Oregon

Oregon - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st Jul, 2006 - 1:07am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (19) »
Oregon Culture
Post Date: 8th Sep, 2005 - 3:46am / Post ID: #

Oregon

Oregon

The capital of Oregon is Salem and the state was admitted on: February 14, 1859. Feel free to state what you know about the Culture & Traditions of this State.

Sponsored Links:
11th Sep, 2005 - 9:46am / Post ID: #

Oregon

I have always heard positive things about this State like it is peaceful, clean and friendly, but with this kind of news real estate in the area may drop:

Scientists find growing land bulge in Oregon

Reuters - A large, slow-growing volcanic bulge in Eastern Oregon is attracting the attention of seismologists who say that the rising ground could be the beginnings of a volcano or simply magma shifting underground.
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...onment_bulge_dc

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

3rd Mar, 2006 - 3:16am / Post ID: #

Oregon History & Civil Business Politics

JB, you almost gave me a heart attack when I read that, especially when the link no longer worked! But then I went on a hunt and found this link . It may actually be the same article in a different location, but it has the wonderful correction of the bulge occuring in western Oregon, not Eastern Oregon, which is where I'm from! j/k, actually my husband and I have family all over Oregon. But the article says it's not dangerous and is in fact located near 2 or 3 of the 18 most active volcanoes in the US, so its not like that threat isn't already there for those living in the area. whew! (and I can assure you that real estate is not dropping undecided.gif )

Hmm, Oregon Culture and Traditions... I don't really know where to start, or what about Oregon is particularly different from its surrounding states. We have cold beaches! I know a lot of little insignificant facts, such as we don't have sales tax, you can't pump your own gas, you have to have your masters to teach... Western Oregon is very green, lots of pine trees, and eastern is dryer, with some deserty spots and some quite beautiful greener more mountainy spots. There are a lot of windsurfers along the Columbia River Gorge, because of the high winds there; they're kind of fun to watch out your car window. The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is a fun hands-on museum of knowledge, and there's always lots of opportunity to learn about the Oregon Trail, or Lewis and Clark!

Are there any fellow-Oregonians out there that wanna help me out here? Or does anyone have any questions about Oregon culture - I would be more than happy to answer.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 0 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0%

3rd Mar, 2006 - 4:20am / Post ID: #

Oregon

Sorry about the fright, that post was since September of last year. I am glad that it is not so bad for you though. There are a couple of things I have wondered about Oregon:

1. Being so close to the French Side of Canada do a lot of Oregons speak French?

2. What are the feelings generally being so far to the West of everything? Do people feel like they compete with California for popularity?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

4th Mar, 2006 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

Oregon

Yay, questions! Ok, here are the answers that I have:

1. Oregon is actually quite far from the French side of Canada, as the vast majority of Canadians that speak french reside in Quebec, which is eastern Canada and closer to New England. Here is a (unfortunately sideways) map that I found on the internet that shows the percentage of French speakers in each province (is that what they are called?).

https://www.umaine.edu/canam/k-12outreach/F...p/mapfrhome.htm

Man, I wish Quebec was on our side of the continent! I wouldn't have to go to far to find French speakers, and like you said, maybe there would actually be a lot of people in Oregon that spoke, too.

2. Hmm, I'm not really sure. California is definitely dominant, but as for competing with it, We probably shouldn't even try! But there are things about Oregon that some people would likely prefer over California, and the less crowded, smaller population would be one of them. Also, milder temperatures than southern Cal. There is also no sales tax in Oregon! I'm not really sure about Cal, but they have sales taxes in Idaho and Washington, and it's nice to go back to oregon where you actually pay what the thing costs!

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 0 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0%

4th Mar, 2006 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

Oregon

Dimavo, thanks for correcting my ignorance about the vicinity, for some reason I thought there would be French speakers on that side. Anyhow, in the case of Oregon having no sales tax I have to wonder in what other ways is revenue collected? Is it that income tax and corporate tax is higher than most places?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Mar, 2006 - 5:02am / Post ID: #

Oregon

Twenty-or-so years ago when I traveled through Oregon, I remember seeing wild berries growing over the highway median -- is that still true? I always thought that was fascinating! I've only driven through, never stayed or lived in Oregon, although I have family in Washington and lived there once or twice very briefly. It's a great area if you can handle the rain -- nice and green.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

1st Jul, 2006 - 1:07am / Post ID: #

Oregon Politics Business Civil & History

Oregon is my annual vacation spot. I go to visit my mom, who lives in Astoria, where the Columbia River flows into the Pacific. Astoria is the oldest American settlement west of the Rockies. A truly remarkable spot, where words and pictures can't convey the beauty. Gigantic trees which bridge the road and green as far as you can see make the area and beaches different, and in my opinion, much more beautiful than California beaches. I haven't seen berries growing over the highway median but know that Oregon grows an exclusive berry called a Marionberry. These are delicious little blackberries named after Marion County, where they were founded in Oregon. A perfect balance of tart and sweet flavors make it very good.

Is it that income tax and corporate tax is higher than most places?
I believe the income tax is higher than most other states, to make up for having no sales tax. Along the border of Washington, at least in the area I've visited, Oregonians who show their driver license don't have to pay sales tax in Washington. This helps the Washington businesses to compete. I'm not sure if the businesses themselves pay it or if they get a tax break from the Washington State government.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 7 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.7%

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (19) »

> TOPIC: Oregon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,