Cross

Cross - Studies of Catholicism - Posted: 8th Jun, 2005 - 9:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 17th May, 2004 - 3:10pm / Post ID: #

Cross
A Friend

Cross

Why does the cross represent the Savior Jesus Christ and why is the symbol on many Christian churches?

Message Edited!
Persephone corrected spelling and grammar.

Sponsored Links:
17th May, 2004 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Cross

The history of the cross is truly ancient, and very complex.

Within Catholocism, the crucifix, which is a cross with the figure of Christ on it, is the predominant symbol, because of the idea that Christ died for our sins. That is, Christ's death pays the price for our sins (choices).

Protestant churches generally use a cross, without the figure of Christ, to represent the fact that while Christ died for our sins, He was resurrected, thus overcame death.

LDS believe both things, but don't really have any specific outward symbols of Jesus Christ. We have a lot of symbols, for a lot of different aspects of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but nothing specific FOR Jesus Christ.

The discussion about the cross can get much more involved, going back to long before Christianity, but this covers some of the main points.

Post Date: 22nd Feb, 2005 - 10:23am / Post ID: #

Cross
A Friend

Cross Catholicism Studies

I have always thought that the cross was a poor symbol for christianity to use. The cross was used long before Christ and was always associated with criminals and the death penalty. It was used as such after his crucifixion too. The cross to me represents torture, cruelty, and death. To me, looking up to and or praying to a cross is the equivalent of where a little electric chair around your neck, it wouldn't make sense because its a tool of death, as is the cross, no matter who died on it.

Post Date: 23rd Feb, 2005 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

Cross
A Friend

Cross

NOTE: Persephone - this topic was originally started in the Religions Board and hence this offtopic about the Protestant beliefs was allowed at that time, but after this post the rest of the thread MUST remain on Catholic beliefs with regards to the cross.

To me, looking up to and or praying to a cross

I don't know about Catholicism, but I know from a Protestant point of view, more narrowly a Southern Baptist point of view, we don't pray to the cross. The cross is a symbol, and not to be used as an idol which is prayed to. I don't know if that's what you meant by that parto of your statement, but I just wanted to give a little bit of input about that.

To many, the cross is a reminder of what happened with Jesus. Yes, it was used many years before the crucifixion, but most people associate it with the death of Jesus. To me, it's a reminder of what Jesus went through so that I could have a personal relationship with God. I do think of the suffering He went through, but it also reminds me that after that suffering He rose again on the third day. That is what brings the feeling of triumph for me. That Jesus didn't stay dead, but that He rose and now sits at the right hand of God.

Another thing the cross reminds me of is how much Jesus loves me. The fact that he was willing to endure so much agony for me, somebody who is so unworthy, motivates me to try to live a better life, and to live my life trying to mirror that act of humility. While the crucifixion is one of the most horrible things to have happened, with it came victory. The Bible states that the moment Jesus died was the moment the devil knew he had lost. It's a victory against Satan, because Jesus was that eternal payment of sin.

That's a reason why so many Christians look to the cross as a symbol. It reminds us of the price that was paid for our sins and our transgressions. It reminds us of the love that God has for us. Sometimes when I'm feeling so discouraged and I'm in my car, I wrap my hand around the cross I have hanging from my mirror. (For the record, I have a really small car, so it's possible to do that while driving.) Just running my fingers over the symbol reminds me that I'm not alone, and that God is with me through everything.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2005 - 6:04am / Post ID: #

Cross
A Friend

Cross

I do have a question about the Catholic use of the cross. What is the purpose of making the cross on your person when praying or during other rituals? In Kabbalah, they also do a cross touching from fore head to solarplex, the right shoulder to left shoulder. I'm curious as to the purpose it is supposed to server. Does it offer some sort of protection, or is it merely symbolic of the cross that Jesus died on? I do know that many things done in the Catholic church are not considered symbolic, such as the Eucharist, so I'm wondering if the cross is symbolic or something considered "real"?

31st Mar, 2005 - 11:01am / Post ID: #

Cross

To me, looking up to and or praying to a cross is the equivalent of where a little electric chair around your neck, it wouldn't make sense because its a tool of death, as is the cross, no matter who died on it.

This is my understanding of why you do not find crosses in LDS churches and we do not, generally wear them. The cross was an instrument of death. If my father dies from a gunshot wound saving me from an intruder in our home, for example, would I then wear an image of a gun around my neck to remind me of the sacrifice he made for me? Not likely. I would likely keep lots of his pictures around, but probably not pictures of him with his gunshot wound and all bloody.

Now, I am not criticizing those who choose to wear crosses. I understand that the symbolism derived from them today is far removed from looking upon that cross as an instrument of death. However, I am suggesting that the original decision to revere such an image might be questionable. Today people view the cross as an instrument in salvation. We are so far removed from days when crucifixion took place that we don't see the cross like we would look at a gun. However, when people first began to wear the cross, I wonder what they were thinking.

Does anyone know what the original thinking was along these lines?

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 31st Mar, 2005 - 11:04am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 28th Apr, 2005 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Cross
A Friend

Cross

The initial question posed "Why does the cross represent the Savior Jesus Christ and why is the symbol on many Christian churches?"

At the age of 7, I sat in the back pew of St Joseph's Catholic Church in Firebaugh, Ca... looking at the large cross with the figure of the crucified Christ upon it. I could not take my eyes off it the first time I was taken to Mass by the Gijadas with whom I lived for a year. In Catechism, I asked about this and was shown a picture by the Sister of Moses holding up a long pole with a tiny cross bar near the top supporting a fashioned serpent for the people to look upon for the healing of their snake bites (Num 21:8).

I don't remember what the sister said but it satisfied me that the crucifix reminded us that as we look upon Jesus in faith who became sin (serpent) for us, we would be 'healed' of that penalty of spiritual death. So even though I didn't catch the complete significance at the age of 7 that I later did... I sensed in my little spirit the connection of looking upon the crucified Christ which gave me comfort that I would not gain hell if I accepted by faith Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

Later I learned the significance of the crossing of the upper and and both sides of the door posts with the blood of a lamb when the death angel passed over (Ex 12:7).

I believe these two witnesses among others in the Bible is why the Cross is a standard symbol of the Faith and why when it is first looked upon, folks think of Jesus [in most cases I believe... well... I didn't take a poll... smile.gif].

It is an instrument of death... it represents all the ugliness of sin, pride, and man's failure. But it also represnts the love of God in Christ reaching out to a lost world on the horizontal cross beam to us and God reaching down to us in the vertical.

Brother Paul wrote in 1Cor 1:18 ...For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

So for me, back among the 'litergist' expressions as my first exposure to the Gospel... one of the very first recollections of Christ and his love, was the Cross. And maybe that's one reason why for me at least, it represents Christ and Christian Churches.

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2005 - 9:09pm / Post ID: #

Cross
A Friend

Cross Studies Catholicism

An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words (London, 1962), W. E. Vine, p. 256 says the shape of the [two-beamed cross] had its origin in ancient Chaldea, and was used as the symbol of the god Tammuz in that country and in adjacent lands, including Egypt. By the middle of the 3rd cent. A.D. the churches had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration by faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in its most frequent form, with the cross-piece lowered, was adopted to stand for the cross of Christ."-

I don't know how many different publications agree with this, but there are a lot. I don't understand why Catholics use it either since it seems to be clearly rooted in "pagan" religious beliefs. To say that it is a reminder of his sacrifice seems to lessen the importance of it. The cross itself is nothing. My best friend was hit and killed by a car saving his sisters life. She is certainly not going to give any added significance to the automobile because it caused his death. It is the blood Christ shed his death that has significance. My opinion is that the cross or stake as some believe should have little to no place in worship.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Cross

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,