Catholic Saints

Catholic Saints - Studies of Catholicism - Posted: 11th Nov, 2005 - 5:37am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Catholic Saints Do you know the methods and standards for saying who should be a Catholic Saint and who should not? New ones and ones you think should be Catholic Saints are Discussed in this Thread.
Post Date: 4th Apr, 2005 - 11:52pm / Post ID: #

Catholic Saints

The rigors of making someone a 'saint' in the Catholic Church are very high including the person to be made a saint performing miracles both before and after death. Is there someone that is not a saint, but that you think should be?

To see a list of existing Saints:
https://www.catholic.org/saints/stindex.php

Process to choose saints:

Canonization, the process the Church uses to name a saint, has only been used since the tenth century...

In 1983, Pope John Paul II made sweeping changes in the canonization procedure. The process begins after the death of a Catholic whom people regard as holy. Often, the process starts many years after death in order give perspective on the candidate. The local bishop investigates the candidate's life and writings for heroic virtue (or martyrdom) and orthodoxy of doctrine. Then a panel of theologians at the Vatican evaluates the candidate. After approval by the panel and cardinals of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, the pope proclaims the candidate "venerable."

The next step, beatification, requires evidence of one miracle (except in the case of martyrs)...

Only after one more miracle will the pope canonize the saint (this includes martyrs as well)...
Ref. https://www.catholic.org/saints/faq.php

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Apr, 2005 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

Catholic Saints
A Friend

Saints Catholic

Why is it different in the case of Martyrs? Is the idea of being murdered for the cause of christ or the church good enough in itself, at least in some cases, for someone to gain saint hood? What I don't understand is how one is not necessarily required to perform a miracle before death if they are a martyr, but it appears as if they are required after their death to perform one more miracle. What is the purpose for this?

5th Apr, 2005 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

Catholic Saints Catholicism Studies

I don't know if I could make such a statement as to who should be a Saint, because I haven't followed any historic Catholics closely enough to make that claim. Former Pope John Paul II seems to have a good chance of becoming a Saint, as defined by the Catholic church. Abcnews.com had a pretty good write-up on why and here is a link to the article. What are your thoughts on JPII becoming a Saint?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Pope/story?id=635049&page=1

5th Apr, 2005 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Saints Catholic

Since I have no connection at all to the Catholic church, I am probably not a good person to make such a judgement. I expect that he will seriously be considered, because of his tremendous influence on worldwide spirituality and for his incredible humility.

5th Apr, 2005 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

Saints Catholic

What I don't understand is how one is not necessarily required to perform a miracle before death if they are a martyr, but it appears as if they are required after their death to perform one more miracle. What is the purpose for this?

I believe I have a reasonable explanation for this.

Many people don't really understand what it means to be a Saint. This may lead to some misunderstanding of how and why one person may be identified as such. It is my understanding that in the eyes of the Catholic Church naming someone as a saint really only means it is being stated beyond any doubt that this person is in heaven. We all think that is where we are going, but the Catholic Church will say for some people that they are definately there and there already. Just because you aren't labeled as a Saint doesn't mean you aren't in heaven, but until someone else gets there to check on you, it is possible you are not.

Why does it matter? Well, Catholics pray to Saints. Not to be confused with worshiping them. It was explained to me thus...if you have a friend who knows someone with the power to help you, wouldn't you ask your friend to intervene for you? So it is with praying to Saints. If you know this Saint is in heaven, they can intervene for you with God. When you pray to them, that is what you are asking them to do.

So, there are some signs they look for to give them enough information that they can say this person is definately in heaven. Miracles are one sign. Perhaps martydom is accepted as another proof because scripture seems to point in that direction.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.  Luke 9:24

Matthew 16:25, Mark 8:35 and Luke 17:33, all say very similar things. So, when you are martyed you have lost your life for His sake. This could be why it is an indication that you are now in heaven.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

13th May, 2005 - 7:46pm / Post ID: #

Catholic Saints

From FoxNews.com

Pope Nixes Sainthood Waiting Period for John Paul

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156418,00.html

ROME - Pope Benedict XVI said Friday he had begun the process for the sainthood of Pope John Paul II, overriding the usual five-year waiting period following the death of a possible candidate.

The article goes on to say that a lengthy investigation may still be needed to find a miracle that can be attributed to the late Pope John Paul II. I wonder if the next exemption that will be allowed is the absence of a miracle? It seems that former Popes, including John Paul II, did make adjustments to the rules to canonize others.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Oct, 2005 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

Catholic Saints

Catholic Saints

The Catholic church has specific methods for giving the title of 'Saint' to those who have departed. Are their people that you think should be Saints that are not?

BENEDICT XVI NAMES FIRST SAINTS OF HIS PAPACY

Pope Benedict XVI presided over the first canonization ceremony of his papacy on Sunday, proclaiming five new saints.
Ref. Source

Catholic Saints
Catholic Saints (Hover)

11th Nov, 2005 - 5:37am / Post ID: #

Catholic Saints Studies Catholicism

I have a different concept of sainthood, but I am surprised about some names that have taken long to get in there. I also wonder about the consistency in standards for making someone a saint, is it just based on the view of the Pope of the time?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Catholic Saints

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,