Plural Marriage In Islam

Plural Marriage Islam - Studies of Islam - Posted: 27th Apr, 2007 - 6:03am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 4th Apr, 2005 - 11:33pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage In Islam

In Islam one of the basic beliefs stems from the ability of one man to have more than one woman as his wife. However, in countries where it is only legal to have one woman as wife what would a Muslim do? Consider the following:

* Is a Muslim higher than the law of the land in that he can be married by rights to a second or third wife regardless to the law of the land?
* When is having a second wife necessary or allowed?
* Which verses in the Quran enable / show / disclose that Plurality in Marriage is correct?

Sponsored Links:
6th Apr, 2005 - 11:32pm / Post ID: #

Islam Marriage Plural

That is something I really would like a practising Muslim to answer since with certain groups in Trinidad I have seen an Imam declare his second wife, third wife and so on even though T&T law dictates marriage can only be to one partner.

Post Date: 28th May, 2005 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage In Islam
A Friend

Plural Marriage In Islam Islam Studies

Trinidad... I am no Muslim and no expert... though I studied Quran, Hadith, and Sharia law with Sunna Muslims for about a year...

From my recollection, by direction in the Quran, there is no mandate that a man should have more than one wife. If he is content with one... fine. The limit for wives is four... and only if specifics rules apply.

That means if the laws of a nation where a Muslim man sojourns or is a citizen forbids polygamy, then the Muslim is not breaking Islamic law as I see it by abiding by that nations laws regarding it.

He has an option... live within the parameters of the law or move.

Generally speaking... the Quran Text speaks thus:

"If you fear lest you may not be perfectly equitable in treating more than one wife, then you shall be content with one." (Surah 4:3 An Nisaa)

"You cannot be equitable in a polygamous relationship, no matter how hard you try." (Surah 4:129 An Nisaa)

This sounds to me that one wife is the ideal... though interpreted sharia law imposes the following as 'conditions' for taking up to four wives... financial, physical and emotional ability, equal treatment of the wives, the approval of the prospective female to this kind of marriage, no close relative or two sisters at the same time, and that the number of wives is limited to up to four.

But hey... we know that this is not followed among many Muslims that take more than one wife.

Muhammed had his 18 wives after the death of his wife Kadija of 25 years. These included Aisha, his first after Kadija, whom he engaged at six and wedded at 9 years of age.

SteveB

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2006 - 11:35pm / Post ID: #

Islam Marriage Plural

According to Dictionary.com, the word 'polygamy' can be understood to be: "The condition or practice of having more than one spouse at one time. Also called plural marriage.'

9th Sep, 2006 - 1:23pm / Post ID: #

Islam Marriage Plural

I spoke with a devotee Muslim yesterday who explained that Muslim men locally (Trinidad, but anywhere for that matter) do have more than one wife. In fact, he exclaimed that it is a common practise. The first wife is usually married through the law and Imam and then the second, third, and fourth wives are married solely by the Imam under what can viewed as the spiritual law.

He said that to marry a second wife the first wife must give permission. To marry a third the first two wives both have to give their permission. I was interested to know if they lived all in the same home and he said not necessarily. Sometimes they live in various homes apart from each other.

I did not get any verses on this as neither of us had a Koran handy.

Post Date: 25th Apr, 2007 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage In Islam
A Friend

Plural Marriage In Islam

Your translations of these verses are slightly faulty allow me to post a more accurate version.

4:3 Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one

One key condition for polygamy JUSTICE. However we have to consider a strange verse which follows.

4:129 Ye are never able to be fair and just as between women, even if it is your ardent desire

This is a very strong expression against the practise of polygamy. Although the door of polygamy has been left open man has been warned not to desire polygamy as it would be impossible to deal fairly with his wives. How do we reconcile these two verses and what are the implication for islamic law?

First point to be made is that the emphasis is no doubt on monogamy. Looking at 4:3 in full there is a preceding condition.

If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice,two or three...

The context of the verse clearly shows the commandment of polygamy in terms of Orphans.

Allow me to describe the situation. During the early period of Islam while the Koran was being revealed there were many wars and many women were left orphaned and widowed with no protection. In these situations the verse of polygamy was revealed where there was a clear societal need. There was no sexual motivation on the part of for example of the Prophet who married several wives all of whom bar one were elderly widows.

Applied to today the same principles apply. Polygamy for the sake of sexual desire is principally wrong. However you cannot legislate for desire or intentions. Islamic law only deals with outward actions so polygamy as long as it fulfills the conditions of justice (to which there are many many many aspects) is permissable. There can be numerable situations where polygamy is a justifiable solution to a societal problem.

But hey... we know that this is not followed among many Muslims that take more than one wife.

Any reasonable muslim will never condone rather condemn someone who treats his wife with such contempt so as to marry someone else without justifiable reason. However in my experience if it does happen (rarely) it happens for a justifiable reason. And of course the law of the land prevails in this case.

Rather off topic, but...
Muhammed had his 18 wives after the death of his wife Kadija of 25 years. These included Aisha, his first after Kadija, whom he engaged at six and wedded at 9 years of age.

I'm not sure what you are implying. Mohammad according to most accurate reports did NOT have 18 wives. As for the age of Aisha it is disputed (could be 13 or 15).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Apr, 2007 - 7:56pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage Islam

Good info Karbala, I have some questions:

1. What about in countries where polygamy is not accepted, is it justifiable to marry anyway?

2. If each woman is to be treated fairly then should they all live in the same house or have their own abodes?

3. Do you think you would ever enter into polygamy?

Post Date: 27th Apr, 2007 - 6:03am / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage In Islam
A Friend

Plural Marriage Islam Studies Islam

1. What about in countries where polygamy is not accepted, is it justifiable to marry anyway?

In this case I can honestly say with the literature available to me I cannot find an answer. I could obtain an unofficial answer which is prone to opinion. It may take a few weeks to obtain an "official" answer (stamped and authorised from the office of an legal authority).

Of the two possibilities there are pros and cons. Ill put off answering this till I get a confirmed official response from a legal authority.

2. If each woman is to be treated fairly then should they all live in the same house or have their own abodes?

Again you have stumped me. Ill try and get an answer for this as well. I do know for sure that one condition is that each wife has to have equal share in time, wealth etc.

3. Do you think you would ever enter into polygamy?

With the present situation I am in? NO! there is no social need for me entering into polygamy hence I would be violating the spirit of Koranic verses 4:3 and 4:129. However it is impossible to predict what the future holds. Things change it could be the case that polygamy becomes a dire need in society hence I cannot be sure. But it seems very unlikely.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Plural Marriage In Islam

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,