Gay Marriage In Culture

Gay Marriage Culture - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 9th Dec, 2005 - 5:37am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Homosexual Marriage Legal in certain places, not in others. This Thread discusses the countries that are quickly embrassing the concept of same sex marriage and the impact of it on their society.
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2005 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Gay Marriage In Culture

Canadian lawmakers pass same-sex marriage bill

TORONTO (AP) - Canada's House of Commons passed landmark legislation Tuesday to legalize gay marriage, granting same-sex couples legal rights equal to those in traditional unions between a man and a woman.
Ref. https://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-06...-marriage_x.htm

Spanish Parliament legalizes gay marriage

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Parliament legalized gay marriage Thursday, defying conservatives and clergy who opposed making traditionally Roman Catholic Spain the third country to allow same-sex unions nationwide. Jubilant gay activists blew kisses to lawmakers after the vote.
Ref. https://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-06...-marriage_x.htm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2005 - 3:39am / Post ID: #

Gay Marriage In Culture
A Friend

Culture Marriage Gay

At the risk of the abuse I know I will take for this statement, its about time that countrys start recognizing the equality of all people. I wish our country would become more open minded and allow gay marriage also, but that argument is already being discussed elsewhere.

What is the difference between America and these other countries that allow same sex marriage? One of the countries listed above are a highly conservative country. How did a traditionally conservative country like Spain pass a law allowing this?

Post Date: 6th Dec, 2005 - 3:49pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Gay Marriage In Culture Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

GAY UK COUPLES BEGIN REGISTERING FOR UNIONS

Gay couples across the United Kingdom began registering on Monday for the legal right to marry as the country moved a step closer to sanctioning gay unions this month.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...-UK-051205.html

Post Date: 8th Dec, 2005 - 2:31am / Post ID: #

Gay Marriage In Culture
A Friend

Culture Marriage Gay

The government should not be involved with marriage, period.

It wasn't involved in marriage until the 1800's, when Southerners sought to prevent marriages between whites and non-whites. Before then, it was between God, the man, and the woman (and their families, of course).

Besides, a liscense implies that you need government permission. And no government is going to tell me whom I can or can't marry. That's an issue between myself and God - not myself and Uncle Sam.

8th Dec, 2005 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Culture Marriage Gay

QUOTE (deadhobbit)
It wasn't involved in marriage until the 1800's, when Southerners sought to prevent marriages between whites and non-whites. Before then, it was between God, the man, and the woman (and their families, of course).

I do really agree with that statement, it is between the couple and God. I personally do not approve a marriage or relationship between two people of the same sex.

MAR'RIAGE, n. L.mas, maris. The act of uniting a man and woman for life; wedlock; the legal union of a man and woman for life. Marriage is a contract both civil and religious, by which the parties engage to live together in mutual affection and fidelity, till death shall separate them. Marriage was instituted by God himself for the purpose of preventing the promiscuous intercourse of the sexes, for promoting domestic felicity,and for securing the maintenance and education of children. Link

I am not the judge of any man, however every man will stand before God and be judged.

8th Dec, 2005 - 4:37am / Post ID: #

Gay Marriage In Culture

QUOTE (deadhobbit @ 7-Dec 05, 9:31 PM)
deadhobbitt: "Besides, a liscense implies that you need government permission. And no government is going to tell me whom I can or can't marry. That's an issue between myself and God - not myself and Uncle Sam."

This reply will be a little off topic from the original topic, but I wanted to reply to a statement deadhobbitt made. Should you be allowed to marry an eleven year old girl because you want to and its between you, the girl and God? The government has decided that in some cases it has to intervene. So no, deadhobbitt, you are not allowed to marry whoever you want. But I do agree with the idea or your argument.

Now back to the topic at hand. The traditional definition has been defined as a union between a man and a woman, but where does that definition stem from. The politicians will tell you its from their religious beliefs. That seems to mix the church with the state. The bible states that we should rest on Sunday. Will the government start to force businesses to close. Should the government impose one set of religious beliefs on others who do not believe in the same set of beliefs. The government should enact laws based on the general good of the people. Is gay marriage harmful to the citizens of the US? Gays are not forcing straight people into marriage. They just want to be protected with the same rights as a married couple (inheritance, insurance, etc). The government should allow civil unions between people of the same sex. By doing so, the government is not saying that this is recognized by God, but by the government.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Dec, 2005 - 2:55pm / Post ID: #

Gay Marriage In Culture
A Friend

Gay Marriage Culture

Thats an interesting comment made earlier about the usage of a license to marry. In some ways, marriage has shifted from a religious ceremony to something required to get tax benefits. Non-religious people and religious people alike must get a license to be considered married. That would be the permission spoken of earlier. So its really no longer a pact between God and Man/Woman, its a pact between two people and the government. You don't even have to get married in a church or by a preacher/priest. I was married by a judge. This sounds more like civil unions in the U.K. as opposed to the traditional view of marriage. So why do we, while excepting marriage view judge and licensing view state, disagree with civil unions as well as an alternative? And still I wonder, how did Spain, a very conservative country, vote to allow gay marriage?

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2005 - 5:37am / Post ID: #

Gay Marriage In Culture
A Friend

Gay Marriage Culture Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

This reply will be a little off topic from the original topic, but I wanted to reply to a statement deadhobbitt made. Should you be allowed to marry an eleven year old girl because you want to and its between you, the girl and God?

If the girl and her parents both consented to the marriage without coercion, and the girl is treated properly (no abuse, etc.) then the government has no buisness in it.

In some cultures, it isn't uncommon for a girl to be either engaged or married at this age. While I personally find this sort of thing repulsive in the vast majority of cases, it isn't any of my buisness.

The traditional definition has been defined as a union between a man and a woman, but where does that definition stem from.

That is the "traditional" argument, but it isn't correct. Marriages that did not consist of a union between a single man and a single woman have been happening for thousands of years. In Ancient Israel (and Southern Utah tongue.gif) Polygamy was practiced, and in Modern Israel the Temanim still practice it. In Ancient Greece, it was not at all uncommon for an older man to seek out a young male for a partner.

The bible states that we should rest on Sunday.

No it doesn't, but that's probably a matter for a different thread

The government should enact laws based on the general good of the people.

And who decides what the "general good" is? If the general population thinks it would be good to commit genocide on some minority, should the government pass laws allowing it? This happened in Missouri, when the state passed a law allowing any Mormon to be shot on sight. A few decades ago, thankfully, it was repealled.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Gay Marriage In Culture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,