Freedom of Speech In Argentina?

Freedom Speech Argentina - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 12th Apr, 2005 - 8:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
12th Apr, 2005 - 12:39pm / Post ID: #

Since I am interested in issues related to liberty from around the world, and since JB and LDS_forever are moving to Argentina, this really caught my eye.

https://www.kimdutoit.com/ee/index.php/rant...from_argentina/

Kim du Toit is a very outspoken defender of liberty. He focuses on self-defense, weapon ownership, and speach issues.

He passed on a report from a friend in Argentina that a modification to an existing law will require every ISP to record every email, attachment, and every IM chat. They will be required to keep all such records for 10 years. This information will be available to the intelligence services.

Kind of frightening, isn't it?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Sponsored Links:
12th Apr, 2005 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

Argentina Speech Freedom

That is scary if it is true, but since I do not do anything I shouldn't be doing it does not worry me save for the part of those who do the looking trying to look for more than they should such as account numbers and just simply peeping for pleasure - after all who is to say that they do exactly what they are supposed to do.

Offtopic but,
If we can get references to that law being enforced or instituted I would like to put it up on the Spanish Board.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

12th Apr, 2005 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech In Argentina? History & Civil Business Politics

Yes, I heard about it and yes it is scary but some politians are already opposing it and they are not going to make it a law because of obvious reasons of privacy (but who knows!). This is just a plan. So this plan is in Congress right now, and today this group of polititians is going to make a presentation to suspend or modify this plan.

This plan was an idea of a normal guy called Juan Carlos Blumberg whose son was kidnapped and murdered in Argentina by a band of police officers and other criminals. He promised to his son to do everything possible so nobody will suffer what he did so he has been very involved in projects, plans and laws concerning crime in Argentina. This was created to speed the access of the security organizations to the elements of communications of kidnappers and drug-traffic people since they are widely using this method to communicate and plan their crimes. But so far, this is only bringing headaches since if this plan became reality then goodbye to out privacy...so I doubt very much that this is going to actually happen.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

12th Apr, 2005 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Argentina Speech Freedom

It is kind of scary even if you aren't doing anything wrong. Often someone else's interpretation of what is wrong can be very different. I think this is the sort of thing you see in communist countries where even mentioning anything critical of the government can land you in jail. I can even think of some discussion threads here that if certain people in authority read them, they may decide they are inappropriate. They might say we shouldn't be polluting our mind with such stuff and that if we are thinking along those lines we need to be re-indoctrinated, for example.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

12th Apr, 2005 - 2:18pm / Post ID: #

Argentina Speech Freedom

and that if we are thinking along those lines we need to be re-indoctrinated, for example.

Well at least it would be an excellent thread for discussion, I can see the thread's name now... Web Designer In Argentine Jail for Discussion Forum Online. From what little I know of Argentina they have a lot of laws for all kinds of things. You should see the amount of info and paperwork they have been putting us through - one would swear we were going to the USA or Switzerland to start a war.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

12th Apr, 2005 - 4:17pm / Post ID: #

Well, I just read that the Argentinian President just suspended this law after all the controversy that it created (Argentina's Media is VERY poweful on every aspect but particularly freedom of speech and privacy)but because it reached the Congress, the next step now is to abrogate the plan for good.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Apr, 2005 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

Freedom Speech Argentina

Are there any English language news sources for some of this stuff? My understanding based on Kim du Toit's blog entry was that it was the President's initiative applied to an existing law, that was bringing this about.

I agree, I hope that the Argentinians will be able to overcome this attack.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

12th Apr, 2005 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

Freedom Speech Argentina Politics Business Civil & History

My understanding based on Kim du Toit's blog entry was that it was the President's initiative applied to an existing law, that was bringing this about.

It was a President's initiative but I do not think he saw the bigger picture, he did it mainly as I said before, because of the Blumberg's case and as a way to see what the criminals, terrorists, and drug-related criminals do online but because of the huge controversy that have taken place, he decided to suspend it. And it because it was a Presidential decree, he had that power to suspended. He assured " The objective was to control the traffic but not the content. Neither the law nor the norm were supposed to know the contents of the calls, e-mails, or chats. Obviously the government did not have that intention "..

What happened was that this law in 2003 was presented with another title, some politicians thought it was meant for cellular phone use only (but some "smart" politicians add "all forms of communication",it was meant to control the use of cel phone for kidnappings).

The President will suspended this law for good next week when he returns from Germany. ALL argentinians and politicians were in strong disagreement with this plan. I am glad argentinians speak up when is time to do it.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Freedom of Speech In Argentina?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,