Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints - Page 2 of 7

Here is some more news about the Fundamentalist - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Jun, 2005 - 4:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »
10th Apr, 2005 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints - Page 2

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints have made a Press release to the Media concerning the use of the term "Mormon Fundamentalist". I found this link in the lds.org news site.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Disputes Media Use of 'Fundamentalist Mormon'

"Recent news reports regarding various issues related to the practice of polygamy, especially focusing on groups in Texas, Arizona and Southern Utah, have used terms such as "Mormon," "fundamentalist Mormons," "Mormon sect" and "polygamous Mormons" to refer to those who practice polygamy.

There is no such thing as a "polygamous" Mormon. Mormon is a common name for a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church discontinued polygamy more than a century ago. No members of the Church today can enter into polygamy without being excommunicated. Polygamist groups in Texas, Utah or Arizona have nothing whatsoever to do with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

https://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050406/law130.html?.v=3

Sponsored Links:
10th Apr, 2005 - 6:57pm / Post ID: #

Saints Latter-day Fundamentalist

I know what the LDS church says about this, but there are some problems with the statement.

First, it was the LDS church, and church leaders, who first coined the term "Fundamentalist Mormons" to describe polygamists. Specifically, it was Mark E. Peterson who labelled these people such.

Another problem with this statment is that one of the groups (the one this topic started about) is actually named, The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

10th Apr, 2005 - 7:07pm / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints Studies Doctrine Mormon

What I find of kind of ironic is that the Church has always tried to distance itself from being called , 'Mormons' and now they are justifying its use in this case. I think we are going way overboard on this one... especially considering the term 'Mormon' is not an official name for any organization and thus can be used by anyone.

10th Apr, 2005 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Saints Latter-day Fundamentalist

I personally think that the only reason the Church is making a fuss over it is because of the practise of Polygamy by this other Church and it is obvious a way to say that Polygamy is very wrong and we want to distance from it. This is just myopinion.

I think Nighthawk has a very valid point about the other Church being called the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, therefore, the Media is not wrong to call it that way and its members could perfectly be called Fundamentalist LDS because that's the name of their Church!.

10th Apr, 2005 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

Saints Latter-day Fundamentalist

I think, because of the polygamy issue, the Church doesn't want people to confuse these people with members of the LDS Church. Believe me, many do. I have had the discussion with my own mother about how she has seen on TV that Mormons in Utah do still practice polygamy. So, many people away from the West hear the term Mormon in any fashion and they don't realize there is no real modern day connection.

I think the Church should do what they can to distance themselves from this confusion.

10th Apr, 2005 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints

I think the Church should do what they can to distance themselves from this confusion.

I do not understand why the Church is so bother about the whole polygamy issue with this Church, do we forget that we practised it too? and that it still (even though the living do not practise it) part of our doctrine?. Why do we really want to prove to the world? that Polygamy was a mistake from the past?. That's fine for me, but they cannot ask the Media to stop calling the other Church "Fundamentalist LDS" because they truly are, that's the name of their Church. And believe me, there is nothing they can do to stop people to believe that we still practising polygamy *shrugs*

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Apr, 2005 - 10:29am / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints - Page 2

I do not understand why the Church is so bother about the whole polygamy issue with this Church, do we forget that we practised it too?

There are probably a few reasons for this. One, it will definately affect conversion rates since it is contrary to what others consider acceptable. Also, it can affect members' ability to hold powerful business or political positions outside of the Utah area. Why should this matter? Well, if we are involved in all levels of politics, we can make more of a political impact for good.

Another is the fact that if the Church allows polygamy they will most likely face the same types of persecution, including financial, that they did previously which forced them to stop the practice. I believe that the Lord instructed us to stop this practice on Earth. Since the Lord did this, the Church leaders have an obligation to ensure that we obey this command. I think it quite logical that we would want to make it clear to everyone that this is a doctrinal change we take seriously.

This is, of course, only my opinion, but I am glad they do all they can to distance us from those who practice polygamy.

12th Jun, 2005 - 4:33pm / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Here is some more news about the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

https://www.phoenix360.com/news/index.asp?did=19189
Church leader accused of arranging polygamous marriage

PHOENIX (AP) -- The leader of a polygamous sect has been indicted on charges that he arranged a marriage between a 16-year-old girl and a man who was already married.

Prosecutors say Fundamental Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints president Warren Jeffs has been charged with sexual conduct with a minor and conspiracy to commit sexual conduct with a minor.

Mohave County Attorney Matthew Smith says the 49-year-old Jeffs didn't have sex with the teenager but arranged her marriage to a 28-year-old man who was already married.

The 28-year-old man was charged with two counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual conduct with a minor.

If convicted, Jeffs would face a jail sentence ranging from four months to two years.

Jeffs' whereabouts are unknown.

I posted the entire thing, only because such links tend to expire.

Interesting that he is charged with sexual conduct with a minor, despite the fact that there is no claim that he actually had any sexual contact with the girl.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,