Gay Mormon?

Gay Mormon - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Nov, 2005 - 4:22am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (8) »

?
Poll: Can you be both Mormon and Gay (homosexual)?
  Yes       50.00%
  No       50.00%
Total Votes: 6
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
25th Nov, 2005 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon?

Gay Mormon

Today, I saw a glimpse of Survivor where the winner of immunity declared himself a Gay Mormon? Now, I know there are sites out there that preach this concept, but is there really such a thing? Can a Member really be Gay and a member of the Church? For me they can... yes, as shocking as that sounds - they can. The question herein lies with the physical aspects of their homosexual lives. However, for me this a contradiction since the idea of being gay is sexual. What are your views?

Sponsored Links:
25th Nov, 2005 - 3:22am / Post ID: #

Mormon Gay

It's apparent that there are homosexuals in all walks of life. How someone can reconcile that particular persuasion with LDS doctrine is beyond me. We have a new accountant at our firm who is flamboyantly "gay" but I see that he also wears garments. To me, also JB, that seems a complete contradiction.

However, if there is the possbility of reform for that person, and repentance etc., then they are where they need to be (at church). So long as they are not seeking out homosexual relationships and maintaining their chastity, just as any other LDS member should be, then I suppose we as their brothers and sisters are meant to help them in their walk with Christ.

25th Nov, 2005 - 3:28am / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon? Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (FarSeer)
So long as they are not seeking out homosexual relationships

Well, for me that is the point. We are all sinners, but openly declaring oneself as gay is like saying that I only am interested in long term and or emotional relationships with men. The other point is being 'wrong' and wanting to be accepted as right - I believe that is the part that concerns me, and to be honest I am glad I no longer have such issues to deal with anymore.

25th Nov, 2005 - 4:01pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Gay

After I posted here last night, I saw that particular Survivor episode where the man calls himself a "gay Mormon." Noting that this particular fellow also drinks coffee and alcohol, and in the beginning of the show stated that he is currently in a homosexual relationship, this tells me that he may have once been a practicing Mormon but obviously is no longer. To call himself a "gay Mormon" is misleading; perhaps "gay EX-Mormon" would be more correct.

The other point is being 'wrong' and wanting to be accepted as right
True, this is contradictory, but goes along with all of the current societal issues of "gay pride," same sex marriages, openly "gay" ecclesiastic leaders, and health benefits extending to "domestic partners" in the law. It's insidious and infiltrates "normal" society with some very wrong principles, all the while demanding to be recognized as right.

25th Nov, 2005 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Gay

We are all sinners, but openly declaring oneself as gay is like saying that I only am interested in long term and or emotional relationships with men.

I don't agree with this statement 100%. If a man says that he is gay and a mormon (a general example, NOT the guy in Survivor because of what Farseer explained before), what he is actually saying is that he feels attracted to people from his same sex.

He is notsaying he is looking for a relationship or is interested in one. He is just mentioning what he feels attracted to. In the Church as shocking as may sound, there many "gay" LDS members and I think you could perfectly be a "gay mormon". There are people who "fight" these tendencies for years, some of them all their lives and I have met a couple of them in the past where people push them to get married or pressure them why they are not married yet and the person stays single until they die.

Some of them are members of the Church in great standing who pay their tithing, fulfill their callings and gave their time and love to the sick and the afflicted...they just have these tendencies they know they have to fight against, yet it is not so easy to fight them if you have grown up with them since you were little.

There are many great "gay" LDS members out there who I personally admire for their strenght to fight against these tendencies and try hard to keep in the right track, even if that means to put away their own wishes and desires to have their own families.

25th Nov, 2005 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon?

LDS expressed pretty much what I believe. Being gay is simply an indication of how your sexual preference is. If you prefer members of your own sex, you are gay. I believe this is true regardless of whether or not you choose to actually have sex with them. It is not a sin to be gay. It is not against Church policy to be gay. It is a sin to have sex with a member of your own sex. This is also against Church policy.

Now, in most cases, people who want to live the Gospel will probably not be openly gay or flamboyant about it, but I don't see why they shouldn't be. I mean, if they are gay, I believe they were born that way. I believe it is something they are expected to battle. One of their life's challenges, but as far as hiding it, I don't see why they should. I realize many within the Church wouldn't agree with me, but really I don't see why they need to keep that secret as long as they are open about the fact that they are choosing to live a celebate life.

Should they instead get married, have children and then leave that woman and the children later in life when they decide they just can't fight it any more? I know of more than one case where this has happened.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Nov, 2005 - 1:37am / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
what he is actually saying is that he feels attracted to people from his same sex.

Okay, so we are going down the road of defining what being 'Gay' means and we are not talking about 'happiness' or 'joy'. Didn't we cover this in another thread already? My argument is that what does 'feels attracted' mean? If I like to hang out more with men than I do with women does that make me Gay? No, it does not, the difference as I said before has to do with the element of being 'turned on' or sexual attraction. Now the thread is thus: is there such a thing as 'Gay Mormon'? I could ask this another way... is there such a thing as 'Masturbating Mormon' or 'Lustful Mormon'? My point is why the need to differentiate his sexual interests? Why the need to give an adjective to the whole affair?

26th Nov, 2005 - 4:22am / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies

From my admittedly limited experience, when people identify themselves primarily as "gay" or "lesbian", then they are embracing the lifestyle and basic agenda that goes along with the identification.

For example, a friend of mine, with whom I went to High School many years ago, decided that he was/is a "Gay Mormon". He gave up his family and marriage in order to embrace his sexuality. Then he decided that he needed to lecture the church leadership about how God made him the way he is, and the Church should change to meet his "needs", as well as others'.

There is, in my opinion, a huge difference between someone who thinks he might be a homosexual, experiencing certain urges and desires, and one who has decided that he is "gay", and makes that his identifying characteristic.

So, when someone proclaims that he is a "Gay Mormon", it seems to me that he is definitely out of order with the Church.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Gay Mormon?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,