Personal Revelation

Personal Revelation - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Mar, 2007 - 8:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

31st May, 2004 - 4:59am / Post ID: #

Personal Revelation

Do you actively seek revelation for yourself and your family? In what ways do you feel you've received answers or quidance, i.e., is it always the "still small voice," or do you find yourself reading a scripture or an article, or hearing a talk or a lesson in church that answers your question?

I'm still relatively new at this. I'm mostly afraid to *go ask*! But I know it's part of my progression and have started to more actively seek, knock, etc. (thanks Nighthawk, for "Further Light & Knowledge"!)

Just yesterday, I received what I believe is an answer while I was reading in the D&C. Bam! There it was! Wow! Now, do I insult God by going and asking for confirmation?

Roz

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st May, 2004 - 6:53am / Post ID: #

Personal Revelation
A Friend

Revelation Personal

Beleive it or not, my answers to prayer seem to come in dreams. I pray over something for the longest time and can never get a feeling, or hear a prompting but when I do get answers, it is at night in a dream, similar to the experience Lehi had with the Tree of Life. It is completely different from a regular dream. I don't know how to explain it, but I know it is revelation.

I used to try to follow the direction given to Oliver Cowdery in D&C 9 where it talks of the burning in the bosom. I only remember twice in my life where this worked, both while serving a mission. There's probably 1,000 times where i tried to seek answers this way and was unsuccesful.

So now, i pray fervently, seeking to draw close to the spirit and wait for the Lord to answer in his own due time. Why the answers seem to come in dreams is not clear. Maybe it is the only time my mind is not preoccupied.

31st May, 2004 - 11:42am / Post ID: #

Personal Revelation Studies Doctrine Mormon

Just yesterday, I received what I believe is an answer while I was reading in the D&C. Bam! There it was! Wow! Now, do I insult God by going and asking for confirmation?

First of all, I don't believe it would insult him for you to seek confirmation if you really aren't sure that is the answer. However, if you know it is the answer then it might be better to seek his help in putting into action whatever the answer was that you received.

I have received answers several different ways. Often I actually hear words in my head. Don't think of me as weird, I don't mean like people are talking to me. It is my own voice or better said my own thoughts but the answer just flows. Usually when I am in the shower. Probably because this is about the only place where I am not distracted by something else, like a person, the television, stereo, etc., so I can actually listen.

I have also been reading scripture or attending a family home evening and just be struck the sudden knowledge that whatever was just read or said is directed at me by Heavenly Father and that it is an answer to something with which I have been struggling or questioning. That has happened two very notable times when I was struck with such force and conviction that I just couldn't deny it. It was very overwhelming.

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2005 - 1:20am / Post ID: #

Revelation Personal

PRESIDENT PACKER EMPHASIZES THE NEED FOR PERSONAL REVELATION
See https://www.lds.org/news/0,5014,5014-,00.html

LAIE, Hawaii - In his December 17 commencement address to over 250 Brigham Young University-Hawaii graduates, President Boyd K. Packer, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, used some of his own experiences to emphasize the increasing need for personal revelation in modern times. "You won't survive spiritually unless you know how to receive revelation," President Packer stressed.

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2005 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

Personal Revelation
A Friend

Revelation Personal

Now, do I insult God by going and asking for confirmation?

In nothing man does does he insult God. God expects you to ask for a confirmation for your personal revelations. Don't forget that Satan can give men false revelation, so when you go to our father in Heaven to ask confirmation on a revelation to see if you just received a revelation or if Satan is trying to deceive you.

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2006 - 11:41pm / Post ID: #

Personal Revelation
A Friend

Personal Revelation

Everybody recieves answers in different ways and at different times! Heavenly Father will also answer in His time and His way.

Also when we realize that we have recieved an answer to a question or personal revelation to do something we need pray and ask out Heavenly Father if there is more for us!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Mar, 2007 - 8:04pm / Post ID: #

Personal Revelation

"[Some] people say, 'I would have willingly endured persecution and trials if I might have lived in the early years of the Church when there was such a flow of revelation published as scripture. Why is that not happening now?'

"The revelations that came through the Prophet Joseph Smith, printed as scripture, laid the permanent foundation of the Church through which the gospel of Jesus Christ could go forth to 'every nation' (2 Nephi 26:13). . . .

"The opposition and trials are different now. If anything, they are more
intense, more dangerous than in those early days, aimed not so much at the Church as at us as individuals. The early revelations, published as scriptures for the permanent guidance of the Church, define the ordinances and covenants and are still in force.

"One of those scriptures promises, 'If ye are prepared ye shall not fear' (D&C 38:30). . . .

"[Much] has been done to prepare us. . . . I do not fear the future. . . .

". . . Continuing revelation [is] open to the Church and to each individual member."

(Boyd K. Packer, "On Zion's Hill," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 70-71)

> TOPIC: Personal Revelation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,