Terri Schiavo

Terri Schiavo - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Mar, 2005 - 11:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »
Discuss  Terri Schiavo Feeding Tube Removed From Brain-damaged Woman
18th Mar, 2005 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo

Terri Schiavo

I do not know if any of you have followed this story. This woman have been in a vegetative state for the past 15 years, her name is Terri Schiavo. For the past seven years her husband have tried to remove her feeding tube but Terri's parents were opposing saying that their daughter could smile, try to talk and squeeze a hand...as a 6 or 8 month old baby. The doctors say that Terry's movements are just reflex but the parents do not believe so.

Terri's husband have since then entered into a relationship with a new woman and I personally think he wants to move on and of course, it is more than time.

"Terri is not terminal," the lawyer said. "If we feed Terri ... She will live another 30 to 40 years."

He described Schiavo as "Responsive," though he acknowledged she functions at the level of a 6- to 11-month-old child. She recognizes her family, he said. "She teases. She plays. She smiles. She tries to talk." Schiavo also can breathe and swallow on her own, he said.

Asked why, if she can swallow, a feeding tube is necessary, Gibbs said he has inquired whether Schiavo could receive food by mouth, and "Courts in Florida have said no. The order is to stop all food and water."

So once they remove her feeding tube..basically they will let her die of hunger and thirst.

Sources

Terri Schiavo
Terri Schiavo (Hover)

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
19th Mar, 2005 - 1:21am / Post ID: #

Schiavo Terri

The story is even more disgusting than you have explained. Her husband was paid over $700,000 to be used for rehabilitation and therapy for Terri. But he has wasted it on other things, mostly on lawyers trying to allow him to kill her.

She is Catholic, and the whole idea of allowing her to die of hunger and thirst is against the Catholic ideals.

Her family has offered many times to take full responsibility for her, to take care of the rehab and therapy, if only he would divorce her and move on. He has fathered a couple of children with this other woman, but still maintains guardianship of Terri, and continues to try to destroy her.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

19th Mar, 2005 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo History & Civil Business Politics

The story is even more disgusting than you have explained. Her husband was paid over $700,000 to be used for rehabilitation and therapy for Terri. But he has wasted it on other things, mostly on lawyers trying to allow him to kill her

Well, he says that the money was spent mostly on all the medical bills of his wife. He also stated that she has mentioned in the past that she did not want life-support. In my humble opinion, he just want to move on and as long as she is alive..he cannot do it psychologically. He wants to close down that chapter of his life at the cost of his wife's life.

the whole idea of allowing her to die of hunger and thirst is against the Catholic ideals.

I think it goes beyond Catholic ideals...it goes against any common sense, any normal person who have feelings and really love someone...to allow your own wife to die of hunger and thirst is the most horrendous thing I have ever heard.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 19th Mar, 2005 - 1:33am

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

19th Mar, 2005 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

Schiavo Terri

Someone offered him $1,000,000 to let it all go and let her family take care of her. He turned it down. As you pointed out, she appears to have at least the functionality of a baby, yet a liberal judge has determined (legally) that she is in a persistent vegetative state, that she will never come out of.

So, why are so many liberals lining up on the side of this man? Why is it the conservatives (money-grubbing, uncaring, etc, etc, etc) that are trying to save her life. After all, if she dies, it is less of a drain on public resources, right?

I have thought all along that Michael Shiavo has something to hide. I think that he is afraid that if she gets the help she needs, and is promised, that she will be able to identify him as having attacked her and put her into this state.

But that is just my opinion.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

19th Mar, 2005 - 3:41am / Post ID: #

Schiavo Terri

I believe there were suspicious circumstances surrounding her getting into this condition, is that right? My mother mentioned that the other day, that the husband may have a deeper reason for wanting his wife to die than "just moving on" with his life.

If she is responsive, recognizes her family, tries to speak -- I wouldn't call that "vegetative"! How much will she suffer at the hands of this guy who wants her dead? How horrible for her family to watch her die by degrees. I hope that, at the very least, there are some compassionate caretakers who will ease her pain and suffering before the end.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

19th Mar, 2005 - 3:57am / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo

yet a liberal judge has determined (legally) that she is in a persistent vegetative state, that she will never come out of.

I wonder how that judge could be so certain- miracles happen. I found this article which I think just demonstrates how much we can't be sure of things like comas-
Woman Reunites With Friend Who Came Out Of 20-Year Coma

I have found the Terri Schiavo case very saddening and worrisome- I think it demonstrates the Culture of Death our society is increasingly embracing. I find the whole case appalling and depressing- I just hope and pray that everything works out for this woman and her family.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 1 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Mar, 2005 - 4:10pm / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo

So once they remove her feeding tube..basically they will let her die of hunger and thirst.

I will admit I haven't followed this story in detail, so take what I say and what I have heard with a grain of salt. I have heard that when the feeding tube is removed, it will be between 7-14 days before she dies. A normal person who does not eat could live for weeks before actually dying. This is the argument that has been used for those who are accusing the husband of basically starving her to death. I guess medically this would not be considered true starvation, since her brain would die before her body wastes away. I may be wrong, so please enlighten me if I am.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

19th Mar, 2005 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo Politics Business Civil & History

Well, I do not know the technicalities, all I know is that she will suffer since she can recognize her parents and move a little bit and even tried to talk..yes her mind is like a baby, but it is obvious that she perceives things, so whether she will die of true starvation or not, it does not make a difference to me. Her vegetative state is not permanent even though it has been 15 years since she is this way.

Now, regards to what Nighthawk and Farseer were saying about her husband wanting her dead for something that probably he did, I think it is not possible because even though she may be able to come out from that state, her brain will be so damaged that she will be just like a baby, therefore there is nothing she could accuse him of even if she wants to.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Terri Schiavo

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,