, whether they are pets or working dogs. While I can understand the frustration and anger that a blind person can feel because of their situation, it is never appropriate to take these feelings out on a dog whose purpose is to assist you. There is a big difference between not treating the dog as a pet vs being cruel to it. In my mind, this should not be used as an excuse for animal cruelty.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 26th Mar, 2005 - 8:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Blind man faces no charges

It seems this man who actually abused his guide dog in public will not face any charges or be punished at all. How infuriating! Blatantly and deliberately abusing a 'guide dog' in public and the act was witnessed by others, well, he's not going to face any punishment or fines.

And, to make matters worse, the dog will be returned to the blind man! Is there no concern for the dog's safety now? And, what if this man abuses this defenseless animal again?

GRRR! furious3.gif

27th Mar, 2005 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

From the article:

But vets found no sign of injury

Oh so just because the vets did not find any sign of injury, the dog can be returned to the owner, after all that abuse? Very good rolleyes.gif. I hope the same judge who decided that stupidness (because that's what it is stupidness!) will not decide something like this if it is a child abuse case, can you imagine?. The child gets a check up and since the doctor cannot find enough bruises on his/her body, the child can return to the abuser's home?.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 27th Mar, 2005 - 3:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Blind Man Abuses Guide Dog Politics Business Civil & History

Although this man may have been angered that his guide dog refused to lead him across a street, this situation does not give the man license to beat, kick, and bite the dog. This dog was a gift to the man because of his need and he mistreated his gift. I cannot understand his impatience with the animal when he most likely expects patience from everyone around him.

Also, why didn't the vets find evidence of abuse? But, based on the their findings, the judge dropped the charges. The judge could have made a much better decision: return his guide dog with the condition that the man seek anger management. In return, no charges would be filed.

The Guide Dog Association should remove the dog permanently to assure its safety now. And, they shouldn't allow another dog to be in his care to provide assistance. The man's alternative is the white walking cane. Many blind people can be taught the finesse of navigating with a cane.

A dog that learns and follows commands through intimidation is an unhappy animal. I'm very disappointed how this episode ended. undecided.gif

+  1 2 
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Blind Man Abuses Guide Dog

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,