Amish & Mennonites

Amish Mennonites - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 31st Mar, 2007 - 2:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Seek modern-day art / science
5th Mar, 2003 - 2:38am / Post ID: #

Amish & Mennonites

The Amish have their roots in the Mennonite community. Both were part of the early Anabaptist movement in Europe, which took place at the time of the Reformation. The Anabaptists believed that only adults who had confessed their faith should be baptized, and that they should remain separate from the larger society. Many early Anabaptists were put to death as heretics by both Catholics and Protestants, and many others fled to the mountains of Switzerland and southern Germany. Here began the Amish tradition of farming and holding their worship services in homes rather than churches.
In 1536, a young Catholic priest from Holland named Menno Simons joined the Anabaptist movement. His writings and leadership united many of the Anabaptist groups, who were nicknamed "Mennonites." In 1693, a Swiss bishop named Jacob Amman broke from the Mennonite church. His followers were called the "Amish." Although the two groups have split several times, the Amish and Mennonite churches still share the same beliefs concerning baptism, non-resistance, and basic Bible doctrines. They differ in matters of dress, technology, language, form of worship, and interpretation of the Bible.

The Amish seem stuck in history. Why don't they accept modern ideas and innovations?

Although the Amish look like they stepped out of the rural nineteenth century, in fact they do change. Their lives move more slowly than ours, but they definitely are not stuck anywhere. They choose to examine change carefully before they accept it. If the new idea or gadget does not assist in keeping their lives simple and their families together, they probably will reject it. Each church district decides for itself what it will and will not accept; there is no single governing body for the entire Old Order population, but all follow a literal interpretation of the Bible and an unwritten set of rules called the Ordnung.

Old Order groups all drive horses and buggies rather than cars, do not have electricity in their homes, and send their children to private, one-room schoolhouses. Children attend only through the eighth grade. After that, they work on their family's farm or business until they marry. The Amish feel that their children do not need more formal education than this. Although they pay school taxes, the Amish have fought to keep their children out of public schools. In 1972, the Supreme Court handed down a landmark unanimous decision which exempted the Old Order Amish and related groups from state compulsory attendance laws beyond the eighth grade. Many Mennonites and progressive Amish do attend high school and even college.

What are your thoughts about Amish? do you know any info or you have any comments you would like to add here?

Sponsored Links:
15th Dec, 2003 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

Mennonites and Amish

Actually I would love to live this way, the only thing I would miss is the forum. wink.gif No, but seriously, I think it would be great, there would be more time for the things that matter most --> people.

If the new idea or gadget does not assist in keeping their lives simple and their families together, they probably will reject it.

I believe that is what we should do now!

21st Feb, 2004 - 6:06pm / Post ID: #

Amish & Mennonites Beliefs Religious General

I believe that is what we should do now!

Well, let's start a LDS branch of people living like the time of Joseph Smith! smile.gif

21st Feb, 2004 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

Mennonites and Amish

I do not think that would work too well LDS wink.gif I have not seen any of these people in Trinidad, but I have met a Mennonite member here. She did not wear any special garb. Any in your area?

Post Date: 21st May, 2005 - 11:42am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mennonites and Amish

PSYCHIATRIC CENTER WILL SERVE AMISH AND MENNONITES

On the grounds of a private psychiatric center, Amish carpenters are at work on a modest, two-story house with light gray siding -- a place that will serve members of their faith who are afflicted with mental illness.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...35494%2C00.html

Post Date: 22nd May, 2005 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

Amish & Mennonites
A Friend

Amish & Mennonites

I live in a small rural town that is primarily a Walmart and two truck stops. Just a couple miles down the road is a small village of Amish people. I talk to them from time to time and they are very friendly towards me, much against what I always thought about them. They actually told me about this being built some where a couple months ago. I'm not sure how word spreads in the Amish and Mennonite communities, but it seems to spread fast despite the lack of modern facilities. The Amish in my rural town are excited about it because they have started to see that having the ability to help the mentally ill is not of the devil, but a blessing from God. Its good to see that they are able to get past that block that all science is bad so that they can receive help for those who really need it and very much would not get it else where. This also will allow for the treatments to take place on their terms so to speak without corrupting their belief system or their traditions.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Mar, 2007 - 7:15pm / Post ID: #

Amish & Mennonites

I really admire the way the Amish people live, and think that the way that they hold the family unit as the most important should set us all an example.
Although they live off the land and within their own communities, they work hard, whilst instilling good moral values within their children.
Really, I think it's a good healthy way to live, they are self sufficient, whilst other good points in my opinion are that they eat healthily, and keep their marriages together.
it's a pity more cultures aren't raised this way.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2007 - 2:09pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Amish & Mennonites General Religious Beliefs

NEW HOPE RISES AFTER SHOOTING RAMPAGE IN AMISH COUNTRY

Exactly six months after a tormented milk truck driver shot 10 young Amish students in Pennsylvania, killing five, then killed himself, a new school building will open Monday close to the site of the rampage.
Ref. www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/30/amish.school.ap/index.html

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Amish & Mennonites

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,