Use it and take it back?

Use Back - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 25th Dec, 2003 - 8:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
21st Aug, 2003 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

Use it and take it back?

Purchase Returns

Not available elsewhere as far as I know, the US has a unique system of allowing customers to try and item out at their home and then bringing it back to the store for a full refund if they do not like the item or if it does not work properly. Most consumers think this is great because it protects them from shady buys and deals, BUT what about the seller? Sometimes consumers purchase an item knowing fully well that they are going to bring it back, they just want to get use of the item for a short period for the fun of it. I think this is sad. What do you think? Is this something you would do? Have you ever bought something before and took it back because of a genuine concern? Did they refuse to give your money back?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Aug, 2003 - 3:59am / Post ID: #

Use it and take it back?
A Friend

back take it Use

What do you think? Is this something you would do? Have you ever bought something before and took it back because of a genuine concern? Did they refuse to give your money back?

I haven't done any of that before.  But I have taken computer hardware back that didn't work properly.  But I exchanged it for another one, I did not try to get a refund on it.  Plus, I know that places like Walmart, they will not give you a refund if you don't have the receipt, they will let you exchange it or give you store credit.  They had a big problem with people buying things and then returning them to get a refund.  I think it drives the prices up, because the retail stores can't always re-sell the product.  They have to return it to the warehouse and then to the manufacturer to get credit for it.  I think that it is wrong for people to do that.  

21st Aug, 2003 - 6:00am / Post ID: #

Use it and take it back? History & Civil Business Politics

well..ive had some concerns about this for some time. i know here in trinidad, although there is a consumers rights act, which prohibits stores from posting notices such as "no refund or exchange", stores do not follow this act. Now i understand that there are those who take advantage of the law in North America, however, i  believe that in Trinidad, people dont demand their rights as they ought to. Ive come across a situation where i had to return a present i purchased for a friend to a clothing store, just for a different SIZE and the manager gave me problems. Now as far as im concerned, if i pay money for something and i need it exchanged..i have every right to do so. On the other hand, in terms of refunds, in my opinion, a refund should only be given i something is substantially wrong with the merchandise, such as with your computer hardware miss shady. However, for other consumer items, such as clothing etc, i think it is up to the consumer and seller to ensure that the purchase is in good shape so as to avoid any future problems.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 7 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.7%

Post Date: 21st Aug, 2003 - 2:40pm / Post ID: #

Use it and take it back?
A Friend

back take it Use

However, for other consumer items, such as clothing etc, i think it is up to the consumer and seller to ensure that the purchase is in good shape so as to avoid any future problems.

I agree, with you.  As for returning computer hardware, they are real particular with the returns too.  It has to be under their store policy (so many days after purchase, like in the policy of Walmart, they offer a 90 return, before they tell you that it has to send to be sent back to the manufacturer).  But as far as like computer software and video games for pc, PSone, and games along that line, they do not accept them for a refund or an exchange.  Many people just buy the computer software and games, load it on their pc and then return it to the store and get a refund.  Same thing with the video games.  I think that they shouldn't allow refunds or exchanges for pc software or video games, unless the package is unopened.  Now as far as other items, they should offer a refund or exchange for like clothes, shoes and stuff like that.

21st Aug, 2003 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

back take it Use

I  believe that in Trinidad, people dont demand their rights as they ought to

Oh yeah, somebody agrees with me for once! Please check the Trinidad and Tobago board also, we have great hot topics there! I think it's very sad when people abuse the system of buying and returning....*shaking head* because the owners lose a lot of money and we should be considerate to each other. I only returned things that it didn't work properly or in clothes it was too big or too small.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 25th Dec, 2003 - 4:43am / Post ID: #

Use it and take it back?
A Friend

Use it and take it back?

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 21-Aug 03, 7:18 AM)
I think it's very sad when people abuse the system of buying and returning....*shaking head* because the owners lose a lot of money ...

The stores don't lose as much money as you think. I worked at a True Value Hardware Store for 8 years. We had certain items that were under what we called Policy A; which meant that if the customer returned it and said that it was broken, defective, or didn't work, then we gave them their money back, or replaced it. Then we would take the item into the back room, verify that it really was broken, then we would stomp the beejeebee's our of it and toss it in the dumpster.

We would then write down the IBM or SKU number of the item. At the end of the year, all of those numbers go to TruServe headquarters and they would do the leg work of getting the money back for their member stores.

Policy A were manufacturers that trusted TruServe and their member owners to not cheat them. If a lot of items came back defective, then the manufacturer might ask that they be sent in so that they could see what was up so they could fix it at the factory. Case in point was Garretty Flashlights. They wouldn't work, come to find out they weren't installed with the metal strip inside to connect the batteries to the bulb. Garretty took back the flashlights and we ( our little hardware store) got double the amount back ~ no extra charge.

If the item wasn't broken, then we would repackage it up, and put it back on the shelf. OR say it was a portable heater. You plug it in and < < nothing, it does not work> > > I took it home rather than cut the cord into 4 pieces and run over it with the heister. Took it apart, and discovered that the cord was not connected to the motor. Once I did that, it worked. The owner of the hardware store allowed the employees to take the "broken" Policy A's home and if they could get them to work, then that was great. Kept her dumpster from filling up.

I've known women who buy expensive gowns from Nordstrom's, or Meir & Frank with the full intent of wearing them to one function and then returning them for a full credit. I think that the stores should charge a "Restocking Fee" just like some of the hardware stores and other specialty stores do. They deduct a minimum of 25% and up to 40% to Restock it. When it comes to Big Ticket items ($200 and upwards) it makes the purchaser think twice about it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Dec, 2003 - 3:00pm / Post ID: #

Use it take back

I've seen this too, with women especially, buying something very expensive just to use it once and then return it. Ridiculous! I'm all for store credit only or a restocking fee. This would help keep *my* prices down.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

25th Dec, 2003 - 8:24pm / Post ID: #

Use it take back Politics Business Civil & History

I've known women who buy expensive gowns from Nordstrom's, or Meir & Frank with the full intent of wearing them to one function and then returning them for a full credit.

Sickening!!! no more honesty in this world *shaking head* Some people in some countries cannot appreciate the advantages they have! Very sad...

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Use it and take it back?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,