Did Nephi Need His Brothers?

Did Nephi Brothers - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Mar, 2008 - 8:16am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
19th Dec, 2005 - 11:54am / Post ID: #

In a recent reading of 1st Nephi we see where Laman threw away his lot to be the future leader and possibly Prophet as the Eldest son of Lehi because of his constant rebellion against God. Nephi took over and was able to take them back to Jerusalem, get the plates, talk to Ishmael, etc. At no time do we see his brothers (including Sam) really do anything that he could not have done on his own - so we have to wonder, did he really need his brothers?

We could argue that Sam may have helped him in a way that is not emphasized such as support. We could also say that they each took watch so that sleep could be had, but these things are not mentioned. Later in the Book we see where building the ship definitely required his brothers, but other than that it seemed they were more of a hinderance than anything else.

Offtopic but,
This made me reflect on how we have to sometime work with people that hate us or even cause more trouble than good, but it seems to be the Lord's way of helping us to grow. We can liken it to callings, work, school, etc. It surely is not easy as everyone has agency, but the Lord will always help us if we maintain His standards.

Sponsored Links:
19th Dec, 2005 - 8:17pm / Post ID: #

Brothers Need Nephi Did

Oh yes, I think Nephi needed his brothers. The example you gave about the ship is a vital one in the whole trip to the Promised land, they worked as a team several times when they had to go and hunt for food and even though the Book of Mormon may not emphasised other things they may have done, just the opposition itself was very important for Nephi's growth, after all in the BOM says that we need opposition in all things.

Post Date: 26th Dec, 2005 - 8:37am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Did Nephi Need His Brothers? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Nephi needed his brothers wickedness to help himself measure his own righteousness. As we should use the wickedness of our "brothers and sisters" wickedness as a way for us to measure our righteousness. Do we do things that the worldly do, (ie watch rated R movies, participate in sexual jokes) or do we shun those things.

If I didn't have someone I know that is wicked by their lifestyle to help me realize what I need to change then I myself would probably follow the same path and not realize it.

Post Date: 21st Jun, 2006 - 8:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Brothers Need Nephi Did

Trinidad, if Nephi had went alone to Laban it would have been an insult to Laban. Lehi sending his youngest son would be disrespectful. They would have had a far greater chance with Lehi's oldest son and rightful heir Laman. This is why Laman attempts to retrieve the records first. Ofcourse he fails and that is when Nephi must rely on the Lord to help them get the plates.

21st Jun, 2006 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

Brothers Need Nephi Did

Red, first off it is "JB", second where did you get that info from? It says they cast lots and it fell upon Laman, in other words they rolled dice to see who would go.

Offtopic but,
At least take the time to update your profile, since you did not fill in the Registration form as was required upon joining.

Post Date: 22nd Jun, 2006 - 9:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well JB, I think it is common knowledge that in Israel at that time the oldest son was heir to the estate much as it was everywhere in the ancient world. You are right that they did cast lots to see who would go. My assumption is that Lehi wanted Laman to ask and he refused when they got there forcing the group to cast lots. 1Nephi 3:4-8 foreshadows the events to come. Lehi has told Laman and Lemuel that they are to get the records before he told Nephi anything about it and they murmurmed against Lehi. Then Nephi says that he will make sure it is done and Lehi says that he is blessed of the Lord. This foreshadowing suggests that the responsibility was to fall on one of the other two( Laman most likely), that they would fail, and Nephi would have to accomplish the task. Remember this is a brief account given by Nephi on the small plates so he does not have room to explain every detail. Is it really that hard to imagine Laman shucking his responsibility and forcing them to cast lots during their "counsel"?

Tangent...wasn't casting lots against Jewish law? I'm not sure but I thought it was. If so that is more evidence that Nephi certainly wouldn't have suggested such. And if Nephi was supposed to get the plates to begin with, then why would they cast lots at all? It seems unlike Nephi to be afraid or to run from his responsibility.

It would also seem strange that Lehi would not designate someone in particular to ask Laban. It only makes good sense that since Lehi was not going that he would get the next highest ranking member of his family to go in his stead to be respectful to Laban and increase their chances of recieving the plates.

Laman probably losing the lots was all too fitting, as it was probably his responsibility to begin with and his idea to cast lots. That's rich irony.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Jun, 2006 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Did Nephi Need Brothers

QUOTE (Red)
My assumption is that Lehi wanted Laman to ask and he refused when they got there forcing the group to cast lots.

That is the problem with your writing... you ASSUME too much and state everything as though it were fact. Everyone can assume, be opinionated, or make speculations, but when doing so, especially with scriptural references - they should state "In my opinion...".

3rd Mar, 2008 - 8:16am / Post ID: #

Did Nephi Need Brothers Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (Red @ 22-Jun 06, 1:36 PM)
wasn't casting lots against Jewish law? I'm not sure but I thought it was. If so that is more evidence that Nephi certainly wouldn't have suggested such.

Does anyone know IF it was indeed against their law? Just wondering, one of those tidbits of info!
*`*`*`*
I think, in my opinion, that we have to remember that Nephi was telling the story--I couldn't find anywhere that it stated it was actually Nephi's idea to cast the lots. I am not sure if Red was saying that he did or just stating that it gave further evidence that he didn't.

I agree with LDS on this. We were just reading 2 Nephi tonight and came across the opposition scripture. It is part of the plan and will be until we are done here. Nephi is the one who teaches us to "liken the scriptures" unto ourselves. If the scriptures weren't full of examples of others going through it where would we learn it from?

The other important thing I picked out as I read it, Nephi didn't actually "take over" until AFTER Laman got back from the first try. It was then that the brothers wanted to return home and Nephi bore strong testimony of the fact that God lived and would help them accomplish the thing that he had commanded them to do. When we look back at the referenced vs. 1 Nephi 3: 4-8; it does tell us that the other brothers murmured but they STILL WENT. They were obedient--they just were not happy about it. At the beginning of this chapter we find that Nephi had just returned from talking to the Lord. At least for me, I always find it easier to obey when I am on a spiritual "high" then when I am lower and not so quick to obey. I think that Nephi definitely had that in his favor--he WANTED to know and desired to be righteous so he was able to feel the Spirit.

I do find it interesting in the area of lessons that they did not get the plates the second time either. (He needed their help to physically carry that out, my husband pointed out to me). Nephi was trying to keep the commandments of the Lord but I think there may be something to the fact he tried to purchase it with worldly riches. I don't really know--it was just a thought I had. It also shows us that the way the Lord prepares doesn't always match our own plans--and we have to not give up but try to find HIS way.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Did Nephi Need His Brothers?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,