Baptism

Baptism - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 19th Mar, 2006 - 10:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
How important is it and do we all need it?
Post Date: 5th Sep, 2005 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

Baptism

Within the Bible there are a number of scriptures that focus on the need for baptism. Consider the following questions and how you would answer it based on your understanding of being baptized.

1. Who needs to be baptized?
2. Who can baptize someone else?
3. Are there any special requirements to be baptized?
4. Is this for humans only or do animals and things also need this?
5. What about the people who are not baptized such as those listed within the Old Testament?

Sponsored Links:
6th Sep, 2005 - 1:36pm / Post ID: #

Baptism

1. Everyone needs to be baptized. My religion believes is a requirement to enter to Heaven.

2. Only those who have the authority to do it, meaning, those who have the true Priesthood of God.

3. Yes, you need to have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and be willing to accept the covenants and the responsibilities that come with it, repent of your sins and forsake them.

4. Only for humans because they are the only ones who can demonstrate and exercise faith.

5. They have the opportunity to be preached the Gospel in Heaven and we can act as proxies and be baptized for them in the Temples of God. It does NOT mean we are forcing the baptism upon this people, it only means we are doing it and they have the chance to accept that baptism or not. It is merely their choice.

Post Date: 19th Nov, 2005 - 7:26am / Post ID: #

Baptism
A Friend

Baptism Revealed Bible The

Baptism has its roots in pagan purification rituals that precede christian baptism. https://home.earthlink.net/~pgwhacker/Chris...ns_baptism.html
It was used for the purification of the body, spirit, and even entire cities if the person was standing in for the city or temple.

As for pre-christian origins, they can be traced to before Jesus time and even before the time of John the Baptist as an initiation into a religious group. Most notably, the Essenes and various jewish sects practiced baptism as a means of bringing a believer in.

Christian baptism starts with the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist. As early as 57AD, in both the Bible and other ancient texts, the linking of believers to Christ through baptism can be seen.

Though many sects believe it to be required for entry to heaven other protestant sects believe it to be merely a symbol of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Coming out of the water symbolizes the new life and creation in Christ.

Post Date: 12th Mar, 2006 - 10:46pm / Post ID: #

Baptism
A Friend

Baptism

Speaking for Baptists, I believe that baptism is an outward demonstration of an inward change. Being baptised is not a requirement for getting into Heaven, but it is meant to bear witness to the world that you have been born again. It is symbolic of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

13th Mar, 2006 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Baptism

QUOTE (Shyster)
Being baptised is not a requirement for getting into Heaven

Where in the Bible does it say that?

With regards to the points:

1. Everyone needs to be baptized.
2. Someone who has the authority of God to do so.
3. Acceptance of Christ as savior and repentance
4. Only for God's children: the human race
5. They will get an opportunity. However, the dead sea scrolls does account for the people of Cumran (?) already doing baptisms.

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2006 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Baptism
A Friend

Baptism

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me [...] shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire." Matthew 3:11

This is where John the Baptist first talks about Jesus. John recognizes that what he is doing is trying to prepare the way for Jesus' ministry.

In this particluar passage, we see physical baptism (with water) compared to spiritual baptism (with the Holy Spirit). I interpret this passage as meaning the spiritual baptism is really the decision to be saved and letting Jesus into your heart. The physical baptism is just "icing on the cake."

Lastly, by saying a person has to be baptized to get into heaven, we are saying that you must do something to earn your place in eternity. If this was the case, Jesus would not have to have died on the cross for us. Jesus came to help us because we could not help ourselves.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Mar, 2006 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

Baptism

This is just my personal interpretation regarding requirements for Baptism, and therefore not intending to upset any other persons belief---

1. Everybody, I believe, needs to be Baptized, I believe it is a requirement of each and every one of us, and is imperative.

2. A male person acting on the behalf of God,or with good intent of heart ie-- Pastor, preacher, Elder, but must be non-profit making!

3. I suppose the special requirements would be a full understanding of why you are being Baptized would help!

4. The requirement would be only for human kind, as we are the ones accountable for our own actions, and also the example set in the Bible was of Baptizing humans only.

5. I personally believe, that people who have already died, ie- the people listed in the old testament times, will have their own opportunity to be Baptized, as will those people who have never even heard of Baptism before they die.

I suppose I should also point out, that I am referring to a full immersion in water Baptism, when I state the above, and as I have had many different inputs of different religions in my life, I suppose my views are probably not in- line with most other peoples beliefs,(probably collected a bit of belief from each) laugh.gif and are not meant to offend!

19th Mar, 2006 - 10:00pm / Post ID: #

Baptism The Bible Revealed

QUOTE (Shyster @ 19-Mar 06, 3:35 PM)
In this particluar passage, we see physical baptism (with water) compared to spiritual baptism (with the Holy Spirit). I interpret this passage as meaning the spiritual baptism is really the decision to be saved and letting Jesus into your heart. The physical baptism is just "icing on the cake."

I don't get that meaning AT ALL from the quoted scripture. The verse you quoted only says that John and Jesus had different types of authority. To take it anywhere else is to wrest the scriptures into meaning what you want them to mean.

QUOTE (Acts 2:37-38)
37 ¶ Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Here, we have Peter, AFTER the Resurrection, telling Jews that in order to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, they must first be baptized (the word used here implies immersion in water).

QUOTE (Titus 3:5)
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

This is definitely showing that baptism of water (washing of regeneration) is separate from the baptism of the Holy Ghost.

I certainly do believe that baptism is essential. It is a very clear commandment from God. Recognizing that baptism is necessary does not indicate that it is a work that saves us. It in no way implies that we are saved by our works. It only means that God has told us that in order for the Atonement to save us, we must meet certain qualifying factors - such as baptism.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Baptism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,