Shall I Marry For Time Only?

Shall Marry Time Only - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Sep, 2005 - 1:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Just in case?
Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2005 - 4:51pm / Post ID: #

Keep an Eternal Perspective

I would admonish you to maintain an eternal perspective. Make certain that the marriage in your future is a temple marriage. There is no scene so sweet, no time so sacred as that very special day of your marriage. Then and there you glimpse celestial joy. Be alert; do not permit temptation to rob you of this blessing.

In the delightful musical Camelot, as the plot thickens and Queen Guinevere becomes infatuated with Lancelot, King Arthur, her husband, pleads with her-and with each of us-"We must not let our passions destroy our dreams."

Precious young people, make every decision you contemplate pass this test: What does it do to me? What does it do for me? And let your code of conduct emphasize not "What will others think?" but rather "What will I think of myself?" Be influenced by that still, small voice. Remember that one with authority placed his hands on your head at the time of your confirmation and said, "Receive the Holy Ghost." Open your hearts, even your very souls, to the sound of that special voice that testifies of truth. As the prophet Isaiah promised, "Thine ears shall hear a word "¦ saying, This is the way, walk ye in it." 3

The tenor of our times is permissiveness. A most popular feature of one of the leading newspaper Sunday supplements portrays the idols of the movie screen, the heroes of the athletic field-those whom many young people long to emulate-as flouting the laws of God and rationalizing away sinful practices, seemingly with no ill effect. Don't you believe it! There is a time of reckoning-even a balancing of the ledger. It's called Judgment Day, even the Big Exam of Life. Are we prepared? Are we pleased with our own performances?

--Thomas S. Monson, "Whom Shall I Marry?" New Era, Oct. 2004, 4

Sponsored Links:
24th Aug, 2005 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

Only Time Marry Shall

Observing many LDS students over time, I see that most of them have a bizarre inferiority complex, like they will NEVER find somebody to marry, and even if they did, the other one would NEVER feel the same way, etc. It's called pseudo-humility. We are raised to downplay our accomplishments, to refuse to accept praise, just in case we are being prideful. Granted, those who brag and gloat are distasteful and probably need a lesson in humility, but that doesn't mean we should deny our worth in under the misnomer of humility.

"Should I marry for time only, just in case?" In case what? In case I really don't want an eternal family? In case I decide that convenience is more important than covenant? In case the scriptures and the prophets are just kidding?

We must believe that we are worth eternal marriage. We must have faith, not only that the rewards outweigh the wait, but that we are each worthy of eternal life. We must clarify in our own minds what our righteous goals are, and believe that we are not only capable of achieving them, but are destined to do so in the Lord's time.

This is not to demean or belittle those who are lonely, or those who have married outside the Temple. Their lives and concerns are very real and valid, but for singles wondering about the question, the prophets have spoken plainly.

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2005 - 10:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Shall I Marry For Time Only? Studies Doctrine Mormon

If a person wants to marry for time only has some issues with their belief structure. Like I heard once from someone say, "I love you, but only for time, I want to be with you, but only for time, I want to raise a family with you, but only for time." I'm sorry but anyone who truly loves their bf or gf, would not settle for time only. My gf and myself will NEVER settle for anything but eternity. :eternityorbust:

19th Sep, 2005 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Only Time Marry Shall

I don't think it is a matter of ONLY wanting to be with your gf or bf for time only, but is more an issue of being willing to marry someone who CAN'T take you to the temple. Maybe they aren't a member of the Church, for example.

We have been counseled not to do this, but if someone chooses to, it doesn't mean the love their gf or bf less than someone who chooses to marry a member.

19th Sep, 2005 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Only Time Marry Shall

Although the feelings of love may be just as strong in non-sealed couples in some aspects, eternal love without the Temple is not achievable. I could not have hope in the love I feel for my future wife if the Temple was not part of our expectations from the beginning. Couples who convert later are one matter, because they don't know anything different when they marry. However, a member who understands the true doctrine of eternal marriage should not settle for less.

I see in this whole issue a difference between romantic love as we usually see it and a deeper spiritual connection that is the foundation of true and noble love. A relationship may be based on physical attraction, personality preferences, common interests, or anything else, but if it is not based on a spiritual common denominator, it is not as full or enjoyable as it could be.

Post Date: 19th Sep, 2005 - 1:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The name of this tread is Shall I marry for time only? Thus it would be assumed that the only ones to answer this believe in Eternal Marriage, thus how long you want to spend with you gf or bf does play a factor.

When I was younger (much younger) I felt that marriage was for time only I had no idea of what eternal marriage was. Now that I understand the doctrine I couldn't imagine being stuck with someone for time only. True love can only be truly achieved when two people (who believe in Eternal Marriage) get sealed in the Temple. I'm not saying that non-members don't know what true love is. I'm talking about members. If I were to marry my gf for time only (she would kill me), I would basically telling her I love you, but not enough to be sealed to you for all eternity. I will love our children, but not enough to have them sealed to us for all eternity. I believe that if we truly love our gf or bf or fiancee and we believe in temple marriage we better make sure we love them enough to actually want to be sealed.

I'm reminded of a Anime movie called Oh! My goddess. Where there is this gate called, "the Gate of Judgment". If two people from other worlds fall in love and want to be together, they would have to go through the gate of Judgement. If there was any doubt on either one's part of their love for each other. They would be separated for all eternity. In a way the Temple is like the Gate of Judgment if either one is not fully committed and they end up getting a civil marriage they will be separated for all eternity.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Shall I Marry For Time Only?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,