Salman Rushdie - Page 2 of 5

I have often found that the Muslim world takes - Page 2 - Studies of Islam - Posted: 20th Jun, 2007 - 11:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Discuss  Salman Rushdie The Satanic Verses book he wrote is a reason for Iran to order his death? What is your view? Is this justified under Islam? What does the rest of the world think?
18th Jun, 2007 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

Salman Rushdie - Page 2

Karbala:

But to defend Satanic Verses? This clearly shows how far apart some people in the western world are from the sentiments of Muslims. It doesnt take a genius to see how offensive, insulting and blasphemous that book was to muslims. Fictional or not fictional the book clearly contains extremely offensive material.

Not sure if I follow you here. First of all, I never defended the Satanic Verses but simply pointed out the fact that is a fictional novel, now if Muslims are way too thin skinned and want to killed anyone who writes an offensive book about them, then they certainly have some big issues. spock.gif We have to agree to disagree, whether stated in Islam or not, I find it barbaric and it's simply my personal view.

Rather off topic, but...
f that makes your blood boil then I suggest you take issue with the author of Deutoronomy and the God of Israel from whom these laws came about.

Thank God, when Jesus Christ came the old law was done away.

Sponsored Links:
18th Jun, 2007 - 9:40pm / Post ID: #

Rushdie Salman

More controversies surrounding this case. Now a Pakistani Minister stated that a suicide attack may be justified because of the honors Rushdie received:

TEHRAN, Iran  -  Pakistan on Monday condemned Britain's award of a knighthood to author Salman Rushdie as an affront to Muslim sentiments, and a Cabinet minister said the honor provided a justification for suicide attacks.

In the eastern city of Multan, hard-line Muslim students burned effigies of Queen Elizabeth II and Rushdie. About 100 students carrying banners condemning the author also chanted, "Kill him! Kill him!"

On Saturday, Britain announced the knighthood for the author of "The Satanic Verses" in an honors list timed for the official celebration of the queen's 81st birthday. It has also drawn condemnation from Iran.

Lawmakers in Pakistan's lower house of parliament on Monday passed a resolution proposed by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Sher Afgan Khan Niazi, who branded Rushdie a "blasphemer." He said the honor had hurt the sentiments of Muslims across the world.

"This is an occasion for the (world's) 1.5 billion Muslims to look at the seriousness of this decision," Mohammed Ijaz ul-Haq, religious affairs minister, later said in parliament.

"The West is accusing Muslims of extremism and terrorism. If someone exploded a bomb on his body he would be right to do so unless the British government apologizes and withdraws the 'sir' title.

Post Date: 19th Jun, 2007 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

Salman Rushdie
A Friend

Salman Rushdie Islam Studies

People say emotional things during emotional moments. I dont think Mr. Ijaz ul-Haq meant what he said. However personally I have to say if I ever came face to face with this hypocrite Salman Rushdie I dont know if I would be able to control myself.

JB mentioned that if Christians can handle blasphemy on Christ why cant muslims handle blasphemy on Mohammad (pbuh).

Infact in a muslim country blasphemy against either the Holy Messiah or his Blessed Mother (Peace be upon them both) is an offence punishable by death if proven deliberate. It disgusts me how people in the West especially have taken advantage of the liberty offered to them and mock the memory of the Holy Messiah even to the extent of accusing his mother of adultery. May God destroy such people they deserve no mercy.

Incidents like the Jerry Springer Opera are a black stain on western society. Yet Christians largely stood back and watched the name of Jesus be desecrated. This I cannot accept. As muslims the next Jerry Springer Opera that comes to town will recieve a very hostile reception from us.

Reconcile Edited: Karbala on 19th Jun, 2007 - 12:17pm

19th Jun, 2007 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Rushdie Salman

Karbala:

People say emotional things during emotional moments. I dont think Mr. Ijaz ul-Haq meant what he said.

Karbala, with all due respect. First was the President of Iran's statements that you seem to interpret in your own way even though the rest of the world interprets his words in the opposite direction now you are saying the Pakistani Minister did not mean what he said. Why is it that it seems that you just cannot accept the fact that there are some Muslims who indeed FEEL and BELIEVE in that way?

if I ever came face to face with this hypocrite Salman Rushdie I dont know if I would be able to control myself.

Control yourself for what? Kill him? (hope the question does not offend you). Since the fatwa still on, does it mean any Muslim who may see him can in fact kill him and be justified? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

20th Jun, 2007 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

Rushdie Salman

As for my 2 cents: I really don't see what this guy did to deserve the honour. Satanic Verses wasn't that great and all it did was piss off the muslim world. Great...here is your prize? OR They are giving him the award because he survived this long after having a contract put out on him by muslim leaders? All that England is doing by giving him the award is stirring up all the hatred again, so at this time, when things are hostile enough...what was the thinking there? It can't get any worse, so give him the award? Shoot, why not prop him up for the Nobel Peace Prize while we are at it...we got one for Arafat.

Seriously, does this award justify the killing of others by the Koran? If this is horribly offensive to God, wont he have the say in the end? Isn't the non purchase of Rushdie's book a stance against what it is about? Perhaps a book burning of a massive scale or a peaceful public demonstration against the book and its author. Why does it have to be violence against the western world and Rushdie for his book?

The Christian world is about forgiveness and that is why you will not see (any longer...since the times of the crusades) violence perpetrated in the name of Holy Spirit. When "he" comes back there will be enough violence to satiate the most blood thirsty as the sorting is done...depending on what you believe. Should you die a unrepentant sinner before the 2nd Coming, then you will find the afterlife not too desirable (Hell is a option in some religions...or...not to savory places in purgatory are available in others). So if you understand this, you can understand why we do not want to kill the makers of things like "Piss Christ", "DaVinci Code", "Jerry Springer Opera" and the list just goes on and on and on... This does not mean that we might not protest against them or try to get them taken off the air, but we will not kill for them. Christians believe in forgiveness so much that the authors of the material that I listed above could be forgiven, if they were sincere in there quest for atonement.

20th Jun, 2007 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Salman Rushdie

The interesting thing is this... would Rushdie have become so popular were it not for all the edicts, titles and infamous media coverage he has been given by the Muslim world? Maybe if they just ignored him and his book he would not have all the popularity he now retains. I believe the hype given to his book makes people more interested to read it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Jun, 2007 - 7:56am / Post ID: #

Salman Rushdie - Page 2

You will never hear about how Statanic Verses changed or enriched someone life. What you will hear about is the violent riots against the book, the death threats against Rushdie's life and how it is deeply offensive to the muslim religion. As a result, I guarantee you that Rushdie made hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars for his effort as well as a honor from the Crown.

Do Christians turn on their religion in print? Sure they do and they are called heresies. A long time ago heresies and heretics could meet with a bloody death, similar to what is being called for by muslim leaders on Rushdie. However, we have come to see that this is not the right way to deal with these situations and have just excommunicated the heretics and denounced their religion...with no bloodshed.

So definitely YES... The coverage and the response to this book has fueled this books longevity as a topic of discussion. Because it certainly wasn't the fine writting inside the cover that made it such a Hot Topic.

20th Jun, 2007 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Salman Rushdie Studies Islam - Page 2

I have often found that the Muslim world takes a 'let us react now with aggression' policy to everything that includes the name of Allah, Islam or Mohamed without any kind of diplomacy or negotiation. This in another way shows the lack of freedom Islam would allow other people to enjoy, for instance, if someone wants to write 'x' then they should be allowed to do so especially when they are not of your faith, laws or allegiance. Now had it been an Imam or Cleric that had written this then one could say is that it goes against what the person should stand for, but even death would not be worthy. However, this inspires me to start a new Thread - look for it: 'Forgiveness in Islam'.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Salman Rushdie

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,