Fail

Fail - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 10th Sep, 2005 - 1:15am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

?
Poll: The word 'fail' should never be used in the classroom...
  I agree       57.14%
  I disagree       42.86%
Total Votes: 7
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Post Date: 21st Jul, 2005 - 11:59am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Fail

Using 'Fail'

Reuters - The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...tain_failure_dc

Sponsored Links:
21st Jul, 2005 - 5:25pm / Post ID: #

Fail

"Deferred success" sounds pretty silly in my opinion, of course I think the word "fail" is way too strong. As a teacher I never used the word "fail" before, I did not see a need for it. If a student ever asked me how she did on her exam and I know she did not pass, I would say something like "Hmm, I corrected your exam but you did not fulfill the requirements needed to pass it. I know you will do so much better next time".

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2005 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #

Fail
A Friend

Fail UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

What does this teach our students though? Synonyms for the word fail? Are they going to change the grade scale to A-B-C-D-DS? I don't think the phrase "deferred success" will change reactions to not passing, and certainly won't change the study habits of children. I feared the "F" and I new my behind would be grass if I ever brought one home.

23rd Jul, 2005 - 6:52am / Post ID: #

Fail

It's all part of the psychological pandering to self-esteem that began sometime in the 1950s/1960s (or somewhere in there), when some committee or another decided that poor little Jane and Johnny Schoolchild were getting their feelings hurt too much.

Blather.

I think it's ridiculous to use some euphemism rather than call it like it is. We have two or three generations of kids who can't spell or punctuate because the teacher isn't allowed to tell them they are wrong. Now we can't tell them they have failed?

You can see what my opinion is.
Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 23rd Jul, 2005 - 6:53am

9th Sep, 2005 - 4:35am / Post ID: #

Fail

In some districts, the A B C D F scale is changing to something like Excellent, Proficient, Partially Proficient, and Needs Improvement. I think that failure is a valid term to use for the efforts of some children. It is not too harsh to say that a student has failed to meet the requirements for passing a test or a class. In most American classes from pre-school to the end of Junior High, the only way to fail a grade is to refuse to try, or to skip school. We need to be less touchy-feely and nitpicky about semantics and expect something of the students. They should expect to work to get good grades. They should not expect a free ride in school, because otherwise their expectations will be rudely and suddenly changed when they walk away after graduation. For a success to be a true success, there must be a possibility of failure.

9th Sep, 2005 - 10:19am / Post ID: #

Fail

Well, I actually agree with everyone, even though not everyone agrees. laugh.gif

I think the lower grades should not use the term fail. Many school districts in the states use, Not Satisfactory, Needs Improvement, Satisfactory, Above Average... for the lower grades and begins letter grades at about the Junior High level. I believe there comes a point when a child should be told they have failed, but I certainly don't think that point is kindergarten.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th Sep, 2005 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Fail
A Friend

Fail

I think it depends on the age group you are dealing with, the individual student, and the way that you present the whole issue. If you stand up in front of twenty second graders and have a harsh demeanor and are telling they failed, and the way you say it sounds completely condescending, and even angry, then that will probably cause more harm than good. With older students, such as middle and high school, it's a lot easier, and good for them, to be spoken to bluntly, but in a loving way.

A lot of children these days have very little encouragement, either from parents, friends, or even the media. Our media is always pointing out ways to be better and putting out the perfect persona. A lot of students feel pressured to live up to their parent's expectations, or to live up to their peers' set of ideas. Self-esteem is a large issue. Let's face it, kids today are a lot more grown up than we ever were. I can think back to hearing of so many of my friends talking about how they attempted suicide because they couldn't take the pressure.

The last thing kids need to hear, in my opinion, is that they are a failure. Now, if a teacher approaches them with a loving heart and explains that they are not passing, etc., and offers ways for to help them, then that's a lot more condusive than simply telling a child they failed. Most teachers these days aren't willing to do that. It's all about the approach and the age that's being taught.

Wow...I really hope I didn't go through too many rabbit holes.

10th Sep, 2005 - 1:15am / Post ID: #

Fail Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

Part of the problem is that people personalize failure, as in I am a failure. Failure in this case means a failure to learn the material. It is set apart from those passing grades A, B, C, and D. As big a problem as the use of failure is the us of C being an Average Grade. This implies that the students should be happy with such a grade since it is what most people get. C is not an average grade but a mark that you have learned the material at an average level. If one would review the distribution of a class you will rarely see that C is the average or the mode. Contradictory to that of course are those course graded on a cure and normalize themselves.

Wyldehorse

> TOPIC: Fail

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,