Japanese Residents In The USA During World War 2

Japanese Residents Usa World War 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th Feb, 2017 - 10:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Top  Japanese Residents In USA During World War 2 During WW II
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2005 - 11:10am / Post ID: #

When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor many US Citizens became irate with the local Japanese and treated them as prisoners of war. The history of this can be covered here:

international QUOTE
Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, the United States was gripped by war hysteria. This was especially strong along the Pacific coast of the U.S., where residents feared more Japanese attacks on their cities, homes, and businesses. Leaders in California, Oregon, and Washington, demanded that the residents of Japanese ancestry be removed from their homes along the coast and relocated in isolated inland areas. As a result of this pressure, on February 19, 1942, President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066, which resulted in the forcible internment of 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry.
Ref. Source 2

"A Jap's a Jap. There is no way to determine their loyalty... This coast is too vulnerable. No Jap should come back to this coast except on a permit from my office."
-- General John L. DeWitt, head, Western Defense Command; before the US House Naval Affairs Subcommittee

Japanese Residents In The USA During World War 2 (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
14th Apr, 2005 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

War World USA The Residents Japanese

Michelle Malkin, a nationally syndicated writer, has published an extensive analysis of this event, which has stirred a lot of controversy. Her assertion is that there were good, valid reasons for the internment. Despite "research" to the contrary, there apparently actually quite a number of Japanese agents among the Japanese population of the West Coast.

I haven't studied this very extensively, and I am not an apologist for the decisions of a past generation, but I think there is much more to the story than is normally reported. I honestly don't know how I would have acted in the same situation, except that I do oppose anything similar after 9/11 regarding Arabs. I think that in situations such as the post-Pearl Harbor days, that national security does need to be carefully considered, and that profiling is vital, but that doesn't normally justify wholesale imprisonment.

One story that I know Mrs. Malkin tells is about a Japanese pilot who crashed on one of the remote islands in the Hawaiian chain. Some of the Japanese residents of the island, although patriotic citizens of the Hawaiian nation (at the time), helped the pilot to evade authorities, including helping with the murder of some of their fellow Japanese residents. Eventually, the pilot was killed by one of the other Japanese residents, before the island authorities were able to find him. However, if I remember rightly, it was in self defense.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 24th Dec, 2006 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Japanese Residents In The USA During World War 2 History & Civil Business Politics

BUSH SIGNS BILL TO PRESERVE INTERNMENT CAMPS

President Bush has signed into law a $38 million grant program to preserve notorious internment camps where Japanese-Americans were kept behind barbed wire during World War II.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/23/int...s.ap/index.html

Post Date: 21st Apr, 2013 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

We Japanese Americans Must Not Forget Our Wartime Internment:

Seventy years ago, US soldiers bearing bayoneted rifles came marching up to the front door of our family's home in Los Angeles, ordering us out. Ref. Source 5

Post Date: 29th Apr, 2013 - 9:13pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This was a great National Security Measure at the time and has been vindicated by military reports at the time that recorded SAEDA operations discovered and intercepted as a result of information gathered from the internment. It also led to a great Supreme Court decision that helps keep America from doing this sort of activity again.

Post Date: 8th Feb, 2017 - 4:23pm / Post ID: #

Fred Korematsu: Why his story still matters today

The Japanese American was forced into an internment camp during WWII and subsequently spoke up for Muslim Americans. Ref. Source 1i.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Feb, 2017 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Japanese Residents The USA World War 2

What we did to Japanese Americans during WW II is a travesty. Most lost everything and still volunteered to fight for us, establishing their patriotism and valor by the deeds of the unit they were in during WW II. That unit is the most highly decorated unit of its size in history. It fought in Italy and France during the war. The other Japanese that weren't in that unit and went to the Pacific as interpreters would have been killed instantly had they been captured.

All that said, what is happening now is not synonymous to how we treated Japanese Americans. We are restricting travel for foreigners coming from an area that has an enemy intent on killing us. We did the same thing for all foreigners coming from enemy countries during WW II. Other than the fact that this was rolled out incredibly poorly and not explained at all I don't see why that is an issue. We chose those countries because they have no infrastructure to allow us to vet people and until we figure out how to vet we need to restrict people.

Rather off topic, but...
In my opinion, the Democrats are using this issue for political gain and if someone were to gain entry because of this and kill some Americans they'd be the first to yell and scream that President Trump isn't doing his job. The press is doing it because they tend to be well to the left of the political spectrum. And the real loser would be the poor people killed if bad guys get in and neither the press nor the Democrats would take responsibility.

Post Date: 8th Feb, 2017 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Japanese Residents The USA World War 2 Politics Business Civil & History

Rather off topic, but...
I don't understand the controversy. Of course all Muslims aren't terrorists. Why bring in people from countries that are terrorism hotbeds though?

Should the US have accepted immigrants from Germany and Japan during WW2? There should be some concern for citizens here.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Japanese Residents In The USA During World War 2

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,