American English - Page 2 of 4

QUOTE 75% General American English 20% Upper - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 21st Nov, 2005 - 5:07am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Which version of it do you speak? Take the test.
Post Date: 27th Aug, 2005 - 9:42pm / Post ID: #

American English
A Friend

American English - Page 2

Your Linguistic Profile:
80% General American English
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Midwestern

Some of the questions were not really acurate I use some of the terms both ways but then I call soda "sodapop"

Sponsored Links:
28th Aug, 2005 - 1:51am / Post ID: #

English American

70% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie

I'm not too surprised by these results. I am surprised they didn't ask whether or not we call the side of a road a "borrow pit" or something else. What about glove compartment vs. jockey box? I know jockey box is used in the west quite a bit which is probably the reason I prefer it!

28th Aug, 2005 - 5:55am / Post ID: #

American English UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

That's an interesting test.

Your Linguistic Profile:
65% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

I have just come to the United States three years ago so most of my English is based on the books I read, and the pronounciation was based on English television shows that I watched.

Reconcile Edited: Smudge on 28th Aug, 2005 - 5:56am

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2005 - 9:17pm / Post ID: #

American English
A Friend

Page 2 English American

Your Linguistic Profile:
55% General American English
30% Dixie
10% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

**giggle** I honestly expected to score higher on the Dixie. There were a couple of them, like the easy class, that I had never even heard of. I call an easy class... well...and easy class. People make fun of my accent all the time, and I'm definately one of those people who add syllables to words.

Reconcile Edited: BabyBlues on 4th Sep, 2005 - 9:18pm

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2005 - 7:23pm / Post ID: #

American English
A Friend

English American

50% General American English
40% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

... What is Yankee and Dixie? I don't speak American English, I speak British English, like put 'u' in colour. Or ''adverts'' in stead of commercials.
Better yet I do not speak English at all. ^_^

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 15th Nov, 2005 - 11:05pm

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2005 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #

American English
A Friend

American English

If I'm correct and anyone who knows better than I, Dixie is from deep south in the United States from states like Louisana, and those states while Yankee is from Virginia and places like that. I'm sorry if I can't be much clearer.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Nov, 2005 - 11:06pm / Post ID: #

American English - Page 2

Yankie would be the vernacular used most commonly by New Englanders and Dixie would be most common among those from the South East. If you speak British English it is no surprise that you scored so high on the Yankee portion since this is the part of the country established originally by the British. It is from where the New England accent comes and has much to do with the local terms used.

Virginia most definitely is NOT Yankee.

21st Nov, 2005 - 5:07am / Post ID: #

American English Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

75% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern

Not too surprising, considering I was born in Oregon and have never really travelled out of the west.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: American English

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,