Indian police have charged 80 people for burying children alive in an ancient
Hindu ceremony known as "the festival of pits."
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/04/1...reut/index.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Apr, 2005 - 4:35pm / Post ID: #

Festival Of Pits
A Friend

Pits Festival

Even though I do not agree with the idea I herd that the children are baried in a shallow grave for a minute wile they are unconchious then brought back out. I also herd that they haven't had any deaths yet.

16th Apr, 2005 - 12:16am / Post ID: #

Festival Of Pits Religions East of Studies

Jvalen, it does not matter in my opinion whether none of the children died or not. It is a EXTREMELY dangerous practise. Some of these children are less than a year old and they are drugged so they would be unconcious during the ceremony! *shaking head*. I know, I may not understand the purpose of this hindu practise but what I do see is that a whole bunch of kids are in danger of dying!. I am glad the police caught them.

Post Date: 28th Apr, 2006 - 9:02am / Post ID: #

Festival Of Pits
A Friend

Pits Festival

I also am glad the police caught them. What a horrible thing to do to a child! Bury them alive, and even if your bringing them back at out. I would think of that to be very tramatising.

Post Date: 29th Apr, 2006 - 3:08am / Post ID: #

Festival Of Pits
A Friend

Pits Festival

I thought that people jumped to be angry about this before they took the time to find out what this is really about.

As per tradition, children are buried alive for less than a minute to propitiate local deities Muthu-kuzhi Mariamman and Kaali-Amman, for curing them or their family members of illnesses etc. The Kuzhi Maatru Thiruvizha, which is celebrated once in five or seven years, has been in vogue in the village for over 400 years.

https://www.rediff.com/news/2002/aug/26satya.htm

While we indeed find it barbaric in our culture and society, this has been a staple of this village for nearly four hundred year. It appears that the purpose is not evil, but alas, we can't bury children to appease a god. So I am glad it was stopped. I just find it amusing that one mans religion is another mans atrocity.

> TOPIC: Festival Of Pits

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,