Mother Teresa - Studies of Catholicism - Posted: 31st Aug, 2007 - 1:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Discuss  Mother Teresa
Post Date: 28th Dec, 2005 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mother Teresa

Nun Bun on the run..

NASHVILLE (Reuters) - Nashville police and residents were searching Monday for clues to the Christmas Day theft of a cinnamon bun that found unlikely fame for its resemblance to the late Mother Teresa's face. The bun has been a draw for curious tourists since it was preserved and put on display in a glass case at the shop where it was discovered by a customer in 1996. Ref. Source

Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
28th Dec, 2005 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Teresa Mother

I think people see what the -need- to see when they -need- to see it. It's like when you see something spiritual when you are in the darkest depth of need for spiritual guidance. We see programs on television with people seeing saints in windowpanes. Maybe it's simple proof that spirituality is all around us. Every form, not just the one you're most comfortable with. It's too hard to call that coincidence, especially when you're really feeling lost and you see the next commercial on television is for a church or something. It's just proof that the great out there is watching out for all of us, no matter what you "believe" in.

28th Dec, 2005 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

Mother Teresa Catholicism Studies

Well written NightVision and I agree, however I will add... why can't they choose something better than food? Last time it was toast, now it is a bun... I will say that the only reason it is not clouds in the sky is because you cannot sell those!

25th Aug, 2007 - 4:27am / Post ID: #

Teresa Mother

Stumbled across this article, and read it with some interest. It's definitely worth a read, and it sounds like the book will be also.

Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith
Thursday, Aug. 23, 2007 By DAVID VAN BIEMA

.... A new, innocuously titled book, Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light (Doubleday), consisting primarily of correspondence between Teresa and her confessors and superiors over a period of 66 years, provides the spiritual counterpoint to a life known mostly through its works. The letters, many of them preserved against her wishes (she had requested that they be destroyed but was overruled by her church), reveal that for the last nearly half-century of her life she felt no presence of God whatsoever - or, as the book's compiler and editor, the Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk, writes, "neither in her heart or in the eucharist."

....The book is hardly the work of some antireligious investigative reporter who Dumpster-dived for Teresa's correspondence. Kolodiejchuk, a senior Missionaries of Charity member, is her postulator, responsible for petitioning for her sainthood and collecting the supporting materials. (Thus far she has been beatified; the next step is canonization.) The letters in the book were gathered as part of that process.

....Teresa found ways, starting in the early 1960s, to live with it and abandoned neither her belief nor her work. Kolodiejchuk produced the book as proof of the faith-filled perseverance that he sees as her most spiritually heroic act.

....Says Christopher Hitchens, author of The Missionary Position, a scathing polemic on Teresa, and more recently of the atheist manifesto God Is Not Great: "She was no more exempt from the realization that religion is a human fabrication than any other person, and that her attempted cure was more and more professions of faith could only have deepened the pit that she had dug for herself."

....Come Be My Light is that rare thing, a posthumous autobiography that could cause a wholesale reconsideration of a major public figure - one way or another. It raises questions about God and faith, the engine behind great achievement, and the persistence of love, divine and human. That it does so not in any organized, intentional form but as a hodgepodge of desperate notes not intended for daylight should leave readers only more convinced that it is authentic - and that they are, somewhat shockingly, touching the true inner life of a modern saint.

31st Aug, 2007 - 1:18pm / Post ID: #

Teresa Mother

I would really like the thoughts, opinions, feelings of my fellow forumites here with regards to the secret letters Mother Theresa wrote through the years. This wonderful woman who dedicated her life to give service to others but that sometimes (admitted by her) did not know if God existed. Faith struggle or hard to find God in the middle of Calcutta?

I call, I cling, I want - and there is no One to answer - no One on Whom I can cling . . . there is nothing, but emptiness & darkness. . . . What do I labour for? If there be no God - there can be no soul - if there is no Soul then Jesus - You also are not true. . . .I utter words of Community prayers - and try my utmost to get out of every word the sweetness it has to give - But my prayer of union is not there any longer - I no longer pray. . . . Jesus: the Absent One. . . . I have come to love the darkness - for I believe now that it is part of a very, very small part of Jesus" darkness & pain on earth.

Jesus has a very special love for you. As for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great that I look and do not see, listen and do not hear. the tongue moves [in prayer] but does not speak ... I want you to pray for me - that I let Him have [a] free hand

. "The smile," she writes, is "a mask" or "a cloak that covers everything." Similarly, she wonders whether she is engaged in verbal deception. "I spoke as if my very heart was in love with God - tender, personal love," she remarks to an adviser. "If you were [there], you would have said, 'What hypocrisy.'"
"If there be God - please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul."

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295033,00.html

And in the 1960s, after she received a prize for her work with the poorest of the poor in Calcutta, she wrote:

"This means nothing to me, because I don't have Him."

Why was she "tormented" this way?

31st Aug, 2007 - 1:38pm / Post ID: #

Mother Teresa

Not just sometimes.... it seems her whole life, once she started on her path of dedication to the poor, she did not feel the presence of God.

I think it's a horrible place to be for someone so stalwart in her position, who so longed for that peace and could never receive it. But I have no answers or even opinions as to "Why?" she should be denied the Comforter - if that indeed is what happened.

What a tragic situation for this dear woman. I think there is a special place in the Kingdom for Teresa.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st Aug, 2007 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

Mother Teresa

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 31-Aug 07, 9:38 AM)
Not just sometimes.... it seems her whole life, once she started on her path of dedication to the poor, she did not feel the presence of God.

That's true, she admitted she felt like this from the begining of her work. Two things I can think of: That maybe seeing starving and sick people every single day of your life it is hard to see God in the middle of so much suffering or Satan used all his power to discouraged her which is one of the tools he uses with each one of us.

Post Date: 31st Aug, 2007 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

Mother Teresa
A Friend

Mother Teresa Studies Catholicism

I found the article interesting, and can see how those opposed to the Catholic Church or God would use it against her. But in my view, it makes her real and is a testament to her faith.

Rather off topic, but...
What does this have to do with her face on a bun?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mother Teresa

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,