What Will We Learn From Disaster?

What Learn Disaster - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 11th Sep, 2005 - 10:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

1st Sep, 2005 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

As the aftermath of Katrina becomes clearer, what will we learn from the events unfolding on the news? Here are a few things I've already noticed:

1. It takes only a few days of discomfort before violence breaks out
People will fight over water, a place to sit or lie down, a wrong "look," etc.

2. We can't depend on "rescue"
It's taking days and days before most teams arrive -- local emergency response teams cannot possibly deal with a disaster of any real magnitude. Do you have an "emergency" kit with enough water and supplies for 72 hours? Do you think 3 days is really enough to prepare for, after seeing what's happening in Louisiana?

3. Most people will NOT prepare, even in the face of warning after warning
Look at the thousands of people stranded in their own homes! No food, no potable water, no raft or boat to float themselves out. They stayed home even after so-called mandatory evacuations, with nothing to keep them alive. And many of them will die, if they haven't already.

4. Lawlessness and crime, chaos and anarchy, will occur *immediately* upon the disappearance of any kind of authority
Are you prepared to defend yourself and your family?

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
1st Sep, 2005 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Disaster Learn Will What

A very good topic and many of those things I have often thought about, especially the part about water. I have considered looking for land on high ground since flooding and tornadoes seem to always hit the flat. I have also been known to keep various kits / food storage items around, however if you are on the flat and an earthquake of flood hits that is not of much use. Maybe it will be a good idea to have a refuge spot, a place that is located far from your current position with all the things you need stored and waiting.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

1st Sep, 2005 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

What Will We Learn From Disaster? History & Civil Business Politics

Excellent points to consider, and back in the days before Y2K, that was a very common theme: "Get out of the City!" Watching this horror story with Katrina reinforces that for me. I really believe that to survive the coming lawlessness as the world gets crazier, my family will have to relocate far from the urban sprawl.

Here are some other points to ponder:

5. People will die, and there will be no one to take care of their bodies
It's well known that disease spreads quickly. Think of the heat and humidity in the areas affected by this disaster -- it's 92F, with 80% humidity and the threat of more thunderstorms. There are dead people in the crowds at the Superdome, there are still dead peple floating in the floodwaters, and there are dead people in homes for miles and miles in and around the cities.

6. Disease will be prevalent
How will you protect yourself and your family?

7. What about toilet facilities?
How will you take care of the needs of your family?

8. Most people want to be led to safety, and become angry when nothing happens
Will you be among the crowd of sheep waiting for rescue? Or will you take the initiative and use your own feet and resources to get you out of danger?

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

3rd Sep, 2005 - 1:53am / Post ID: #

Disaster Learn Will What

9. In the event of mandatory evacuations, take an alternate route
People were stuck in traffic for hour upon hour, and could have been trapped in their cars in the middle of the storm. Plan your path through lesser traveled roads/backroads, and even head toward a different city than everyone else seems to be going. Once you are "in line" with everyone else on the road, you are stuck.

10. Avoid all other people -- including "authority figures" -- particularly if you are armed
In a disaster situation, they are not always your friends. If you have supplies for you and your family, don't risk getting a "shake down" from someone who may not have any integrity. Wearing a badge or a uniform doesn't make people good or honest. They *will* try to disarm you, regardless of whether or not they are on the up-and-up.

9th Sep, 2005 - 3:48pm / Post ID: #

Disaster Learn Will What

NEW ORLEANS - Soldiers and police confiscated guns from homeowners as they went house to house, trying to clear the shattered city of holdouts because of the danger of disease and fire. Police on Friday also marked homes with corpses inside, with plans to return later.

Full Story

Told you they'd disarm the people. In this case, perhaps it's for the best, with the threat of disease and lack of basic water and hygiene facilities. But it just reinforces the idea of getting out before it gets this bad.

Post Date: 11th Sep, 2005 - 10:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think it shows the difference between Floridians and the rest of the world. Jim Cantore said it best when he said "If I were in Florida, there wouldn't be anybody here."

I think a very valuable lesson is not to take ANYTHING for granted. Part of Mississippi didn't prepare very well because they assumed that the hurricane would stay on its path straight for Louisianna. What happened? She shifted east, and they were caught off guard.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: What Will We Learn From Disaster?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,