Super Size Me!

Super Size Me! - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 3rd Mar, 2006 - 12:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Documentary
1st Mar, 2005 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

Super Size Me!

I was drawn to this documentary when I saw it was nominated in the Academy Awards. After watching it I was even more convinced at how corrosive processed foods can be to our bodies. What particularly stood out to me were two things; a. The kids that did not even know who Jesus was, but could make out Ronald Mc Donald and b. How what was once super sized now looks like normal sized because of the GIGANTIC super sized stuff being sold.

My Rating: 1 starblue.gif' /><!--endemo-->  <br /> <br />Official Site: <br /><a href='https://www.supersizeme.com/home.aspx' target='_blank'>https://www.supersizeme.com/home.aspx</a>  </p><div> </div> </div>

<br>
<br>

<div style=

Sponsored Links:
1st Mar, 2005 - 4:20am / Post ID: #

Me Size Super

I saw this film while I was in England last year, and I was surprised at the interest it sparked over there. There is no concept of supersizing in England; in fact, a large over there is more like a small or medium here. I was not surprised at what happened to the guy who was running the experiment; what I was surprised at is how quickly he degenerated.
1 starblue.gif' /><!--endemo--> </p><div> </div> </div>

<br>
<br>

<div style=

17th May, 2005 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Super Size Me! Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I was really interested in the course the film took, I don't like fast food (being something of a self styled chef) and have always believed it's no good. I'm not really convinced that it's going to have much of an impact on this McGeneration though.

1st Mar, 2006 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

Me Size Super

We're not loving it: McDonald's forced to close restaurants

McDonald's has enjoyed great success in the UK since it opened its first restaurant in Woolwich in 1974, and now operates 1,200 restaurants - one on almost every high street.

But the world's biggest fast-food company has been under pressure over the unhealthiness of its food, which was the subject of the film Super Size Me, in which the documentary maker Morgan Spurlock wrecked his body by eating McDonald's for a month

https://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle348405.ece

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I was in the UK when this film was released, and was so surprised at the attention it got by the people who lived there. Based on how popular it became, I am not surprised that people took it to heart and this led to decreased sales.

1st Mar, 2006 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #

Me Size Super

Maybe DianeC or Karniest can say better, but to me it would be hypocritical to leave out Mc Donalds and then go down to the local chippy and stuff. In my experience most British foods are quite fattening, not to mention the deserts. However, if picking on Mc Donalds makes them feel better then what can I say?

2nd Mar, 2006 - 2:19pm / Post ID: #

Super Size Me!

Offtopic but,
The success of this over here in the UK spurned a 7-8 part series in which the same guy actually lived a different life for 30 days in each episode, For example he took on the life of an out of work guy trying to support himself and his Girlfriend (Yes real life Girlfriend, he roped her in as well) on state handouts.

The series was a great success as well

Mcdonalds as a food chain here in the UK, as a result of this film, has changes its menu to incorporate a more healthy view, so alongside the BigMac's and Chicken Burgers now stand Chicken Salads, Deli Sandwiches, Less salt on the fries, Milk in the Happy Meals instead of Juice etc etc.

Which has had a massive positive effect on them as a Fast food outlet, In my eyes. I personally loved Mac Donalds anyway, but it was never a top of the list place to eat with my family, now though, there is a choice for all on the menu, including these health freaks wink.gif

Offtopic but,
In my experience most British foods are quite fattening,

I disagree with the 'quite' part of your experience here.

Most of the 'Local Chippy' food is either fried, or so heavy in salt that it would be just plain 'wrong' to even suspect that it was in anyway anything other than unhealthy.

But....There is always a but.....

The amount of tradition involved with a 'Local Chippy' is unbelievable,
I mean its not an everyday thing to get you Tea from the Chippy, but the amount of people that use the Chippy on a Friday night as a sign that the weekend has started is massive.

My own 'Local' on a Friday night is similar to the queues that you expect on January 1st at the sales. OK so I'm exadurating a little, but My 11 year old, and I remember myself at a similar age, actually look forward to a family meal from the chippy on a friday night as a treat.

Message Edited!
Persephone: use the offtopic tag when sharing something not in relation to the subject of the thread.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Mar, 2006 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

Super Size Me!

I agree with Karniest, Mc Donalds has since the showing of this series, made a real effort to improve their food, and make it more healthy--which in my opinion, wouldn't be so hard to do!
I would certainly say that in the past, Mc Donalds menu has certainly had more calories on it than any other fast food outlet, and for this reason alone, is why they are receiving so much negative press.

They have as Karniest pointed out, tried to reduce their salt levels, and offer low fat options as well as offering porridge or bagels for breakfast instead of the full breakfast menu only option.

I think JB was being tactful in his wording about the English food! laugh.gif

On the whole, if you eat out at either fish and chip shops or fast food outlets, you would have to know that you are consuming a hefty chunk of calories included.

The programme was scary though, as it did highlight how short a period of time you could consume the McDonalds food without it having had any side effects.My eldest son bought the book, about McDonalds food and the health effects that it would bring on, and it certainly was a real eye opener!

Post Date: 3rd Mar, 2006 - 12:30am / Post ID: #

Super Size Me!
A Friend

Super Size Me! Movies Music Fashion & Sports

I also watched the movie and and was truelly appalled by it. However, McDonalds has since made its menu more healthy. If I take my kids to eat their, we get milk for drink and apple slices as the side so its much better for them. They have added healthier foods to the menu because as we know, demand drives supply, and money drives business.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Super Size Me!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,