Patriotism - Page 4 of 4

"The difference between patriotism and - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 11th Jan, 2011 - 12:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 

Is it misunderstood or misused?
Post Date: 11th Nov, 2008 - 4:33pm / Post ID: #

Patriotism
A Friend

Patriotism - Page 4

It is my belief that being patriotic means supporting my country for what it does. I pay my taxes and expect the government to use it wisely. It is my believe that the local government and its use of the police force to police our streets and keep the average citizen safe. It is up the the federal government to keep our borders safe.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Nov, 2008 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Patriotism

"If the test of patriotism comes only by reflexively falling into lockstep behind the leader whenever the flag is waved, then what we have is a formula for dictatorship, - not democracy... But the American way is to criticize and debate openly, not to accept unthinkingly the doings of government officials of this or any other country." - Michael Parenti

27th Nov, 2008 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Patriotism History & Civil Business Politics

I agree that is a big difference being a country of citizens that fill fight against the wrong choices of a government and the poor choices of other countries. A person should pick up their flag not because fearless lead said so but because they believe in the principles the country stands for.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

27th Nov, 2008 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Patriotism

I love my country and the ideals it stands for, and I would be willing to fight to protect it. However, I'm not a fan of my government. It's disappointing to find out some of the bitter truths of what goes on in our nation's capitol -- on both sides of the political parties -- and how little control the people actually have.

Rather off topic, but...
Klar - while I understand where your ideal comes from, I disagree. The police are not there to protect the ordinary citizen but to enforce the law. I learned that long ago. In any event, there are not, and cannot ever be, enough police or border patrol or military personnel available to actually "protect" or keep "safe" any of us. Which is why I'm a firm believer in home defense, but that's another topic.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 8th Dec, 2008 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

Patriotism

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" -- George Orwell

Post Date: 7th Jul, 2010 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Patriotism

Some Thoughts on "Patriotism"
By William Blum

The Japanese pilots who bombed Pearl Harbor were being patriotic. The German people who supported Hitler and his conquests were being patriotic, fighting for the Fatherland. All the Latin American military dictators who overthrew democratically-elected governments and routinely tortured people were being patriotic - saving their beloved country from "communism". Ref. Source 3

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 11th Jan, 2011 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Patriotism - Page 4

"The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war."
-- Sydney J. Harris (1953)

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Patriotism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,