David & Goliath

David Goliath - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 26th Mar, 2006 - 9:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd Oct, 2005 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

David & Goliath

David Already Dealt With Wolves

David and Goliath is probably one of the most popular stories in the Old Testament. Recently, a reading of the story located in 1 Samuel 17 gave me something to think about. David, a small and possibly timid young man was able to take on Goliath because he was prepared. His preparation came in the form of fighting off wolves using the same method (his sling) he used to kill the giant. This impressed me because often we do not think about what enabled David to feel that he could take on Goliath in the first place - preparation was the key.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Nov, 2005 - 6:35am / Post ID: #

David & Goliath
A Friend

Goliath and David

While I see that David had preparation by fighting the Lion and the Bear, I disagree that this was key to his battle. In both fights with the lion and bear he ended up fighting hand to hand. He grabbed the lion by its hair and struck it, then it died. Fighting a man three times his size and trained in the art of war, should have been over whelming even for someone with his experience. The pressure should have gotten to him.

I think the key to this battle was his supreme confidence. He had confidence in himself, in his skill, yes, but more than that. David has every confidence that he was going to win because he wasn't the one fighting. He says over and over again that G-d is going to give him the battle. In fact, he goes so far as to tell the ending, but fails to know how he will get there. By simply stating that he will cut off his head, he knows that before the fight is done, he will have killed or incapacitated Goliath so that he may cut off his head. He of course was right.

In the course of this great epic story, David and the storyteller make sure to state the point that it wasn't Davids kill. David was small and unpracticed in warfare, there was no hope for his victory. But G-d came through and fought the battle for him. The key to this victory was absolute unwavering faith in G-d. David knew that, as did the storyteller, as did the Jews today. At least thats my opinion on it!

15th Nov, 2005 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

David & Goliath Revealed Bible The

I understand your point Konquererz. I should have elaborated more in my opening text and for that I apologize as I did not mean to focus on the physical preparation solely.

If we really are to consider what caused David to win over Goliath it would first be that he was worthy (the Spirit of God was with him, not to mention he was also anointed) and secondly he had sound faith in God. Lastly, he had the skill, which I mentioned above and the point I was trying to make with it is that David already had the experience of fighting beasts and so goliath was just another beast to be slain. Many times people feel that the first two is all they need and they do not prepare. One cannot merely have faith and move forward, there is also the element of preparation - this is key since even in being worthy and making self ready for the gift of Faith requires preparation in itself.

26th Mar, 2006 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

Goliath and David

David had three things in his favor. He had previously gained the experience of standing his ground and fighting when to lose would mean his death. Another was a skill born of long practice while enduring the boredom of herding sheep. He could put a stone exactly where he wanted it every time. And he was born with the third skill. He was born a leader.

Mousetrails

> TOPIC: David & Goliath

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,