Adhd In Adults - Page 2 of 3

Exercise can help adults better cope with - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 17th Jun, 2016 - 9:56am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 29th Oct, 2006 - 4:06am / Post ID: #

Adhd In Adults
A Friend

Adhd In Adults - Page 2

As someone who was recently diagnosed with ADD (about a month ago - halfway through my PhD!) I've been learning a lot about it lately. While the treatments in adults are largely the same as those in children, the actual condition can manifest quite differently in an adult. Unfortunately, since adult ADD is something of a recent discovery, most of the psychological tests are geared towards children. On the good side, the best way to determine if you have ADD or not is to remember back to what you were like as a child, if you can, so most of the child-oriented tests are still useful.

Something else worth noting is that, while medication can help a lot of people, people who are in adulthood when diagnosed have often already developed methods of coping with the downsides of ADD and may not actually need the improvements medication can bring. Of course, it might be nice to not have to cope anymore, so it's often worth trying the medical route anyway.

Sponsored Links:
14th Sep, 2009 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Adults Adhd

I am learning quite a lot about adult ADHD. I am especially learning that drugs are a rather minor part of treating ADD/ADHD. There are a lot of different actions that someone with ADHD and their family can take to thrive with this condition.

Some of the symptoms that I see in myself include the fact that I have a very difficult time finishing books. I can read the first few chapters, be completely enthralled with them, then get distracted and find myself unable to get back into the book.

At work, I was innovative, empathetic, at times brilliant, and frequently bored. I had all sorts of details that I needed to take care of, but whenever I would look at my lists to do, my mind rebelled and found something else to focus on. I found myself looking for something on the internet, or reading something on my Palm or going to find someone to talk to.

I had great accomplishments, but never really completed any projects, because I couldn't get all the documentation finished and the details cleared up.

Dr. Hallowell, in his book Delivered from Distraction, pointed out some very negative characteristics of people with ADHD.

We are filled with Shame, Self attacks, Pessimism, Dread, and finding ways to Escape. We have been told all our lives about how we have such great potential, and if we would only pay attention and apply ourselves, we would excel.

At the same time, he has made some great observations about the positive side of ADHD.

Here is one of my favorites, from this website: All the people in Europe who couldn't sit still migrated to North America.

I recommend his book very highly. One of the first things he wrote in it is that someone with ADHD will be unable to read the book all the way through. So he suggested that we jump around in it. This has helped me to learn so much from it, because I don't feel any need to read it from beginning to end.

Post Date: 7th Mar, 2010 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Adhd In Adults Health & Special Psychology

Name: Jace

Comments: AD/HD in adults is more of an annoying social problem. Take a guy I know, he talks like a woman, moves like he is unsettled and touches things like it if there about to fall from a ledge. He is normal in every other aspect but those few things kind of isolates how far he can go with a serious relationship.

28th Mar, 2010 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Adults Adhd

I have this disorder but refused treatment. I thought my body would learn to cope with it but I seem to be getting worse. I sometimes feel like an idiot at work, and many people at first think I am stupid until the point I hold an intelligent conversation for a lengthy period of time. I know medication would help me but the truth is I have been spun off so many drugs that I don't want to add another to the list. And speed particularly I have had previous substance abuse problems with. Then again, my tolerance for speed has grown so high it may not even help my problem.

I used to take 8 pills jammed with MDMA and speed every week. I know there was tons of speed because after the MDMA wore off around midnight, I would be awake on speed until at least lunch time the following day. Scary part is after taking this amount I reached a point where those 8 pills barely got me high from the MDMA and I felt nothing from the speed. My tolerance hasn't really gone back down.

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2010 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

Adults Adhd

Name: ADHDisme

Comments: I used to think like you but then my family and friends were noticeably trying to avoid me. I guess I couldn't see the impact I was having on them. Since going through therapy I'm able to exercise better control and my family says I made a big improvement.

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2011 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

Adhd In Adults
A Friend

Adhd In Adults

Growing up, always felt left out of social things, never could figure out how people made friends or got girl or boy friends. Was naive or unaware to many things, figured out half way through my life, I was very highly empathic, and I had turned off many things to survive as a kid, before I was aware, I felt others emotions, feelings and intentions as my own. Then I turned things back on, things got better, I realized I as wired to be a empath, I see what others intents by this, not much by observing physical behavior.

Always felt disconnected in life, life was not easy, living a life feeling like job, with added military connected problems. It was not until a year ago, while talking to a more recent new family friend, that I am ADD, besides dyslexic and hypersensitive Empath. The friend has remarried since her ADD husband has died, but we related about him and her kids, all certified ADD, some ADHD.

I realize now why I felt like a computer with many of the wires pulled out. Why I could only learn and accomplish things I had a very high passion for, and why I was always so bored with things that were not in this line.

Now know why a little caffeine, my poison, Mt Dew, actually helps me to relax and puts me to sleep. So many things are different from the norm, finally nice to figure it out, even if I am 63. Back in the 50s and 60s, none or so little was know about these things.

I know that much of the negative things about being ADD is from vaccinations and toxins, not that ADD is really so bad or limiting in itself, actually a plus.

Do to military and family inherited problems, it has grown worse over the years, to the point that I could hardly read and do many mental tasks I could do 20 years ago. With what I learned, and what I knew and what I researched, discovered Guarana berry seed herb extract. Take 100 mg arouind every 4 to 5 days and now I can read and function like 20 years ago. Nice to be a littler more able again.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Mar, 2012 - 2:15pm / Post ID: #

Adhd Adults - Page 2

I have a math teacher that I just swear is ADHD or something like it. he fidgets a lot and can hardly focus on one thing, if I was not half as good in math I would be totally lost with his teaching methods.

Post Date: 17th Jun, 2016 - 9:56am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Adhd Adults Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

Exercise can help adults better cope with ADHD symptoms

Exercise, even a small amount, can help alleviate symptoms of ADHD in adults, according to a new study. About 6 percent of American adults report symptoms consistent with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, which lead to anxiety, depression, low energy and motivation, poor performance at work or school and also increased traffic accidents. Ref. Source 8w.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Adhd In Adults

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,