Zero Tolerance Run Amok

Zero Tolerance Run Amok - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th Mar, 2005 - 7:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

1st Mar, 2005 - 4:30pm / Post ID: #

Zero Tolerance Run Amok

Are "zero tolerance" policies really worth anything, or are they out of control?

Here is a story that shows they are getting further out of control.
https://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=2998249
Student charged with threatening armed school takeover

WINCHESTER, Ky. -- An 18-year-old high school student was in jail Friday, charged with threatening an armed takeover of his school.

William Poole, a junior at George Rogers Clark High School in Winchester, was arrested Thursday at school on a terroristic threatening charge.

The arrest came after a tip from a family member that Pool was trying to "recruit a gang to take over the school," Detective Berl Perdue said.

"He didn't have a gang, but he was attempting to organize one," Perdue said.

However, there appears to be a very different side to this story:
Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

So, it appears that this student will be charged with a felony - based on a short story that he was writing, on zombies!

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Sponsored Links:
1st Mar, 2005 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Amok Run Tolerance Zero

What is interesting about this is two things:

1. it seems the grand parents had a zero tolerance policy because they turned him in... imagine your own grand parents turning you in!

2. I would like to believe that the grand parents so a pattern of behavior in the young man that would have led them to turn him into the police without first talking to him or his parents about it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

2nd Mar, 2005 - 2:41am / Post ID: #

Zero Tolerance Run Amok History & Civil Business Politics

If they are not too careful, the community could quickly be paying for this kid's college education! We are getting really close to the point where having bad thoughts is a criminal offense. This kid did nothing wrong at this point. He did not publish the "zombie paper" as a threat anywhere. He actually kept the paper private. Now this doesn't mean the kid is a angel by any stretch of the imagination. The grandparents must be pretty scared of this kid, but he had done absolutely nothing wrong. If I were a lawyer, I would be salivating over this case!

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

6th Mar, 2005 - 7:05pm / Post ID: #

Amok Run Tolerance Zero

There is no crime here, just a kid writing down what's on his mind. I bet he will be acquitted of all charges. But what would have happened if it had not been a kid, but an Arab man in his thirties?

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

> TOPIC: Zero Tolerance Run Amok

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,