The American Government's Job

The American Government' S Job - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 7th Apr, 2005 - 9:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

7th Apr, 2005 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

The American Government's Job

I'm certainly no expert, in fact I probably don't know half as much as most of you do about government, but there is something I firmly believe, and I'm interested to see what you people think.

The government's job should be simply to protect the rights of its citizens, not to tell us what we should believe, or how we should act (outside of limmiting our actions so that we do not harm others).

For example: It should not be the government's right to tell us we can't do certain drugs. I can understand age limits, and limits imposed such as no driving while under the influence, but aside from such conditions, the government has no right to enforce such a law. The previous conditions help protect the rights of other citizens by limiting the potential for hazard when under the influence of such drugs. Yet, if we wish to harm ourselves, committing suicide, doing drugs, whatever, how is it the government's right to tell us we cannot? angry.gif

Another example: Gay marriage, as well as financial marital benefits. Are we not supposed to have separation of church and state? Marriage is technically a religious practice. How is that the government will support one people's religious practice and not another if there is separation of church and state? How is it the governments right to tell gay people how they can and cannot interact?

Don't misunderstand me, we have it darn good here in America, but there are things about this government that greatly anger me. I appreciate what I have, but if this is truly a free country, there are certain restrictions that must placed on the government. That's what I believe. How about you guys? Do you agree, disagree, semi-agree?

Reconcile Edited: Zeuts on 7th Apr, 2005 - 12:42am

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 0 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0%

Sponsored Links:
7th Apr, 2005 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

Job Governments American The

Well this discussion is actually presented in the 'Activism Board', but it is more or less cut up into many different threads such as 'Should we pay tax?', 'Who can marry who?', 'Property Laws', etc. If you go to the downloads Board you will also see a link for excellent videos on this very topic (it is the longest thread in there). I will leave this one simply because we have not really put a 'yes' or 'no' on what Government should do, but at the same time let us make sure not to drift into topics that are already available elsewhere, so this one should be law based. As for me, any Government, not just the 'American' (I believe you meant US), should govern defense and law and order, but not dictate marriage, religion, how I raise my kids, personal preferences or pastimes.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

7th Apr, 2005 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

The American Government's Job History & Civil Business Politics

Another example: Gay marriage, as well as financial marital benefits. Are we not supposed to have separation of church and state? Marriage is technically a religious practice. How is that the government will support one people's religious practice and not another if there is separation of church and state? How is it the governments right to tell gay people how they can and cannot interact?

I suggest you do some research on what the term "separation of Church and State" is supposed to mean. You are expressing what many people believe, but if you look at the constitution you will see that is not what it says. The separation of Church and State was to prevent the State from interfering with the Church not the other way around.

I agree that the government shouldn't tell people what drugs to use, whether to wear a seatbelt, a motorcycle helmet, etc., except when it comes to minors. I think minors need to be protected.

However, when we don't wear seat belts or motorcycle helmets and we get into accidents, there are large medical bills incurred. So, my insurance rates go up to pay for your choice of not wearing a seat belt. That is part of the reasoning behind these laws.

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 7th Apr, 2005 - 8:53pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

7th Apr, 2005 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Job Governments American The

I am not so sure I agree that the government should not have a say in what drugs someone uses. Drugs that are illegal today impairs an individual's senses in some way. If we legalized all drugs, then we face the risk of increased vehicular accidents and even domestic violence. I think the government has enough of a vested interest in trying to maintain a violent-free society to place bans on the drugs that are illegal today. Before we question why the government is restricting us, we really need to consider what side-effects not restricting these actions can have on individuals and society. I agree that the topic here is much too general and broad to get into too much of a discussion, but in general, I don't have too much of an issue with restrictions that are in-place here in the U.S because I see them as protection instead of violating my rights.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

> TOPIC: The American Government's Job

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,