Warlock
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  1 2 
Also known as GM.
Post Date: 30th Nov, 2005 - 2:15am / Post ID: #

Are You A Game Master?

Are You A Game Master?

If you are the GM of an RPG or past RPG please answer / share your views on the following:
1. How long have you been GMing?
2. What motivated you to be a GM?
3. How did you 'learn' to be a GM? Did anyone give you one on one help?
4. How do you players rate your GMing skills?
5. Would you rather be a player?

Sponsored Links:
9th Dec, 2005 - 1:01am / Post ID: #

Master Game You Are

1. I would say about 20+ years
2. I have always had an interest in creating 'things' that others can use, maybe that is why I am into web design as well and able to utilize those skills to continue GMing here.
3. Observing really good GMs do their thing. In the initial stages the Dungeons & Dragons Guides was my teacher.
4. Some say they are really detailed and emotional, but my scenarios tend to be tough.
5. No, I always prefer to be a GM unless the GM is also highly skilled, then I won't mind being a player.

21st Jan, 2006 - 3:00am / Post ID: #

Are You A Game Master? Reviews RPG & Card Board

If you are the GM of an RPG or past RPG please answer / share your views on the following:
5. Would you rather be a player

1. I don't GM for a long time bases but to answer the question I have been GMing since I was 16.
2. What motivated me was that I could manipulate some of the rules and create my own universe with set rules and what ones can be altered.
3. I learned to be a GM through books and experience as well as being taught by my mom and some friends of mine who have GMed for quite some time.
4. I am still quite inexperienced because some players don't see my point of view or have my imagination or haven't had a chance to play.
5. I would rather be a player than a GM because it takes a lot of effort and time to make a solitary universe and a lot don't appreciate the effort of it.

Post Date: 23rd Feb, 2006 - 9:25pm / Post ID: #

Are You A Game Master?
A Friend

Master Game You Are

1) I have now been Gming for nearly 2 years.
2) A friend bought the exalt core book; handed it to me and said we would like you to run the game. I had never played an rpg before, but the concept interested me and I had finished reading the book that night. I ran the first game of many 2 days later.
3) It sort of just came to me. After the first game I never tried to plan out an adventure. ( I would design the occasional city or dungeon of course, but I always allowed my friends free reign.)
4) Well they kept coming back....even when I didn't want them too. I was beginning to feel like no one enjoyed the game so I stopped scheduling gatherings for about a month, and every time they would see me they would ask "why aren't we playing any more and when is the next game going to be." It was good for my ego so I started running games again. My friends tell me that my worlds realistic and entertaining, and that I am fair Gm. Perhaps most importantly that their actions affected the world in very real and important ways. The only thing any of them ever complain about is that I make them have detailed character histories. I end up helping most of my friends out with this. Perhaps some of my popularity comes from the fact that I don't like letting players die. Its such a hassle to make new ones. You have to do something stupid or just be unbelievable unlucky to die with me.
5) I enjoy being the the Gm, because it gives me the chance to play any type of character I want at any given time. I do enjoy playing and seeing my characters strengths and flaws grow. I dislike being a player when the Gm has a linear story that makes no allowances for free will, or is so preoccupied with the rules that the game becomes more of a math problem than anything else. While my writing isn't very good(I have had very little practice), I am actually rather articulate in person and I improvise well.

Reconcile Edited: Hall on 23rd Feb, 2006 - 9:26pm

Post Date: 27th Feb, 2006 - 7:15am / Post ID: #

Are You A Game Master?
A Friend

Master Game You Are

1. Every so often for the past few years
2. To be honest I was the only I in my group at the time who didn't mind doing it
3. Initially from the guide but have much more experienced friend who gave a lot of tips, also read a fair number of pre-done adventures so I know whats expected
4. Don't have stable role-playing group often get new members. Though in general I get good ratings my dedication depends a lot on how keen the players are. If the keen and experienced I go to great lengths if there lack-luster then I Don't see the point
5. I much rather be a player though I respect that it takes a lot of work and dedication to be a GM

26th Feb, 2009 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Are You A Game Master?

I tried being a DM or game master for a very short time. I was never good at keping things together. I've come to prefer being a player. The only problem is finding a good DM / game master willing to put out a good scenario.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Feb, 2009 - 7:18pm / Post ID: #

Are You A Game Master?
A Friend

Are You Game Master

Yes I am a game master. I like to have fun with the character players. I have a lot of scenarios that are ready for people. I usually get a feel of the characters while they are in town. I can whip up a scenario by just getting a group together.

28th Feb, 2009 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Are You Game Master Board Card & RPG Reviews

5. Would you rather be a player?

1 - since I was about 19, so about 16 years, though naturally most of my initial GMing wasn't very good or coherent

2 - necessity and interest both, I had the games and came closer than anyone else in being able to figure out how to run things, plus by having them be the players I was able to see the system itself top-down and see if we were doing things wrong

3 - seat-of-the-pants and a few helpful "how to" boxes text sections in a few games, and later by being able to be a player of experienced GMs so I could learn nuances, and finally reading on the net

4 - I'd give myself a 3 maybe a 3.5 out of 5, if I have a scenario and information prepared and am ready - I don't do very well coming up with things entirely on the fly, though I can improvise from a solid foundational idea or scenario to keep things running smoothly

5 - as noted in 4, as long as I have a good scenario and have gone over it and assessed the characters to get a good idea for how I need to prepare, I think I can GM well, but most/sometimes I'm just not in the mood, and playing, although not an entirely passive activity, definitely takes less prepwork and effort than GMing

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Are You A Game Master?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,