Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 30th Apr, 2011 - 3:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
28th Nov, 2005 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

Multiple Sclerosis

This is the killer disease that my sister suffers from.

From the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

Diagnosis: The Basic Facts
MS is a disease of the central nervous system. The central nervous system consists of the brain, spinal cord, and the optic nerves. Surrounding and protecting the nerve fibers (or axons) of the central nervous system is a fatty tissue called myelin, which helps nerve fibers conduct electrical impulses.

In MS, myelin is lost in multiple areas, leaving scar tissue called sclerosis. These damaged areas are also known as plaques or lesions. Sometimes the underlying nerve fiber (or axon) is also damaged or broken.

When myelin or the nerve fiber is destroyed or damaged, the ability of the nerves to conduct electrical impulses to and from the brain is disrupted, and this produces the various symptoms of MS.

MS is not contagious. No one can catch MS from another person.

Sponsored Links:
5th Dec, 2005 - 6:31pm / Post ID: #

Sclerosis Multiple

Thanks for providing this information. I honestly didn't know even a fraction of the information to have explained this if someone had ask me. Thank you for spending the time to share your research.

Post Date: 11th Dec, 2007 - 1:04pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Multiple Sclerosis Health & Special Psychology

Antibiotics 'could help slow MS'

Adding antibiotics to standard drug therapy may slow down the progress of multiple sclerosis, research suggests.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7136088.stm

11th Dec, 2007 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

Sclerosis Multiple

That is great news to reduce damage by 25% is a big jump forward. I hope soon they find something that can halt it in its tracks.

Post Date: 16th Jun, 2008 - 12:22pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sclerosis Multiple

Yoga helps people with multiple sclerosis

PROVO - Left foot planted firmly on the yoga mat, Maegan Martin slowly presses her right heel to her inner thigh, reaching her arms up over her head and bringing them to rest in prayer position in front of her chest. She doesn't wriggle as she holds the tree pose. She doesn't sway. No one would ever guess, watching Martin do yoga, that she can't stand up without assistance and has to use a cane for balance as she walks.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700235087,00.html

16th Jun, 2008 - 1:11pm / Post ID: #

Multiple Sclerosis

QUOTE (desertnews)

"Her body's learned to adjust," Judd said. "Every week we modify the poses a little as she gets stronger."

This is key in fighting MS keep the body strong! I am not surprised that yoga is helping her as it teaches one to focus the bodies energies not just to control the muscles but to rid the body of negative energy as well as build positive.

It is great also as it stretches and strengthens the muscles with out the need for high level of coordination unlike weight lifting or such activities.

I would think tia chi and Qi gong would have a similar effect also.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Apr, 2011 - 5:18am / Post ID: #

Multiple Sclerosis

After all these years wondering what to do with how I feel about my sister's death from MS, I've finally decided to get involved. I'm going to join in the National MS Society awareness and fund raising efforts. Saturday I will participate in the Walk MS 5k in Southwest Riverside! I've raised $500, which seems like a tiny amount but every little bit helps. I'm really excited to at least feel like I'm doing something, however small it may be.

There have been some exciting breakthroughs in the research in the past couple of years. I would like to be a part of it, to say that I at least tried to do something to help someone.

Go Team Ju-Ju!
Source 2

30th Apr, 2011 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

Multiple Sclerosis Psychology Special & Health

Great work Farseer! Is it me or I see more people being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis? Young folks too...I wonder if there is something causing this?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Multiple Sclerosis

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,