Which Event Increases Prices

Which Event Increases Prices - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 25th Nov, 2005 - 6:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

?
Poll: In your opinion of the following events which one drives up prices the most?
  High oil prices       20.00%
  Terrorism abroad       0.00%
  Terrorism at home       20.00%
  Emergency personnel striking       0.00%
  Government       20.00%
  Nature related catastrophes       40.00%
Total Votes: 5
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Post Date: 8th Jul, 2005 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Humans often attribute their ability to spend or earn money based on events. Of the above poll which one influences your pocket the most?

Sponsored Links:
8th Jul, 2005 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

Prices Increases Event Which

I would say all of those factors. I think it depends the country
where you live. Here in Argentina high oil prices and government are
the main factors. For instance, sometime ago the President here
raised the minimum wage but immediately the food prices went up.
It was all but an illusion as usual.

8th Jul, 2005 - 7:19pm / Post ID: #

Which Event Increases Prices Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I don't think it is any of those things. Although they all have an impact, I believe prices go up when demand is greater than supply.

So, when wages go up, demand for products also go up which is why higher minimum wage will cause inflation. When oil prices rise, that causes certain prices to rise, but if people stopped buying the things that went up in price then those prices would come down.

Governments play a role because they can take some of our money through taxes or they can tighten the cost of loans which means higher interest rates, etc., but still I think it is all a matter of simple economics. When demand is high and supply is low, prices will be high. When demand is low and supply is high, prices will be low.

Look what happens every year around Christmas. New video games or other popular toys are released, but their is always a shortage. Why? Because the manufacturer wants to create higher prices. So, people will pay more because they just really want this new thing. In time, those who are willing to pay high prices all have acquired this item. Then prices come down and others can also buy.

So, to me, it is all supply and demand.

8th Jul, 2005 - 8:27pm / Post ID: #

I don't think it is any of those things. Although they all have an impact, I believe prices go up when demand is greater than supply.

That is true in all circumstances, but what influences supply and demand is based on events like those listed in the poll, hence the question Neo put is about which of those events influences your pocket.

For me it is definitely 'Terrorism at Home' (at the time we were in the US). When Sept 11th happened there was a major slow down in my business and a lot of other things that would go off topic if I listed them here.

Post Date: 25th Nov, 2005 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Living in Florida, I had to vote for natural disasters. Our prices tend to soar during Hurricane season. The deal with hurricanes is that it's not a gradual increase. Everything shoots up quickly.

25th Nov, 2005 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

I had to vote for Nature related events myself. I life in Texas but work in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma also, and after our two back to back hurricanes that hit the gulf only weeks apart, we still have yet to see the relief of prices. Buying lumber down here, be it a supply and demand factor by all means, but the destruction was so great prices have over doubled almost everywhere.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Which Event Increases Prices

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,