Smoking While Driving A Crime?

Smoking Driving Crime - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th May, 2005 - 2:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

3rd May, 2005 - 6:40pm / Post ID: #

Several German lawmakers want to ban smoking while driving, saying it's hazardous. https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7721034/

The article mentions that cell phone use has been banned and that this is just as distracting. Of course others point out that eating is dangerous as well. I have read statistics that indicate listening to the radio or changing stations is just as bad. I know I can get a bit dangerous when I am changing CD's. So, do we ban everything, or just things we decide aren't politically correct?

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
4th May, 2005 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

Crime Driving Smoking

If one wants to ban smoking while driving, then all activities that require the use of a hand will need to be banned as well. The article offers no reason other than it being a distraction, so therefore, anything that can be a distraction while driving should be banned as well, in my opinion.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

4th May, 2005 - 9:31am / Post ID: #

Smoking While Driving A Crime? History & Civil Business Politics

Well, you know that is exactly the same reason many states have used to ban use of cell phones, or requiring headsets to use cell phones, while driving. It doesn't matter what the studies show, it seems. Whatever is popular is what is enacted. To me, the shame is that the general public doesn't take the time to educate themselves on the issues rather than listening to the hype that often comes from the media. Then they could insist that their legislators only use honest information in making laws. If one doesn't understand the situation themselves, how can they hold their legislators accountable? undecided.gif

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

6th May, 2005 - 10:49am / Post ID: #

Crime Driving Smoking

Mobile phones yes, smoking no.

I used to smoke and drive and never found it distracting because it is an activity you do habititualy. Talking to someone on a phone requires you to think about what you are saying and thus lose concentration on the road.

However I'm a little sceptical about law makers want to ban people from doing things when driving because it is a great revenue earner that doesn't get to the crux of the problem. And also, where does it stop. Why not educate our drivers to be better drivers and understand why it is stupid to drive and use a mobile phone.

Advanced driving skills and intelligence is far more effective than a slap across the wrist.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

6th May, 2005 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Crime Driving Smoking

Actually, this has been an issue for a long time. I know I paid higher car insurance rates when I was a smoker, because smoking causes other issues besides disctraction. Are any of you old enough to remember the commercials with the cartoon cars, one that smoked and one that didn't? The one with the cigarrete got smoke in his eye, had a coughing spasm, and I forget what else... all to show that it can be dangerous to smoke and drive (and thereby justifies higher insurance).

Having said that, I don't think it's right or feasible to outlaw the practice of smoking and driving. I see people smoking and driving all the time. I did it for years without incident. How in the world could it be enforced?! Can you imagine the manpower necessary? It's just another symptom of government gone crazy, in my opinion.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

6th May, 2005 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

Don't know if they could monitor who and when one smokes whilst driving. Distractions I would have to agree with..they have already started banning smoking in restaurants, pubs and work places here in NZ....just give them time and they'll do their best to ban it whilst driving. I do understand why one should be banned as the safety of oneself and others is very important to consider!

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 3 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Smoking While Driving A Crime?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,