Stuttering

Stuttering - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 15th Feb, 2021 - 12:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
psychology discussion Mental Disorder
Post Date: 30th Mar, 2013 - 6:38am / Post ID: #

Stuttering

Stuttering

Discussion related to the mental disorder: Stuttering can be added here.

The Stuttering falls under the list of psychological mental disorders.Your personal experience or someone you know who had treatment with this disorder is welcome.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Apr, 2016 - 1:09pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Stuttering

Mice with genetic defect for human stuttering offer new insight into speech disorder

Mice that vocalize in a repetitive, halting pattern similar to human stuttering may provide insight into a condition that has perplexed scientists for centuries, according to a new study. These mice, which carry a mutation in a gene associated with stuttering in humans, may help scientists understand the biological basis of the disorder, and potentially lead to treatments. Ref. Source 6h.

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2017 - 12:30pm / Post ID: #

Stuttering Health & Special Psychology

Stuttering linked to reduced blood flow in area of brain associated with language

A new study demonstrates that regional cerebral blood flow is reduced in the Broca's area -- the region in the frontal lobe of the brain linked to speech production -- in persons who stutter. More severe stuttering is associated with even greater reductions in blood flow to this region. Ref. Source 6l.

11th Jan, 2017 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

Stuttering

I know for me personally, my stuttering is related to my racing thoughts. If I take the time to slow down and concentrate on what I am saying, or plan out what I am about to say, I can get through sentences (And presentations) without stuttering, but if I get excited, or if something throws me off, then I starts to stutter over my words and then get more nervous because I am stuttering and it gets worse. I usually have to stop completely and recompose myself before continuing to get it to stop. My wife didn't realize I had a stuttering problem until after we had been dating for a long time (We dated for 4 years before getting married, and I believe it was year 2 before she ever heard me stutter).

I can believe that blood flow to the language centers of the brain could cause stuttering as this area then can't keep up with the rest of the brain and then the person stutters. I know mentally that this is the cause of my stuttering, but it is beyond my control unless I really concentrate to contain my thoughts and slow myself down.

22nd Apr, 2017 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

Stuttering

I've never dealt with stuttering personally, but one really interesting tidbit that I've read was about music can help. The different parts of the brain control different aspects, like speech and processing. Music however, is found across both hemispheres of the brain, so it allows the brain to create new connections and help with a lot of traumatic injuries, and even stuttering. This is why a lot of times people who stutter can sing without a stutter!

Post Date: 15th Dec, 2017 - 2:14am / Post ID: #

Stuttering

Stuttering: Stop signals in the brain disturb speech flow. 'G-g-g-g-g-ood morning' is a daily obstacle for people who stutter. However, so far, not much is known about the causes of persistent developmental stuttering, which is the most frequent speech disorder. Scientists have recently discovered that a hyperactive network in the right frontal part of the brain plays a crucial role in this deficit. It inhibits speech movement planning and execution, thereby interrupting the flow of speech. Source 8u.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Aug, 2019 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Stuttering

Type of brain cell involved in stuttering identified. Researchers believe that stuttering -- a potentially lifelong and debilitating speech disorder -- stems from problems with the circuits in the brain that control speech, but precisely how and where these problems occur is unknown. Using a mouse model of stuttering, scientists report that a loss of cells in the brain called astrocytes are associated with stuttering. The mice had been engineered with a human gene mutation previously linked to stuttering. The study offers insights into the neurological deficits associated with stuttering. Source 9i.

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2021 - 12:40pm / Post ID: #

Stuttering Psychology Special & Health

Star-shaped brain cells may be linked to stuttering. Astrocytes -- star-shaped cells in the brain that are actively involved in brain function -- may play an important role in stuttering, a study led by an expert on stuttering has found. The study also suggests that treatment with the medication risperidone leads to increased activity of the striatum in persons who stutter. Source 7c.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Stuttering

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,