Life Sentence

Life Sentence - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 10th Apr, 2005 - 10:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 9th Apr, 2005 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

Life Sentence

What does Life Sentence mean in your country? Is it for the duration of the life span of the criminal or a set time like 90 years? Consider the following scenario:

Suppose a criminal was sentenced to life in prison, but somehow kept living day after day after day and he is now 160 years old... what should happen to this inmate? Suppose he would go to live to be 500 years old?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Apr, 2005 - 12:25pm / Post ID: #

Life Sentence
A Friend

Sentence Life

I believe that life sentence is something like 90 years in the US. But with parole, most of the time it is much less than that. If it where a true life sentence, and he live to five hundred years old, then he would stay in jail for five hundred years I suppose. If he did something that bad, then I don't have a problem with that.

9th Apr, 2005 - 1:23pm / Post ID: #

Life Sentence History & Civil Business Politics

I have heard of six or seven (or more) consecutive 40 year sentences. This sounds like an excellent idea to me. Then, there is no chance for parole, and if the person really does live that long, then he deserves to be released.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 10th Apr, 2005 - 5:56am / Post ID: #

Life Sentence
A Friend

Sentence Life

Well I had thought that a life sentence was twenty years for the United States, but I did some research because of Konquererz's post. A life sentence is actually 29 years, but with parole you could get out earlier. Here is the link that I found my information from: https://www.soros.org/initiatives/justice/a...lifers_20040511
As far as people living past their sentence term, I think they should be released. But if a life sentence actually meant "Life" then I believe there should be a special board appointed to evaluate his case periodically (maybe every 25 years?) and decide if this person is fit to return to society.
-Unferth

10th Apr, 2005 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

Sentence Life

I am pretty sure in the US how long one can expect to spend in jail when given a life sentence varies from state to state. However, in my opinion, a life sentence means for the rest of your lfe, it doesn't mean 20 years or 25 or even 40. However, in many states, you can be elgible for parole. So, you may be sent away for the remainder of your life, but if you prove yourself "worthy" you can get out before you die.

Several states have sentences referred to as life withouth the possiblilty of parole. To me, that is what a life sentence should be. It should be given only for the most terrible crimes such as murder, but then life should be life. Period. No exceptions.

Of course, because we, in the US, have become so customed to life meaning less than that we give it out for things we shouldn't. For example, I don't believe any 12 year old crime deserves life in prison. So, under current laws, we must allow for parole unless we decide to only use it when we really mean it will be a life sentence. If you want them in jail for 20 years or 40 years then let that be the sentence. Don't call it life.

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 10th Apr, 2005 - 6:47pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

10th Apr, 2005 - 10:41pm / Post ID: #

Life Sentence

I agree with FBC on this one. A life sentence should mean "for the duration of your life" and it should be reserved for the most heinous of crimes. Particularly with the life expectancy of the general population having been increased over the years, 29 years ain't life.

Suppose he would go to live to be 500 years old?
After living in an institution for more years of his life than he did not, how would someone 500 years old survive outside the walls? Can you imagine the technological leaps society would make in that time span? That's just an unanswerable question, in my opinion.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Life Sentence

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,