Define Culture

Define Culture - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 16th Apr, 2005 - 12:07am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2005 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

Define Culture

Humans have various interpretations for a word, but how do you define 'Culture'? Is 'Culture' different from 'Tradition' or are they one and the same?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Apr, 2005 - 8:26am / Post ID: #

Define Culture
A Friend

Culture Define

I don't believe that they are one and the same. Culture defines a specific group of people, while traditions tend to define much more minute details. Cultures span groups of people while traditions can define families. Cultures never define a specific family only, but traditions often do. If you go into Little China, you see the effects of culture. When you take the time to see what each family does for holidays, special occassions, deaths in the family and the like, you will see tradition, often very deep traditions, handed down from generation to generation. Culture defines that I celebrate christmas. But tradition defines the opening of one present on christmas eve.

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2005 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

Define Culture
A Friend

Define Culture Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

When I first read the question I was prepared to argue that culture was just a conglomeration of traditions, but after reading Konq's post I feel inclined to agree with him. Two people who share the same culture might indeed differ widely in tradition.
My definition of culture is the status quo. If you do something socially unacceptable then you have placed yourself at odds with the culture of the area, but often times differing traditions among people does not go against the status quo. For example Americans who celebrate Hanukkah and Americans who celebrate Christmas have very different traditions, but they are still part of American culture.
-Unferth

16th Apr, 2005 - 12:07am / Post ID: #

Culture Define

There are many definitions of culture, the ones we are sharing so far are historical and some others somehow behavioral. I have always like the
anthropological definition of culture that I learnt when I was in high school : "Culture is everything that a man does". I like this definition because is simple and entitles every aspect of what could be consider "culture".

> TOPIC: Define Culture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,