The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth - Page 6 of 6

I've seen what some parents have to - Page 6 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 22nd May, 2020 - 1:29pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 6 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 
Add Reply QReply
Top  The Media' s Portrayal Autism There is lots more to Autism than what you can get from watching a documentary. In fact for some parents coping with the challenges on a daily basis it can be comparitive to wrestling with the Hulk!
Post Date: 21st Dec, 2019 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

Member Graced
[?] CPosts: 42
Avg: 1.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 27.7%
[+] Gain: 15.00 FP
Charm: 5

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth - Page 6

Recently I saw a positive example, in a most unlikely place: a workplace video dealing with poor workplace behaviour, and the Aspie was NOT the negative character, quite the opposite. Whilst traits were a little over dramatised, to be expected in order to set the scene, they were well done. The character was female, quirky, professional, working hard in her cubicle by herself with noise cancelling headphones, was initially portrayed by the other characters as being in her own world and not noticing the poor behaviour of the perpetrator, when in fact she had actually noticed everything and kept a detailed record of his malfeasance. She was also held to account for not speaking up earlier, so was treated equitably in my opinion.

The only jokes thrown out whilst my workplace watched it revolved around how she was “the female version of our Derphantom!”. Internal monologue: shut up and cease drawing attention to me before too many others connect the dots.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 22nd May, 2020 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

Member Veteran
[?] CPosts: 59
Avg: 0.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 17.9%
[+] Gain: 7.26 FP
Charm: 15

Truth and Autism Portrayal Medias The

I've seen what some parents have to cope with and its really amazing how they hold it together. The yelling, screaming, biting and fits at any moment would have anyone on edge. I don't know if I could handle it so my respect goes to parents that do this job so well.

+  « First of 6 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 
Sponsored Links:

Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

# Characters:
# Words:
# Sentences:
# Paragraphs:
Reading Time:
Optional:
Search

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2020
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,

Latest Topics

Key: Background for Upgraded Members
Updated every 5 minutes See More

Latest Member Intro

Newest Members

Updated every: 31 minutes

Entertainment

Movies & Music Discussion from our Community:
Lara Flynn Boyle:
  Lara Flynn Boyle Actress By Opinion 1 Hour Ago
Sheila Kiss - Bikini Body In 60s:
Discuss  Sheila Kiss,Bikini Body In 60s By Opinion 1 Hour Ago