Mormonism For Dummies

Mormonism Dummies - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Apr, 2005 - 10:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Nope - not a joke
Post Date: 16th Apr, 2005 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism For Dummies

'DUMMIES' BOOK ENGAGING, ACCURATE

"Mormonism for Dummies" isn't a joke. It's a well-written and very accurate overview of the LDS Church -- in an independent style.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...26594%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
16th Apr, 2005 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

Dummies Mormonism

I think this is awesome. So much so that I just went to deseretbook.com and ordered a copy. I think it will help me personally with my own understanding, but even more than that, it might help me when talking with my non-member friends. Sometimes it can be hard to ut something in terms that a non-member can understand because we are so used to certain words and concepts with which they may not be familiar. I will let you know what I think when I get it. Expected delivery isn't until the second week of May though.

16th Apr, 2005 - 1:45pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism For Dummies Studies Doctrine Mormon

I am not sure if I would like to buy this book. It seems like there are certain parts that I will be very bothered about. Like this part:

"The Head Honcho: God the Father" and "Second Mate: Christ the Son"

I believe I have a good sense of humor, and I can laugh of some good things about the Church but I do not like this kind of humor. In my opinion, is a disrespect for things I consider sacred.

16th Apr, 2005 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

Dummies Mormonism

I will let you know how I find it LDS. I think those statements likely are found in the snippets that these books often have where they try to add some humor while summarizing or comparing a term to something else. Usually, these statements are in little "sidebars" for example. Have you seen any of the other "Dummies" books?

16th Apr, 2005 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

Dummies Mormonism

Yes, I have and I know what you mean. I just found it cruel those kind of statements, I am not surprised though because one of the writters is also a writter for the "Sugar Beet" and they tend to make jokes with that kind of humor but I guess making a joke putting God and Jesus Christ on it was a bit too much.

17th Apr, 2005 - 1:36am / Post ID: #

Mormonism For Dummies

I saw this book in a Barnes & Noble store recently, and actually... I was kind of offended. I didn't actually look inside the book. I don't have any other opinion, except what I know of other "Dummies" books, I.e. they tend to treat the subject matter very lightly and not very thoroughly in a lot of cases. However, I'll await FBC's opinion on the matter before making a final decision. smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Apr, 2005 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism Dummies

I have been in coresspondence with the coauthor of this book on a nother matter, but I did mention that some members may find his tone in the book sarcastic and this is what he replied:

"Yeah, I'm a coauthor of Mormonism for Dummies. I can see where some people might think we're a touch irreverent in places, but I stand by my style."

18th Apr, 2005 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

Mormonism Dummies Mormon Doctrine Studies

Style? rolleyes.gif Since when irreverence for sacred things is just a style?. I will say no more until I get feedback from Tena *wink*

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mormonism For Dummies

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,