Life Simplified To Numbers.

Life Simplified Numbers - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 23rd Jun, 2007 - 12:21am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd Jun, 2007 - 9:27am / Post ID: #

Life Simplified To Numbers.

An interesting debate has enveloped and ate up a weekend around the house this week. Before I put my opinions on the board I would like to know how others feel as our conversation is split down the middle two people for it two people against it.

That being said.

1. Where you better at math and science or english and history ?
2. Can life be simplified to numbers or equations?
A. Is this good or bad?
B. Does this stance make you open or close minded?
3. Is the chaos factor a variable?
4. Do you believe in fate, a soul mate, or free will?

Reconcile Edited: Kozak on 22nd Jun, 2007 - 9:38am

Sponsored Links:
23rd Jun, 2007 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Numbers Simplified Life

Wow! a four tiered question with sub-questions.

Wish I'd been there that weekend, Kozak. You and your friends sound like my kind of people.

But enough! Here are my answers!

1) English and history

2) This one is too general. If I was of an astrological bent, I'd have to say yes, but I'm not. The zodiac was dreamed up by people of a distant age who understood as much about the stars as we do about.... erm... things we don't know about... yet!

If I was of an emotional or religious bent, I'd say no, because such a belief would deny faith, and religions exist on the precept of Faith.

If I was of a mathematical bent, I might say yes, but I'd have to examine the equations first, and I don't know if it's possible to quantify the Human brain.

If I was of an analytical bent (oh, wait a minute... I am) my answer would be something like... "insufficient data".

If I was of a philosophical bent (again, I am), I'd probaly have to answer your question with a question (many questions), before I could formulate an opinion.

Sub question A) Unanswerable unless question 2 is answered. However, this all relates to personal and common beliefs and the laws inherent of various societies. We have covered this subject in a different post.

Sub question B) Open minded

3) Hell, yeah! I think it was Isaac Asimov who coined the term, "psychohistory". (Isaac Asimov was not just a writer of science fiction novels.... he was also a very intelligent man who used his doctorates in psychology, philosophy, and general science to present his ideas in a way that might be acceptable to the common man/ woman). Psychohistory is the study of large groups of people, all acting under the precept of mass destiny... that is, how people will react to a situation, not how personalities will react. An example of this can be seen in a mob mentality.
The chaos factor becomes prevalent with a very strong personality, one which can influence the mob; ie, should we lynch the evil bugger, or should we let the law run its course? The chaos factor appears with an individual who can influence events outside the common train of thought.

4) This question is actually three questions, and I'll answer in reverse order:

a) Free will: yes, though my actions and decisions are influenced by the laws of society.

b) Soul mate: yes, though the term assumes a religious affiliation. I prefer to think of that 'special person' as being "most compatible". This does not mean I'm not a romantic at heart. If 'soul mate' fits the description, then I'm all for it!

c) Fate: This is a biggie, and unfortunately, I've run out of time to go into a lengthy discussion on this. I have to clean my apartment!

Good post, Kozak!

> TOPIC: Life Simplified To Numbers.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,