British Airways - Page 2 of 4

Now that is big, a court telling a union that - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 17th Dec, 2009 - 4:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 

Airline Reviewed
16th Jun, 2009 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #

British Airways - Page 2

They're in such a bad shape that they are asking their staff to work for FREE for up to a month!

LONDON, England (CNN)  -- British Airways is asking thousands of its staff to work for free for up to four weeks, spokeswoman Kirsten Millard said Tuesday.

In an e-mail to all its staff, the airline offered workers between one and four weeks of unpaid leave -- but with the option to work during this period. British Airways employs just more than 40,000 people in the United Kingdom.

Last month, the company posted a record annual loss of £400 million ($656 million).

Its chief executive declared at the time there were "absolutely no signs of recovery" in the industry.

"I'm 30 years in this business and I've never seen anything like this. This is by far the biggest crisis the industry has ever faced," said Willie Walsh, British Airways' chief executive.

A spokesman for one of Britain's biggest unions said its workers could not afford to work for free for a month.

"It's all well and good for Willie Walsh to say he's prepared to work for free when he earns four times in a month what they do in a year," said Ciaran Naidoo, a spokesman for Unite.

He pointed out that the airline was not ordering staff to work without pay.

"It's a request -- you can take unpaid leave or you can work for free, and the chances of people working for free are very unlikely, but there might be some people who want to take unpaid leave...

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Jul, 2009 - 11:15am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Airways British

British Airways makes £148m loss

British Airways reports a pre-tax loss of £148m in the three months to the end of June, as the global recession hits earnings. Ref. Source 4

Post Date: 31st Jul, 2009 - 5:21pm / Post ID: #

British Airways
A Friend

British Airways Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I do not think they are going to be the only airline to post some big losses. I think most of the big name air carriers have lost revenue during this slow down.

Post Date: 25th Sep, 2009 - 10:46am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Airways British

British Airways sets seat charges

British Airways is to introduce charges for passengers who want to choose their seats before they fly, the airline says. Ref. Source 7

25th Sep, 2009 - 12:25pm / Post ID: #

Airways British

I've never been on Brisitsh Airways. I heard good things about them but I'm not going to be paying for every little extra. I thionk it should only be courtesy for you to choose your seat if you are booking in advance. It does not cost them anything to reserve a seat for you. If you're trying to get a last minute ticket then I can understand.

Post Date: 14th Dec, 2009 - 5:21pm / Post ID: #

British Airways

Strike

British Airways cabin crew members have voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action. Ref. BBC

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Dec, 2009 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

British Airways - Page 2

No Strike

British Airways wins its bid for a High Court injunction to prevent 12 days of strikes by cabin crew over Christmas. Ref. BBC

Post Date: 17th Dec, 2009 - 4:54pm / Post ID: #

British Airways
A Friend

British Airways Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

Now that is big, a court telling a union that it can not strike. I wonder what else a union will be told it can or can not do.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: British Airways

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,