Is The USA...

Is Usa - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 13th Mar, 2005 - 6:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Losing its' values?
Post Date: 12th Mar, 2005 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Is The USA...

IS NATION REGRESSING IN VALUES?

America's views toward religion, gender, politics and economics are becoming more fundamentalist and less in line with other industrialized countries, says a U. professor.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...17969%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
12th Mar, 2005 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

USA Is

a quote from the referenced article:

She cited data gathered through an ongoing project called the World Values Survey, which measures attitudes on societal issues in nations around the globe, showing the United States lags behind other industrialized nations in western Europe, Australia and New Zealand when it comes to changing attitudes on topics including gay marriage, abortion and divorce.

I think this means we are losing our values at a slower pace than the rest of the world. Just because everyone else thinks something is o.k. doesn't make it so. My parents used to always use the line "if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it do?" to show me the error in thinking if the majority consider something right, it doesn't mean it is right.

So, I think we may be losing our values, but not because we don't change our views on gay marriage or divorce or abortion as quickly as other countries, but simply because we change our views on these topics at all.

13th Mar, 2005 - 6:08am / Post ID: #

Is The USA... Beliefs Religious General

I got a completely different message from this article. It's all about the "feminist agenda" and how the US has gone backward in the "progression" it had previously made in regard to that. And she blames it on 9/11!

Since the Reagan era, the survey data show the United States has "slipped in its progress" in the latter category, Gross said. Several world meetings involving conservative leaders from around the globe have had a definite impact on American societal trends, she said, noting in particular the World Congress of Families II in 1999 and the Beijing Women's Conference in 2004, where united religious orthodoxy was opposed to feminist agendas  ... Since the 1980s, it has become OK "to start picking on women again," she said, noting slippage in the widespread feminist agenda that took hold in the 1960s and '70s.  ...  "They're working on united policies, directing women to do what they can to stay at home. You have the pope saying it's great that women are getting paid more, but they really need to go home and have babies," Gross said. "There's a linkage around the traditional family concept."  ...If President Bush can keep Americans preoccupied with safety concerns, "it becomes difficult for us to think grander thoughts."

What she's saying is, the USA is now *behind* other countries in our social values regarding homosexuals, non-traditional family units, and women's interests. That we are less tolerant of these things now than we were in the 1980's. So what she means is that we are becoming fundamentalist in our moral thinking - or more conservative, more moral, if you will.

Her so-called "values" are not traditional values of family, morality, and patriotism.

That's the way I read it.

> TOPIC: Is The USA...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,