Pirates & Ship Weapons - Page 2 of 26

Somali 'pirates' taken to - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 16th Apr, 2008 - 11:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (26) »
Somali Pirates
Fighting piracy off Somalia against modern-day pirates.
7th Apr, 2008 - 12:04am / Post ID: #

Pirates & Ship Weapons - Page 2

QUOTE (Geek @ 6-Apr 08, 6:13 PM)
I don't get you. The ship wasn't military was it, so why shouldn't they avoid hostile waters?

That's the whole point I'm trying to make.

These pirates are terrorising waterway users by attacking, and targeting them. If people simply avoid the waterways, and steer clear of "pirate hot zones" then they are allowing these criminals to domineer sections of the sea.

In effect by just avoiding them and keeping out of the way, you are allowing them to get the upper hand. I'm not suggesting the cruise ship should fight back or tempt the pirates, I'm just saying it shouldn't be forced to avoid the coast lines just because a group of common criminals think that they are outside of the law.

Sponsored Links:
7th Apr, 2008 - 12:28am / Post ID: #

Weapons Ship and Pirates

How does a civilian vessel allow anything. Unless they are armed and prepared to scare the hell out of their passengers in order to attack pirates then they stay clear. It takes a military operation to get these pirates out of the water not a yatch cruising.

7th Apr, 2008 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Pirates & Ship Weapons Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Somalia is a dread place, not only are they like savages on land but they are pirates at sea too. Why hasn't the UN done something significant here?

7th Apr, 2008 - 10:08am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Weapons Ship and Pirates

There are ships out there from various Navies. Perhaps something a little more committed needs to happen.

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2008 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Pirates & Ship Weapons
A Friend

Weapons Ship and Pirates

I think for now the civilian ships should avoid the waters off Somalia. If they want to go through waters inhabited by pirates it should be at their own risk. If shipping companies want the waters cleaned then maybe a few countries can clean the waters of hostile people. A few war ships will take care of modern pirates.

7th Apr, 2008 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

Pirates & Ship Weapons

QUOTE (KNtoran @ 7-Apr 08, 12:19 PM)
A few war ships will take care of modern pirates.

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple. In theory, strategically placing warships around pirate-infiltrated zones will scare away the pirates, and demonstrate the alertness of international governments, and the capabilities of their respective forces.

In practice however everything is a little more complicated. Firstly there is the issue of catching the pirates. As one of the above articles (the one about the search for a mothership) shows, it can be tricky work trying to locate pirate ships, as their movements generally go unmonitored. Secondly, (unfortunately) pirates no longer fly the Jolly Rodger (they never actually did) and make a huge kurfuffle everytime they are around, in fact they are discreet, well disguised, and very well practiced at hiding, and disguising their intentions. To the untrained eye they will seem like fishermen, tourists, transporters, and just about any other sea trade they can think of. Any possible Naval effort to control the waters would require a lot of time, a lot of patience, a lot of man-power, a lot of resources, and a whole load of strategic planning.

Not to mention the issue of floating around the waters of other countries, in order for that to happen there would need to be international discussions, and agreement between the respective governments.

That's not to say however that Navies can't and won't do anything about the situation. Navies are very keen on combatting piracy, and are constantly scouring the aters, trying to do just that, often with great success.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Apr, 2008 - 12:35am / Post ID: #

Pirates & Ship Weapons - Page 2

The best thing to do in my mind is to have civilian vessels outfitted with the latest deterrent equipment as the first Post in this Thread suggested. Also, you could have some kind of unit using a disguised vessel for the same purpose. In the end I do not think anyone cares enough about Somalia to do either. Just avoid it and live safely - enter at your own risk.

Post Date: 16th Apr, 2008 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Pirates & Ship Weapons Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

Somali 'pirates' taken to Paris

Six Somalis suspected of taking a French luxury yacht's crew hostage arrive in Paris, judicial sources say.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7349876.stm

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (26) »

> TOPIC: Pirates & Ship Weapons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,