Abortion Choice At 13.

Abortion Choice 13 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 9th May, 2005 - 1:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
3rd May, 2005 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.

A judge has ruled that a 13-year-old girl at the center of an abortion fight with the state may terminate her pregnancy. https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7718218/

There is a lot the article doesn't make clear. For example is she in Foster Care? Does she live with her parents? Do her parents know about the pregnancy and abortion choice? If they do, are the against it?

Although I am against abortion, as long as the law allows it as a woman's choice, then I think you have to let this 13 year old make her choice too. She has made some adult choices up to this point that have resulted in pregnancy, now this is the choice she has made.

I also think the Courts did the right thing by seeking counseling first to be sure she really understood the choice.

What do you think?

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd May, 2005 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.
A Friend

Choice Abortion

I will start off saying I am too, against abortion. I do think that no matter what, people need to take responsibility for their actions, and live with the consequences. The girl has made her argument that she would be unable to care for the child once it's born, which may be true, so put the baby up for adoption. There are many couples that would give anything to have a baby. She will learn early at 13 that she doesn't have to take responsibility for her actions and she will continue to lead a life of risky behavior thinking she is invincible, until she ends up with AIDS.
I think the courts were right by ordering her to seek counseling, but I think what they should have done is put the fear of God in her (since no one has done that yet) and make her learn from her misjudgement and mistake.

6th May, 2005 - 11:19am / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13. History & Civil Business Politics

I am pro-abortion and believe that a 13 year old girl without a responsible legal guardian does have a right to choice. I certainly don't believe the State or church have any right to intervene, who do they think they are?

At the end of the day that girl is responsible for her pregnancy so she should be the one who decides what is done with it.

I have been through this whole saga with an ex-girlfriend. We decided to have an abortion because neither of us were ready for that responsibility, nor could we possibly provide for that child. Me ex became pregnant because my condom broke so it was totally accidental, but these things happen.

For all of you who believe that birth control measures like abortion are 'evil', I would say go and visit India and tell that to the dumped child who walks up to you naked, covered in soot in the middle of a busy city road begging for money. There are millions of orphaned and hopelessly impoverished children who will die every minute of the day because their parents had NO choice. We should embrace freedom of choice because that is the beauty of life and what democracy is all about. Most people in the world will never have freedom.

As for god, nobody here knows that god exists. Human beings exist so lets not prevent others from making important life decisions over a belief that we can't prove.

She will learn early at 13 that she doesn't have to take responsibility for her actions and she will continue to lead a life of risky behavior thinking she is invincible, until she ends up with AIDS.

I don't mean any offence, but this is a ridiculous statement. Do we even know the circumstances behind this girl's pregnancy? Do you think she enjoys being pregnant or having to decide on an abortion? Have you met her? Do you know what her upbringing was like? How can you possibly judge this girl without knowing anything about her. How on earth is a 13 year old suppose to provide for a child? I don't think making burgers at McDonalds would really be enough, do you?

Did you know the single biggest cause for the rapid spread of the AIDS epidemic in Africa is the Catholic Church. It certainly isn't 13 year old girls falling pregnant and thinking they are invincible.

The whole point of being pro-choice is that in the end of the day if you are opposed to abortion then you have the choice to have a child. If you aren't, then you can have an abortion. Why do people, and I'm not referring to anyone in particular, who strongly believe in abortion need to impose that belief on others. It's really is no-ones business what this 13-year old girl does but her parents.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

6th May, 2005 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #

Choice Abortion

This is a really sad situation for this young girl. She has been in "state custody" for four years, and then ran away. It doesn't state how it happened that she became pregnant (yes, I understand the mechanics), just that it happened after she ran away from the "shelter" where she has been living.

So it *is* the state's business what she does, as they seem to be her legal guardian. However, a judge has ruled in the girl's favor and against the wishes of her guardian, the state.

No matter what happens, this poor child is in a bad situation to begin with. Having a child while she is still a child would be worse. While I disagree with abortion on principle, some circumstances should be allowed within the law.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Offtopic but,
Arvhic said:
birth control measures like abortion
I disagree that abortion should be considered a birth control method. I'll start a different thread about that for discussion.

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 6th May, 2005 - 1:12pm

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

6th May, 2005 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

Choice Abortion

I agree she shouldn't even be considering raising a child while she is still very much a child herself. Another option open to this 13 year old as well as any other person who is pregnant and doesn't want the child is adoption. We have a very long wait for couples to adopt babies in this country. So, adoption isn't the only choice she had.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 6th May, 2005 - 4:14pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.
A Friend

Abortion Choice At 13.

abortion is a sad thing, but we live in a world where we have to realize people make mistakes. Also too bad is the fact many religions seem to get too involved with the letter of the law and not the spirit of it. A child brought into this world by a child is something both are going to suffer from their entire lives. I was adopted at the age of 2 and while my adoption occurred in a questionable way, believe me it really hurts when you are mislead or lied to about your natural parents. I was lucky in that I come to know the truth of my biological family. Still I suffered much pain and heartbreak because others felt it their christian duty to discourage me from searching for my family. Most stories turned up wrong or just not credited to the correct person. I hope better for this poor girl.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th May, 2005 - 12:23pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice 13.

I really feel sorry for this poor girl and believe that she needs support and counselling rather than condemnation.
Abortion is a very hard decision for anyone to make and it is a personal decision. The State and the Church have no right to play 'god' in this matter. I think it will set a very dangerous precedent if society allows this. It's a step backwards.
I don't believe abortion should be taken lightly and the decision should benefit from adequate counselling.
As with a lot of things I think that prevention is the best cure. Maybe there was no way this girl's pregnancy could have been prevented, but with a lot cases in poorer societies the instance of abortion would be dramatically cut if religious leaders didn't condemn the use of contraception.

Also too bad is the fact many religions seem to get too involved with the letter of the law and not the spirit of it. A child brought into this world by a child is something both are going to suffer from their entire lives.

I agree with this statement, children need support and genuine caring. Every child's life is far more valuable than the outdated teachings of an ancient arabic book.

Adoption is a valid alternative but do you think it is more irresponsible to bring something into the world you won't care for than not?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 9th May, 2005 - 1:07pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.
A Friend

Abortion Choice 13. Politics Business Civil & History

While I stand in opposition to abortion, I believe that the choice should be hers to make. I believe that if she had real parents and wasn't a ward of the state, then she should not have the say because her parents are in charge of her. But in this case, she is the only one that has been there for herself all the time and thus is the one who could best make a choice about her own body. Its very sad that this had to happen, I'm sure this entire court process has not been easy on her and has not made life better for her. I hope now that the court case is over she can go through with her decision and get on with her life. She has been shipped from foster home to foster home and needs to be able to get on with her life as her own person. I hope the others don't condemn her for her actions, its hard to make these decisions when your by yourself and your only thirteen.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Abortion Choice At 13.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,