Joseph Smith's Translation Of The Bible. - Page 2 of 2

Why don't we use it as a church if - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Jun, 2008 - 5:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
20th Jul, 2005 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith's Translation Of The Bible. - Page 2

The biggest question I have about the Joseph Smith translation, is whether or not it was EVER meant to be given to the public. Since he said it was not to be unsealed until it arrived in Zion, then I would have been very hesitant to let it out to the Church at large, especially knowing that it would then be available to the general public.

Much of the Doctrine and Covenants, as well as the Book of Moses, came from his study and work on the translation of the Bible. So, much of our advanced understanding of eternal principles comes from this work as well. However, much of the work of the critics also comes from this same source.

While I love the JST, It really makes me wonder if Joseph Smith III didn't really mess things up by allowing it to go forth.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Jul, 2005 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith's Translation Of The Bible.
A Friend

Bible The Translation Smiths Joseph

Did I really write "uncomplete"? laugh.gif! There goes my cred! Anyway, Nighthawk you're probably right. Even without the JST, we still had plenty of revelation by Joseph Smith to understand more of the Bible.

Post Date: 1st Aug, 2005 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Joseph Smith's Translation Of The Bible. Studies Doctrine Mormon

I recently bought the LDS Collectors Library 2005, I went through and found a few more I'll put all of the ones that were not add to the original Translation but was later spoken by the Prophet.

Post Date: 7th Jun, 2008 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Bible The Translation Smiths Joseph

I've been studying the JST/IV for half a year now. It has really helped me A LOT! It is the most wonderful and most complete bible translation we can have at this time. At least in my humble opinion.
If ya'll want to know whether or not it is important to study the JST, check out the current priesthood manual on Joseph Smith. I don't know the page in the English manual (It's p. 71 in German, so it can't be to far from that in English laugh.gif ), it's chapter 4 the part where it says 'scriptures give us joy, comfort and wisdom' etc. There it says the Kingdom of God cannot progress without the Book of Mormon and the publication of the JST. (quote is from History of the Church 4:187). Hence we can see the need for studying the JST. Personally, I by now started to use the JST exclusively because I think no bible translation can bring me closer to the truth than Joseph's translation. Just my thoughts....

Post Date: 9th Jun, 2008 - 4:29am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bible The Translation Smiths Joseph

I think that JST would help us, but I think that it wasn't needed so he didn't finish it of. I find the JSt very useful because it gives you a clearer meaning.

9th Jun, 2008 - 6:04am / Post ID: #

I have never regarded the JST as a full blown bible review/correction and bring it in line with the original first penned manuscript. He would not have had the time either. He has corrected verses that are currently seriously questioned as being authentic. There are some beautiful stories with great messages that are just not found in the oldest sources available today. Still great stories but is it scripture? Does it matter?
So to me, I have always viewed the JST as Joseph going through the scriptures and anything he found that was not doctrinally correct, to make it doctrinally sound. I don't think he was concerned or questioned whether this really was inserted by some person 500 years later or not. But his making the pieces of the puzzle all fit makes a lot more sense to me and adds great value and side stepping at the same time the minefield of what actually is authentic or not. Keep in mind that we only know 10 words fore sure that is/are authentic in the NT. All the rest originated 100-300 years AD They found over 200,000 variations in the NT. so go figure.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Jun, 2008 - 5:34pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith's Translation The Bible. - Page 2

Why don't we use it as a church if we know it has been inspired in its' translation by Joseph Smith?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Joseph Smith's Translation Of The Bible.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,